Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scuttle panel leak  (Read 1392 times)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
Scuttle panel leak
« on: 09 June 2010, 08:04:23 »

With the last bought of heavy rain I have noticed water laying on the passenger side cam cover and around the plug caps.
When I removed the scuttle the piece of foam on the underside of the larger piece of the scuttle had all but disintergrated so I cleaned that all off.The black sound proofing foam was also really quite damp so assume it was acting like a "wick" and just holding the moisture.
Logic says to just run a thick line of silicone on the metal section of the firewall and then press the scuttle into it causing a permenant seal,but knowing the frequency that the scuttle needs to be removed to carry out basic maintenance,does any body have a better solution to sealing this but allowing for easier access if required.
Odd as it has only recently started so maybe the foam was the best solution ?but where can you buy it .

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Scuttle panel leak
« Reply #1 on: 09 June 2010, 12:07:34 »

I use a strip of foam draft excluder

sjc

• Alloa, Scotland
    • Ultra-dull Audi TDi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 June 2010, 13:36:06 »

Early ones don't have the sound-proofing that gets saturated (at least my '95 doesn't).

Foam draught tape for the joint is a good idea - must remember that.
If you Elite an MV6, does that make it an MVee-leet?

omega6

• Midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 June 2010, 16:49:49 »

there is a drain on the n/s under the pollen filter which gets clogged with leaves, my advice remove pollen filter, remove muck which should be on a large rubber bung, poke a stick or jet wash as it is hard to reach, i've removed the bung on mine, doesn't really make much diff

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 June 2010, 17:49:24 »

The bung is clear ,along with the drainage channels.
Problem seems to be the plastic part of the larger section of the scuttle needs somthing to seal it against the curved piece of the firewall,otherwise water just runs down the back and straight ontop of camcovers.
Take advise regarding draught excluder...will see if I can find some that is waterproof as can see that will just hold more water...and really didn,t want to resort to silicone or silkaflex.

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 June 2010, 20:45:14 »

I have a similar problem but mine is due to the fact that the windscreen rubber is not bonded to the screen if this is bonded properly the water should not get to the area of the scuttle where the water leaks into the engine.As a temporary fix I have put waterproof tape over the base of the screen and over the scuttle gap whilst I await a stone to damage my screen and get a replacement on insurance

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 June 2010, 21:22:50 »

silicon just the joint between the panels, rubber washer over/under wiper shafts. (gm design??)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 June 2010, 22:22:18 »

The water does seem to go down the holes for the wiper spindles..mine has a rather poor fitting fibre/rubber washer which fits on the wiper haft but doesn,t properly seal the hole in the scuttle so I will see about getting a couple of large black rubber washers as suggested .
The desing of the scuttle as it sits under the windscreen seal does ensure that all water from the screen runs into the scuttle area and then drains from the larger scuttle across the smaller scuttle and down out of the passenger side wing bung.Mine does all that but on its path it seaps under the join between the metal firewall and the larger section of the scuttle,more so now as the foam has all perished.i will try the draught excluder option as the original foam stopped the water for the past 11 years.
Robson......I imagine you are talking about the main windscreen rubber seal on your car allowing water straight under....that could be cured by a small bead of silicone or a trip to the local windscreen people and ask for it to be resealed.

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 June 2010, 09:12:53 »

amba Tried the windscreen people but no interest in helping with this problem

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 June 2010, 09:39:19 »

Best bet is to see if on your travels you ever see a guy doing a replacement screen...then tap him up with a bit of cash,that worked for me.They get poor money anyway so bit of extra is a real bonus.

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 June 2010, 10:05:09 »

good thinking amba
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 22 queries.