Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: low adblue  (Read 6098 times)

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
low adblue
« on: 10 May 2020, 23:30:15 »

this DS4 I have through up a warning about ad-blue needed a top-up & i immediatley topped up. however the urea warning remained .when i got home i looked up probable cause & the warning i got shows an orange light initially & although it needs an adblue top up i should get 900mls before its critical. if i ignore then a red warning light appears ,carry on ignoring & eventually the engine wont start,. the urea tank holds 17ltrs, but there is no way of knowing how much is in . i topped up initially with 1.5 ltrs then i had a 5ltr at home & put that in too. took it for a drive and after 2mls the urea warning went off . however the eml is on. saying all that the car is performing as it should so wonder if its just a matter of clearing the fault , .open to any words of wisdom , i havent a clue.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: low adblue
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2020, 23:43:14 »

That may not be the only fault. Possibly that it needs a regen hence the sudden increase in adblue consumption.

Trudging around short, slow infrequent journies will make George Best look sober ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2020, 00:01:09 »

That may not be the only fault. Possibly that it needs a regen hence the sudden increase in adblue consumption.

Trudging around short, slow infrequent journies will make George Best look sober ;D
i do give it a good thrash now & then , what i omitted to say that may be relevant , when i booked it in for a dealership service they told me that the ds 4 were on recall because of a cat problem, but they cancelled because of covid so i used my local garage so,s i could get a service stamp.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2020, 07:11:23 »

Hoof'land storeman.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2020, 07:53:19 »

Ah the curse of adblue.

So first a little overview of the system.

In simple terms, there is a pump that injects adblue into the front pipe upstream of the appropriate catalyst for NOx reduction, this then mixes with the exhaust gases, reaction takes place on the surface of the Cat, low NOx on the output.

What is also happening is that there are NOx sensors checking the exhaust, always post Cat and often also pre-cat.

When you re-fill the adblue, the system checks the quality based on the volume of fluid injected and NOx post cat, its the only time it does a quality check!.

If you got the codes read I would expect it to be an Adblue quality fault.

Of course, there is probably nothing wrong with the Adblue, usually its a furred up injector, failing NOx sensor or even an EGR fault further upstream

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2020, 10:10:18 »

You've overlooked the obvious...

It's French :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2020, 10:12:18 »

You've over looked the obvious...

Its still the Bosch system .....  ;D ;D ;D ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2020, 17:02:43 »

You've over looked the obvious...

Its still the Bosch system .....  ;D ;D ;D ;D
But on a French loom ;D
Grumpy old man

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2020, 22:05:53 »

this DS4 I have through up a warning about ad-blue needed a top-up & i immediatley topped up. however the urea warning remained .when i got home i looked up probable cause & the warning i got shows an orange light initially & although it needs an adblue top up i should get 900mls before its critical. if i ignore then a red warning light appears ,carry on ignoring & eventually the engine wont start,. the urea tank holds 17ltrs, but there is no way of knowing how much is in . i topped up initially with 1.5 ltrs then i had a 5ltr at home & put that in too. took it for a drive and after 2mls the urea warning went off . however the eml is on. saying all that the car is performing as it should so wonder if its just a matter of clearing the fault , .open to any words of wisdom , i havent a clue.

an update on above post. had a diagnostic codes read ect, the guy doing the test concluded it the adblu pump at fault & advised its a dealership job. he must have cleared the faults as no warnings lights on at all as i drove the 1/2 mile distance to my house. i then had a journey of about 15miles doing motorway speeds. car running perfectly , whats more no sign of any fault lights. i thought if the adblue pump was faulty the big red mid warning re Faulty emissions would have appeared again & thr urea light would have come back on.  :-\ :-\

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 May 2020, 10:09:29 »

Just fill the ad blue tank to the brim,It will possibly sort its life out then.My lad topped up his Skoda Karoq part way and the car wasn't happy so he filled it and the problem went away
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 May 2020, 10:43:17 »

What were the fault codes?

I don't buy the pump guess, it is a sad indication of just how little knowledge there is of these systems in the trade  :-[

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 May 2020, 11:44:59 »

What were the fault codes?

I don't buy the pump guess, it is a sad indication of just how little knowledge there is of these systems in the trade  :-[
i dont know the any of the fault codes. but my update i have spoken to a knowledgeable friend of mine & he too doesn,t buy the pump being at fault.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 May 2020, 12:26:22 »

Just fill the ad blue tank to the brim,It will possibly sort its life out then.My lad topped up his Skoda Karoq part way and the car wasn't happy so he filled it and the problem went away

I've yet to have any sort of Adblue message on my ML and have just added a gallon every now & then in the last 12 months/10000miles. I'm not able to get an Adblue tank level indication so haven't a clue what's in there.

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 May 2020, 17:57:23 »

I've yet to have any sort of Adblue message on my ML and have just added a gallon every now & then in the last 12 months/10000miles. I'm not able to get an Adblue tank level indication so haven't a clue what's in there.
exactly how it is for me. still no eml or urea nor is the big red warning about emission control that appears when the ignition is turned. i cant see there being an adblu problem . plus i may have caused something without me following the correct procedure.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 May 2020, 17:40:06 »

Would it help if I just pissed in my tank?  If I did it on a non-lockdown Friday evening, it would have some kick to it :D
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.