Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What petrol should I use?  (Read 2502 times)

Martin_1962

What petrol should I use?
« on: 11 July 2006, 23:23:46 »

Well this is another emotive subject but I will list my findings.

The 2.0 loves Shell petrol if it is under load, normal driving no difference but if towing it will pull a higher gear than if it is using other petrol - this is 95 octane.

I have repeated this on a number of occasions as Brent Knoll north bound and Taunton both sell Shell and after filling up the CD 2.0 would stay a lot more in top at 70 than it would on Esso or Tesco.

V6 not so much experience but they all seem to like Shell Optimax, infact if you use LPG I would say use Optimax exclusively as your petrol as the cleaning agents in it do keep your petrol injectors from clogging.

This is good for me as the easiest to get to station for me (at Webbs of Wychbold) also does LPG!

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
Re: What petrol should I use?
« Reply #1 on: 12 July 2006, 09:21:35 »

Well this is another emotive subject but I will list my findings.

The 2.0 loves Shell petrol if it is under load, normal driving no difference but if towing it will pull a higher gear than if it is using other petrol - this is 95 octane.

I have repeated this on a number of occasions as Brent Knoll north bound and Taunton both sell Shell and after filling up the CD 2.0 would stay a lot more in top at 70 than it would on Esso or Tesco.

V6 not so much experience but they all seem to like Shell Optimax, infact if you use LPG I would say use Optimax exclusively as your petrol as the cleaning agents in it do keep your petrol injectors from clogging.

I have to admit my car seems alot more perkier once I have filled up with shell petrol. I look forward to reading your findings.

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 July 2006, 06:27:16 »

Petrol quality is not always depending on the brand, but it has also direct relation to the state of the fuel station and the quality of it's fuel tanks and how much dirt/water is in them. Eventhough i always tend to go for high octane fuel from reputable brands. I have been using for more than a year my local optimax at 99p/liter. The best fuel i ever used was agip 100octane in italy the car was transformed to a missile.

Salty

• Fleetwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 July 2006, 06:40:44 »

Generally I have found Shell to perform better than most other fuels. I have always got more MPG from shell than any other brand in most of the cars I've had.

Most of the fuel you buy at the pumps comes from the same refineries/depots whatever the brand. The only difference being the additives each individual company adds before sale. I suppose thats why shell etc costs more than supermarket petrol?

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 July 2006, 07:57:26 »

well I did try the tesco super unleaded (99 RON) in my black omega (2.5V6), felt a bit perkier but not noticeable, may have been because I hope it would be! I did get a bit more MPG, but when you take into account the higher cost to start with it's probably not a lot different overall ...

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #5 on: 16 July 2006, 08:14:17 »

I have to admit i am ignorant on this. Petrol is petrol to me  :)

I refuel at one of three local cheaper fuelstations - a bp, a morrisons, and asda.

Have to admit i have never found any difference at all from any particular one. Kinda worried now as many people seem to get a change.... :-[
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 July 2006, 09:19:38 »

Thought I would add my views on this.............

I only use branded fuel for both my cars and this is typically Shell.  Always subscribed to the "Supermarket fuel is inferior" theory.

However, the Shell garage that I always use was closed recently and, with the fuel light showing, I had to fill up which meant a trip across the road to Sainsbury's.  60 Litres went in (this was the Cavalier) and I was expecting the car to have less power as I found before when using supermarket fuel.

On this occasion, I could not detect any difference and the car ran just as well as on Shell / BP etc.  That being said, I still use the Shell garage!
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

Martin_1962

« Reply #7 on: 16 July 2006, 10:32:36 »

It also meant that Cornwall to Taunton Dean 17mpg and Taunton Dean to Worcester 20mpg

Salty

• Fleetwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 July 2006, 11:17:01 »

The only difference in the fuel is the additives, all the fuel in your area will come from one depot, I think Stanlow is the nearest one to me!

B52

• Intermediate Member
  • Glasgow
  • 02 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 July 2006, 11:41:43 »

I remember once being told never to use a petrol station if there's a tanker in it as deliveries stir up all the muck - still do it altho it's probably an old wives tale.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 July 2006, 12:25:26 »

It also meant that Cornwall to Taunton Dean 17mpg and Taunton Dean to Worcester 20mpg

Was that pulling a Van? or just normal driving?

Martin_1962

« Reply #11 on: 16 July 2006, 17:39:36 »

Was that pulling a Van? or just normal driving?
70mph so pulling a van [smiley=laugh.gif]

85mph when solo
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.