Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Parking Sensors, Again Please  (Read 3376 times)

Boiler Man

• Intermediate Member
  • Sale, Manchester
    • View Profile
Parking Sensors, Again Please
« on: 14 July 2006, 00:59:10 »

Hi All

I know this has been done to death on a previous site, but it had many diff' threads at many diff' times. So how about a sum up on Retro Fit, Rear Parking Sensors. Just the general opinion, not the technical on how to do them.

Which are the best to fit? I dont want to start finding a scraper.

Can you bye the origonals? or saw a member from the otherside, fitting the behind the bumper type, what are they like? Any niggles.

What are they all like for use, just for us poor mortals who haven't seen or heard them in action. :-/
« Last Edit: 14 July 2006, 01:05:17 by Boiler_Man »
Omega 2.0 DTI GLS Estate 99 Gold & Omega 2.2 DTI CDX Estate 03 Silver. Just need a Bronze one now for the full set.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Parking Sensors, Again Please
« Reply #1 on: 14 July 2006, 08:25:31 »

I bought a 30 quid kit off ebay (buzzer only), added in a can of Vaux spray paint and its the best mod I have done!

Salty

• Fleetwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 July 2006, 08:29:15 »

What about the VX recomended meta ones? Auto Express gave them a good write up and you don't need to drill loads of holes in your bumper.

P_Russell

• Rushden, Northants
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 July 2006, 08:43:20 »

Just bought these myself off ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260005154513&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BID_IT

Got mine for a tenner + P&P.  Will be fitting them next weekend

If it's stuck, force it.  If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway........

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 July 2006, 09:41:23 »

Well teh first thing to do is paint them and let them dry well.

Give them a good rub down with a green scouring pad then apply a couple of thin coats of colour followed by a couple of thin coats of laquer.

If there is a rubber section to them (which most have) then you will need to remove the paint from here (easy enough to do by running your finger nail round them) before fitting.

I realy must get the facelift measurement posted up.....

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 July 2006, 09:56:01 »

i bought a set from ebay, buzzer and distance location display, cost about £35, and a can of spray paint.

Dead easy to fit, the worse bit was drilling the bumper to put them in, get that wrone and it all goes pear shaped.

Kit came with good instructions, hole cutter and loads of cable ties

Boiler Man

• Intermediate Member
  • Sale, Manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 July 2006, 12:05:38 »

I can see the link for the £10 ones, do you have a link for the £30 ones, is there a difference in quality?

Were do you find the gen vaux ones?

and what are the behind the bumper type like and were from? I like the idea of no drilling.

Thanks for the input.
Omega 2.0 DTI GLS Estate 99 Gold & Omega 2.2 DTI CDX Estate 03 Silver. Just need a Bronze one now for the full set.

Salty

• Fleetwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 July 2006, 13:23:32 »

The Meta ones are a number plate surround type thats how they get around the drilling issue. Check out the autoexpress site, product reviews section for the test on the reversing aids.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 July 2006, 13:33:39 »

One of the guys on eere fitted the hidden, behind bumper sensor type.......seem to recall they reported that it worked well although it does cost considerably more.

Beware the number plate ones, they tend not to be very effective due to not covering the corners of the vehicle very well, plus on the facelift saloon, the number plate is pretty recessed.

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 July 2006, 19:15:00 »

One of the guys on eere fitted the hidden, behind bumper sensor type.......seem to recall they reported that it worked well although it does cost considerably more.
that'll be me then!!

£73 from here - http://www.caraudioplus.co.uk/Parking_Sensors/Taurus_T123P_Parking_Sensor - not cheap, but invisible once fitted - no drilling required. Works well as long as you go back slowly, otherwise it gets a bit flustered! Final beep puts you about 4" from the obstacle. It's sensitive enough that if you wave your hand behind the bumper, that will trigger it off, so should definitely pick up any small people wandering behind the car ...  ::)
« Last Edit: 14 July 2006, 19:15:43 by sounds2k »

Boiler Man

• Intermediate Member
  • Sale, Manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 July 2006, 19:29:25 »

When you say slow, how slow? normal slow, very slow, meeega slow.  ;)

Not sure how to judge slow, not easy is it.  :-/

Does the strip go just across the rear facing part of the bumper? or do you wrap it around the sides and does it pick up any object at the side, say that you would miss if you stayed straight.

Sorry for all the questions. just interested.

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 July 2006, 20:00:47 »

When you say slow, how slow? normal slow, very slow, meeega slow.  ;)

Not sure how to judge slow, not easy is it.  :-/

Does the strip go just across the rear facing part of the bumper? or do you wrap it around the sides and does it pick up any object at the side, say that you would miss if you stayed straight.

Sorry for all the questions. just interested.
speed ... erm slow enough so that if you did hit something it won't cause damage - ie, the kind of speed you should be doing anyway!

The strip goes inside the rear bumper, NOT around the corners (the installation guide specifically states this) - best guide is between the lights on the boot if you see what I mean.

Any more questions, ask away ...
« Last Edit: 14 July 2006, 20:01:31 by sounds2k »

Boiler Man

• Intermediate Member
  • Sale, Manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 July 2006, 22:09:35 »

Sounds good, thought there might be a limit around the side, supose you'd pick up say lamp posts & bins if you were squeezing into a gap, between cars.

Good to know they are specific about that, it means they take it serious?

Good instructions then?

Hillper

• Intermediate Member
  • Aylesbury
  • Werthers. Winter, too hard.  Summer, too soft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 July 2006, 00:14:29 »

My Missus has the electromagnetic strip type on her car.
As you say, very sensitive.  Make sure the feed wire to the strip is well cable tied to stop it moving as this acts as a detector too.  The slightest wobble as you go backwards will cause it to bleep.  
Relys on movement of the car.  It has normal bleep..........bleep sound when activated, then bleeps get more frantic as object is approached.  If you stop 4" from obstacle, normal bleep.........bleep will resume.  Don't attach the strip past the start of the curve of the bumper.
Ultrasonics are 'active', in that if you're close, the bleeps will maintain fast rate, whether or not you're moving.

I fitted £25, four sensor, buzzer type from Ebay.  Fiddly getting wires through foam bumber filling, but well worth it.

Apply masking tape in rough area of sensor, MEASURE AT LEAST SEVEN TIMES and use small drill to start.  Then use supplied hole saw.  It's nerve racking!

When testing, don't do what I did and accidently whack the bumper on a gate post!  
« Last Edit: 15 July 2006, 00:48:42 by Hillper »
Mods.  'Hillper boot release'.  Dimming mirror.  Cruise control. Rear parking sensors.  Becker/Rockford Fosgate/Infinity/Alpine audio.

Salty

• Fleetwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 July 2006, 08:36:02 »

I like the sound of the ultrasonic ones more than the electromagnetic (don't like the idea that they only work when moving)
Had a hire car with the ultrasonic ones on it last year in France, they were brilliant, pretty accurate as well. That was a four on the front four on the rear system with video display as well!
« Last Edit: 15 July 2006, 10:05:37 by salty »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.