Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ebay listing + email address  (Read 5665 times)

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
Re: Ebay listing + email address
« Reply #15 on: 11 August 2006, 12:49:30 »

Yup, set Outlook up as POP3/SMTP, and set up settings in Gmail settings for POP3.  IIRC, Gmail uses odd port numbers, but you should be able to bluff your way through...

Cheers for that shall get it setup asap.

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 August 2006, 12:54:16 »

Jaime,

If you could pop one of those in my direction it will be much appreciated. :)
The Administrator.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 August 2006, 14:07:37 »

Jaime,

If you could pop one of those in my direction it will be much appreciated. :)
Invite sent...
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11 August 2006, 14:09:01 »

Well it would be if it didn't just return as undeliverable  :-[ - I'll try it again to your proper address, not the mistypred one....
Grumpy old man

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #19 on: 11 August 2006, 14:42:15 »

I assumed you used the link 'ask the seller a question' and put your email address in there?

If this is the case then yes the seller can show the question revealing your email address when they reply to it.

The way i do it to avoid this...is to use the link 'contact member' and tick the box that says 'reveal your email address' if you want the seller to be able to email extra pics etc. Remember tho if you do it this way to mention which ad the question refers to as they have more than one ad going.

Cheers

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11 August 2006, 14:45:59 »

I assumed you used the link 'ask the seller a question' and put your email address in there?

If this is the case then yes the seller can show the question revealing your email address when they reply to it.

The way i do it to avoid this...is to use the link 'contact member' and tick the box that says 'reveal your email address' if you want the seller to be able to email extra pics etc. Remember tho if you do it this way to mention which ad the question refers to as they have more than one ad going.

Cheers

Yeah thats the way I did it, using ask seller a question button wish I hadn't now though.

Thing is I did the same thing (inc email address) to another member a few months back and he was able to remove it without any problems, whether Ebay have changed the way they do things I dont know.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #21 on: 11 August 2006, 14:54:22 »

Cheers

Yeah thats the way I did it, using ask seller a question button wish I hadn't now though.

Thing is I did the same thing (inc email address) to another member a few months back and he was able to remove it without any problems, whether Ebay have changed the way they do things I dont know.

Im not sure, but i expect the seller has the chance to edit, during his reply. But once posted then i suspect its too late to do anything about it.
May be just a case of the seller not thinking what he was doing, until too late

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 11 August 2006, 14:54:57 »

I use multiple 'free' mail accounts, mainly gmail, and redirect them all to my real email which only goes to family and friends. Then as soon as one gets compromised, I just take divert off and abandon it.
Grumpy old man

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 11 August 2006, 14:57:26 »

Looks like I'm going to have to abandon my main account, I liked it as it had my name in which is why I am mainly concerned what with it being there for all to see.

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 11 August 2006, 15:25:23 »

Well abit shocked :o just had an email from Ebay and from the message if needs be I can get the listing removed, but I think I will give the seller the benefit of the doubt to revise his listing shall see what he does.
« Last Edit: 11 August 2006, 15:25:54 by nixoro »

mr des

• limerick, ireland
  • Doh
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 11 August 2006, 17:34:45 »

Well abit shocked :o just had an email from Ebay and from the message if needs be I can get the listing removed, but I think I will give the seller the benefit of the doubt to revise his listing shall see what he does.
well done thats the gentlemanly thing to do lots of people out there just arnt as computer litterate as others and the benifits of ebay being so accesible to everyone far outway the downsides but i have the upmost sympathy for your inconvenience as ive had the odd bad experience but also the odd mega bargain swings and roudabouts i guess
i want to shine in the eye of orion but i drove my sole through the black hole

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 11 August 2006, 18:09:43 »

the other thing to do is to always send the message to the seller via the ebay messaging system and select the option to hide YOUR email address. That way they won't have your address - plus when they reply all the relevant dialogue is stored on ebay, which is very handy should a dispute arise  ;)

I've also got some gmail invites available  :)
« Last Edit: 11 August 2006, 18:15:29 by sounds2k »

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 14 August 2006, 15:13:11 »

All sorted I think
« Last Edit: 14 August 2006, 16:39:24 by nixoro »

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 14 August 2006, 17:52:55 »

Sumary of what has happened so far, basically when I first noticed my email address I emailed the seller as you do and asked for him/her to remove it, an email was received stating only Ebay can do this, and at this point I contacted Ebay and a second email was sent again asking for its removal and in the end I received a rather nasty email from the seller which I forwarded onto Ebay and I recieved an email today from ebay and it looks like the listing has been removed by Ebay themselves.

The email I recieved from the seller Implied I was harrassing him/her which was completely false.

So it looks like I had a result, but I dont think it will be the last I hear of the seller.
« Last Edit: 14 August 2006, 21:48:14 by nixoro »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 14 August 2006, 20:25:55 »

...... but I dont think it will be the last I hear of the seller.
As it's unlikely he/she'll turn up on the door step it's not something I'd lose sleep over.  ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.