Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: If you think you're having a bad car day...  (Read 3345 times)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: If you think you're having a bad car day...
« Reply #15 on: 19 December 2019, 16:46:18 »

What car?

MINI - I assume with the N14/N18 Peugeot/BMW Alliance engine.. at least it was in a MINI group, so I assume that much  ::)

Is that the MINI/BMW engine in SWMBO's 1600 twin cam petrol Citroen?  ???

That's the one.. known for eating timing chains, valve stem seals, valve guides, coking up the intake tract because it's direct injection so the intake ports & valves need walnut blasting every 40k, awful PCV setup, high pressure fuel pump dies every 70k, etc etc.. other than that it's a great little engine ;D ;D

that all sounds so German.
Imagine the excuses that we would still be hearing if BMW had produced the K-series and not Rover ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19 December 2019, 18:27:21 »

Looks like someone slipped it into 1st gear at 70 on the motorway.

I managed to put a Sierra Sapphire into 1st instead of 3rd at around 50/55mph ..... fortunately it was a hire car!  :)
I did similar in a MkII Belmont, only it was nearer 70mph. And it was my car.
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19 December 2019, 18:54:41 »

What car?

MINI - I assume with the N14/N18 Peugeot/BMW Alliance engine.. at least it was in a MINI group, so I assume that much  ::)

Is that the MINI/BMW engine in SWMBO's 1600 twin cam petrol Citroen?  ???

That's the one.. known for eating timing chains, valve stem seals, valve guides, coking up the intake tract because it's direct injection so the intake ports & valves need walnut blasting every 40k, awful PCV setup, high pressure fuel pump dies every 70k, etc etc.. other than that it's a great little engine ;D ;D

that all sounds so German.
Imagine the excuses that we would still be hearing if BMW had produced the K-series and not Rover ;D

It's worse than that. It's part German, part French. :-X
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19 December 2019, 22:02:10 »

It's worse than that. It's part German, part French. :-X

;D ;D ;D ;D

It could've been even worserer ..... we used to have a FIAT on the drive!  ;)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 19 December 2019, 22:25:08 »

Looks like someone slipped it into 1st gear at 70 on the motorway.

I managed to put a Sierra Sapphire into 1st instead of 3rd at around 50/55mph ..... fortunately it was a hire car!  :)
I did similar in a MkII Belmont, only it was nearer 70mph. And it was my car.

The father of a lass I was going out with in 1971 had a beautiful Jenson FF which he used to take up and down the A1 near Ripon at somewhat silly speeds... when someone pulled out in front of him when he was doing (so he says) a "mere 90", he manually stuffed it into a very low gear (it was an auto) .... where by there was a series of loud bangs and the engine died ... his words ....  car was recovered to the dealers (which he owned) and was the cause of much looking and amazement ... there "appeared" to be hardly any damage at all ... except for 7 holes in the bonnet, and all 8 sparkplugs were absent !!

Cut a long story short .. the car was eventually written off as the engine/gearbox/both diffs and the whole drive train were beyond repair as each was examined ... and when they tried to fit new they would not mate .... it was eventually found the the whole body was "twisted" about 4 degress out of true !!

It was (somewhow) calculated that the engine had hit nearly 30,000 rpm, that the valves could not keep up, and that the pressure in the cylinders was sufficient to, eventually, blow the spark plug threads clean off, so the plugs left like bullets !!

The stress of all four wheels shoving that amount of energy "backwards" must have been amazing !! I was lucky .. he had let me drive it once, for an hour, the week before !! Amazing car for a 20 year old to drive !!  :)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 21 queries.