Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega replacement  (Read 3900 times)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Omega replacement
« on: 24 March 2019, 19:12:23 »

My search for a suitable replacement for the beast is getting nowhere using the  saloon/petrol/rearwheel drive/self leveling/1800kgs kerbweight formula, so I'm considering an Audi Allroad ... main drawback is the fact it runs on ship fuel .. :(

Notwithstanding that, does anyone know anything about these ?? ie major problems/drawbacks, especially regarding suspension, gearbox and DPF ???

Ta muchly for any opinions .. :)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Omega replacement
« Reply #1 on: 24 March 2019, 19:20:09 »

The timing gear is at the back of the engine.

No big deal if new with warranty... Not so great if you're looking at anything slightly more used :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 March 2019, 19:56:13 »

As this would be a "private purchase" I'm looking at a policy from "Warranty Direct" that would cover any early failure.. although I know I would have to pay £1200 in 25000 miles time to have it changed.

I can't see any other major bills, and I realise that I will no longer be doing my own work ... I know nowt about oil burners or AWD systems  :(

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 March 2019, 20:04:22 »

I wouldn't trust a second hand/third party warranty any more than I would trust Corbyn to run a bath.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 March 2019, 20:08:31 »

Find a local indy, and ask the questions.
Hoof'land storeman.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 March 2019, 20:13:22 »

Try warranty wise which is Quentin Wilsons baby,much better reviews than the company you've mentioned but all of these warranty companies are similar,probably better to throw the money into a pot and add to it  to cover unexpected issues
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 March 2019, 20:21:30 »

You'll find everything more expensive than what you've been used to, so have a quick look around at brakes/suspension/steering type parts.

I suspect on a vehicle like that, you'll hit all the problems I see with the big black pussy - every reply to any query is "yake it to a dealer".  If you're paying someone else, even if a trusted indie, its gonna bump the bills up.  Obviously, that goes for virtually any car with limited DIY assistance available, and certainly not specific to Audi!

I think you are going to have more success finding a replacement capable of dealing with the pikey van by looking at crossovers and proper offroad type vehicles than a 4 door RWD saloon.
Grumpy old man

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 March 2019, 20:38:55 »

You'll find everything more expensive than what you've been used to, so have a quick look around at brakes/suspension/steering type parts.

I suspect on a vehicle like that, you'll hit all the problems I see with the big black pussy - every reply to any query is "yake it to a dealer".  If you're paying someone else, even if a trusted indie, its gonna bump the bills up.  Obviously, that goes for virtually any car with limited DIY assistance available, and certainly not specific to Audi!

I think you are going to have more success finding a replacement capable of dealing with the pikey van by looking at crossovers and proper offroad type vehicles than a 4 door RWD saloon.

Yup, certainly looks that way ... but guess what I don't want !!!  There are loads of Kia Sorento's, Misubishi Outlanders, Hyundai Santa Fes, Volvo DC90s etc etc that will all "do the job" ... but I still enjoy driving a car with a bit of handling ability when I don't have the tintent on the back. I've also been looking at BMW 5's, Mercedes S class (C class are too light unless you go AMG spec, E class is a minefield trying to work out what has what !!)

Audi A8 fits all the spec ... except the bank balance !!

:(
« Last Edit: 24 March 2019, 20:41:36 by Entwood »

2boxerdogs

« Reply #8 on: 24 March 2019, 20:42:22 »

Our friends we holiday with have had an Audi Allroad for several years now tow regularly here & in France have only had to have a radiator replaced , I have ridden in it several times and it seems superb a very capable vehicle & an excellent choice for towing.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 March 2019, 21:19:38 »

Mercedes ML will do the job nicely  :y likewise R Class.

Both give you a petrol option or two as well :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 March 2019, 21:47:43 »

ML is another SUV ... :( 

R Class... very few around  :(

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 March 2019, 21:55:37 »

I suspect on a vehicle like that, you'll hit all the problems I see with the big black pussy - every reply to any query is "yake it to a dealer". If you're paying someone else, even if a trusted indie, its gonna bump the bills up.  Obviously, that goes for virtually any car with limited DIY assistance available, and certainly not specific to Audi!

that's what the Merc forum always says .... what are the codes is the usual war cry.

And my ML has proved itself a great towcar on its maiden voyage last week, though (as I already knew from the R320) it doesn't seem to know mpg means  ::) ::)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 March 2019, 21:56:52 »

If only I could have justified the R500 to myself (& SWMBO  ;D ;D)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 March 2019, 21:58:40 »

R Class... very few around  :(

True, but very much worth a look at. The face lift cars go through to 2012 IIRC and if you get the R350 instead of the R320 I had, you won't get stung for the £500+ road tax

bare in mind, they're a BIG car ... not the easiest thing to park in some of the multi-story car parks ... and every one has a different spec
« Last Edit: 24 March 2019, 22:00:39 by Andy B »

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 March 2019, 08:56:42 »

Yup, certainly looks that way ... but guess what I don't want !!!  There are loads of Kia Sorento's, Misubishi Outlanders, Hyundai Santa Fes, Volvo DC90s etc etc that will all "do the job" ... but I still enjoy driving a car with a bit of handling ability when I don't have the tintent on the back. I've also been looking at BMW 5's, Mercedes S class (C class are too light unless you go AMG spec, E class is a minefield trying to work out what has what !!)

Audi A8 fits all the spec ... except the bank balance !!

:(

You can't fit a towbar on an AMG spec.
I like red cars
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 22 queries.