Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega Pfl manual heater controls  (Read 928 times)

MonzaGSE

• Intermediate Member
  • Norway
    • 95 Opel Omega mv6
    • View Profile
Omega Pfl manual heater controls
« on: 05 February 2019, 06:56:03 »

This is not a request for help, more a general rant/complaint. I’ve driven Omegas and little else for the past 10 years but only 94-95 cars. (Opel sold a lot of Omegas in the early years in Norway). We currently run a fleet of 3 Omegas. I drive one, my girlfriend another and a third serves AS backup vehicle in case some problem should happen with one of the others. The last car i bought this summer was a 97 pfl Omega and at first glance it looked identical to the 94-95 cars but when winter set in it was apparent that it had differences in the heater controls.
The early cars have a fan switch that ranges from 0-4. And a heater direction switch that in the extreme right position directs all air to the windshield. These work well in Norways cold winters (-20c). You turn every switch to the extreme right to melt the ice on the windshield and once the car has warmed up you turn the direction switch to the symbol for windshield and floor and get a Nice distribution of air to the windshield, floor and the side vents.
However the 97 car had a fan switch ranging from 0-5. And the direction switch is completely different too. Windscreen air on this is switch straight up. Could live with this if it wasnt for it behaving completely different too. When the car is warmed up i turn the switch to the symbol for windscreen and floor, but unlike the earlier cars this one then dont distribute any air to the side windows. Side windows will then fog/freeze and i must turn the dial to side windows and get a lot of air out the side vents, but only those. So i must pay attention and quickly turn back to the front windshield once the sides are clear. Otherwise the windscreen freezes.

So to the rant: why would Opel change the manual heater controls that seemed to work fine, with a setup that obviously dont work fine? In the later(97) setup there is no way to keep the windscreen and side windows ice free at the same time while not freezing your feet of in -20c weather. 94-95 cars dont have this problem.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Omega Pfl manual heater controls
« Reply #1 on: 05 February 2019, 10:27:50 »

Do the cars have aircon? If so, do you use it?
Onanists always think outside the box.

MonzaGSE

• Intermediate Member
  • Norway
    • 95 Opel Omega mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 February 2019, 14:21:40 »

No aircon.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 February 2019, 14:31:43 »

No aircon.
Sunroof?

If yes, whack the temperature up and crack the back of the sunroof to let the hot damp air out... Only needs to be 5mm :y
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 21 queries.