Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some general help needed  (Read 1589 times)

mathewst

• Omega Knight
  • Split, Croatia
    • v40
    • View Profile
Some general help needed
« on: 28 April 2018, 11:59:04 »

Was looking at one omega yesterday but not sure what to think of it.
The car has some issues and not sure should I buy it or not.
Here are the issuses bellow.
Car has done 240k km.
Issue 1:
Seller claims it never had an accident, the car has some scuffs and dents but it seems strange.
There are two reasons I say this, first one the car has standard headlights but is NCDR2015 which seems strange to me,
and the seond one it has small rust marks on the trunk door and rear pillars on the same place on both sides (somewhere on the 2/3 from the bottom of the trunk lid, it is n estate.
Issue 2:
Engine light is on, owner says it is due to LPG and has been on for as long as he had it but I've had a mig with LPG and never had the engine light on.
Also car seems to be a bit slow by my opinion. It is 2.2 petrol. Engine runs very nice by the sound of it but it seems somehow it is down on power.
I had 2.2 before but this one seems slower regardless of the petrol or lpg beiing fed to it.
Don't have odb2 so cannot check it.
Issue 3:
Drivers seat is teared and inclined. The seating area has a tear in the left side, and the backrest is inclined to the right more and cannot be moved.
Like someone tried to move it and it inclined only to the right side.
Also the seat moves up and down electrically but the backrest moves manually (this seems strange to me but it could be that they did make seats like these??)
Issue 4:
Car has several leaks
Cam cover leak which is normal or usual cause here no mechanic knows how to sort it out.
Oil leak on oil pan gasket but it should not be a problem.
I've also found oil on several other places, connection of engine and gearbox,
some black thing which seats behind and close to abs unit have no idea what it is (it has several bolts on it) It had oil on top of it.
Also there was some oil or something underneath the one of the cam rollers (the one in the middle of the engine)
And some  liquid residue on the bottom plastic cover that extends from the fron bumper on the drivers side (UK passenger side)
This is under the aircon lines and the aircon doesn't work.

Can anyone shed some light on these leaks and possible solutions or should I simply walk away from this one.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Re: Some general help needed
« Reply #1 on: 28 April 2018, 12:07:19 »

With all of those issues, I suggest that you put your marching boots on!
There will be others without the mysteries that you have outlined.

Ron.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 April 2018, 12:28:54 »

Unless it’s very cheap I’d be walking away.
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • Omega 2.2i CD manual 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 April 2018, 15:46:53 »

If it was me, I would walk away.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 April 2018, 18:04:35 »

As above unless you love to take on basket cases and it's seriously,seriously cheap I'd let this one be and find another.

Dr_Syn

• Atherton
    • 2001 Omega 2.6CDX Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 April 2018, 19:19:50 »

Might be worth considering as a donor car if it is very cheap.

mathewst

• Omega Knight
  • Split, Croatia
    • v40
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 April 2018, 20:07:14 »

Well here it is not cheap, actually all old cars are way overpiced but thats the way in my country  >:(

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 April 2018, 10:46:39 »

I understand the difference in values between your country and here so a different approach is needed.
240k km's ( 144K miles ) isn't stratosphereric for one of these cars but the amount of fluid leaks would make me think that it's had a neglected life . The cam and ,to a lesser extent, the sump are straight forward the oil at the rear of the engine may be just blow back from the sump or alternativly the rear crank oil seal which requires the gearbox removal . Depends on whether you do it yourself or pay someone as to how much of a worry these are .
The rust on the rear tailgate under the wiper and sometimes under the window seal  is normal  but the rear pillers would want further investigation to see what is the cause of that . I'd be suspecting poorly repaired accident damage until I was convinced otherwise. It would be best to check the trunk floor and deep into the recesses of the little pockets in the side trim jut inside the tailgate . The tank covers most of the underside so you may not see anything underneath. What is the paint finish and match like ?
Engine sounds to be running in limp mode , I've had this on my 2.0 and although still driveable  it feels as if it driving at 65% . This could be a simple problem like cam sensor ,maf or several other issues ,have you tried the pedal or paper clip test on it ? This will certainly help you to get a better idea of what may be causing the poor running.
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90581.msg1155463#msg1155463
My CD spec car seats have power adjustment for up and down movement but the backrest and fore and aft adjustment is manual so that is normal.
Taking everything into consideration and without knowing how much the seller is asking for the car , I say that the car sounds to have had a fairly neglected life and possible accident damage too .
Unless I was specifically looking for an Omega Estate with few available I would pass this one by and keep looking.
Good luck.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 April 2018, 23:29:24 »

There is a seam where the Op has observed the rust on the  D post ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 19 queries.