Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Worx Hydroshot (Or Other)  (Read 1522 times)

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
Worx Hydroshot (Or Other)
« on: 05 May 2020, 17:03:56 »

Afternoon All.

I'm looking to buy something like the Worx Hydroshot, as I don't have access to an outside tap where I live. Installing a tap is also not a possibility. It'll be fed by a 25Gallon drum which is kept in my van and topped up whenever I'm near a suitable tap.

It will solely be used to wash the cars/vans, and probably only two cars at a time, so it doesn't need to be Karcher K7 power. There is no intention of using it to clean patio's etc.

I have a massive compliment of Makita tools, and would more than likely use a battery adaptor to run it. I've got somewhere in the region of 15x5ah, 10x4ah and more than I can count of 3ah Makita batteries.

So what I want to know is, are they good enough to wash a car? Is it something I'll get enjoyment out of (I enjoy washing cars) or will it frustrate me and make me return to the local £15 a week car wash people?

Many Thanks.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
Re: Worx Hydroshot (Or Other)
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2020, 12:10:56 »

By the time you've bought the hydroshot and a battery adapter, wouldn't you be better off with a small 240v pressure washer and a 240v inverter for your van?

I've never used a hydroshot so can't comment, just an alternative suggestion as I'm guessing the Worx won't have the power to run a snowfoam lance or similar, which could be handy for the cars  :y

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2020, 13:16:31 »

I'd look into buying a simple cheap 100 W version of a Diaphragm pump like this clicky

I have one ,it's noisy like a pressure washer but add some garden hose and fittings ,plus a power lead to run it off the battery (croc clips) with the engine running , you can get a decent jet of water from standard hose pipe fittings 

I have another fitted to my Koi pond rotary drum filter to un-clog the fine mesh squirting water through agricultural spray jets .

the 100 W version will blow fuses if you plug into the ciggy lighter ,so run it off a battery  :y

video example on youtube

with pumps ,try and get the feed tank high up so the pump is more efficient ,the more "head" you get the better  ;D

i'm not a fan of expensive tools that have their own expensive battery that needs charging all the time,dies and needs replacing ££££

cars have 12 volts on tap  :)

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2020, 23:51:28 »

Afternoon All.

I'm looking to buy something like the Worx Hydroshot, as I don't have access to an outside tap where I live. Installing a tap is also not a possibility. It'll be fed by a 25Gallon drum which is kept in my van and topped up whenever I'm near a suitable tap.

It will solely be used to wash the cars/vans, and probably only two cars at a time, so it doesn't need to be Karcher K7 power. There is no intention of using it to clean patio's etc.

I have a massive compliment of Makita tools, and would more than likely use a battery adaptor to run it. I've got somewhere in the region of 15x5ah, 10x4ah and more than I can count of 3ah Makita batteries.

So what I want to know is, are they good enough to wash a car? Is it something I'll get enjoyment out of (I enjoy washing cars) or will it frustrate me and make me return to the local £15 a week car wash people?

Many Thanks.
i was in the same predicament 2 yrs ago so bought a worx & found it ok ,did the job. i also purchased a more powerful battery for mine. earlier on this year did a hard standing at the front of the property i live in. so now have one of those self winding hose reels.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2020, 10:39:44 »

By the time you've bought the hydroshot and a battery adapter, wouldn't you be better off with a small 240v pressure washer and a 240v inverter for your van?

I've never used a hydroshot so can't comment, just an alternative suggestion as I'm guessing the Worx won't have the power to run a snowfoam lance or similar, which could be handy for the cars  :y

Sadly probably a non starter as they are big power consumers and, the decent ones, have an induction motor which has a big inrush current.

Would need a 3Kw+ capable one and off 12V that's about 280 amps at 90% efficiency  :o :o :y

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2020, 08:18:21 »

Ouch! Well, you learn something new every day.

TBH I had no idea they drew that much current!  :D

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2020, 22:15:04 »

Ouch! Well, you learn something new every day.

TBH I had no idea they drew that much current!  :D
  the worx that i mentioned i have is not that bad, did my 2.2dti estate easily enough. though i did buy a bigger battery tho cannot remember having to use both batteries to wash my car.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2020, 22:20:41 »

Bloke at work has a portable jet wash thingy.

If I ever go back there, I shall endeavour to ask...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 May 2020, 01:52:00 »

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Jim, thanks, but it won't work  ;D (Thanks to Mark for clarification)

Dave, it's a great idea, but I really want a neat solution that I can just pull out of the van and use.  I do understand your point of stupid prices for batteries, which is why I've accumulated so many Makita batteries (my tool of choice (fnar).  I've used adaptors for various products with great success, so hopefully this will work too!

Ray, Awesome, so you have one!  I've had to wash my cars/vans with buckets, and as such, it's more of a monthly occurance than the once almost daily thing.  Basically, I just want to wet the car down, then hand wash with a mitt and then wash the car off with clean water.  I take it from your reply it's more than capable of doing that?

DG, Please let me know if you do find out.

I've watched numerous 'reviews' on t'Tube and it seems fine for what I need it to do.  They aren't a lot of money, and I suppose if it's absolute garbage I could always send it back.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.