Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommended Suppliers section...  (Read 4256 times)

05omegav6

Re: Recommended Suppliers section...
« Reply #15 on: 21 September 2014, 00:06:28 »

I presume a certain oil supplier has made life rather... Awkward?
Not really. Well, not in that respect anyway.

They actually meet the criteria ;)

Well that needs a re think then, clearly ;D
;D at least my idea involved a certain level of member recommendation  ::)
They have an decent level of satisfaction TBH, and meet the criteria.

Admittedly, they do not meet the criteria of Gixer and Taxi Al, but you can't please everyone ;)
Don't go tarring me with the Reading Mardy brush ::) ;D

chrisgixer

« Reply #16 on: 21 September 2014, 05:37:06 »

Admittedly, they do not meet the criteria of Gixer and Taxi Al, but you can't please everyone ;)
Don't go tarring me with the Reading Mardy brush ::) ;D
Or me.  >:(

;D

....although, I see a good few more people queueing up on their threads to moan about spamming and false advertising claims than just Al and I. Let's be accurate if nothing else. ;)

In fact the only person I see that thinks them recommendable in any way is TB. But hay, you can't please everyone. ;D

Although seriously, why? They are far from cheapest. Especially given trade club. ( and it's no good people moaning about having to pay £20 to access TC as its a trade only company strictly speaking)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 September 2014, 09:05:50 »

Agreed. I don't buy "boutique" engine oils, but have used them for ATF, servicing parts and so on, and have always found them reasonable and quick. Overpriced engine oils will always be just that, wherever you buy. Nobody forces anyone to buy them.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 September 2014, 10:07:04 »

In fact the only person I see that thinks them recommendable in any way is TB. But hay, you can't please everyone. ;D
Well, the feedback I get from people who have used them, myself included (for ATF when its on a very special offer), is they are fast and efficient and quite slick, pardon the pun.

Accept the fact that some people like perceived higher quality engine oils, esp if they plan to leave them in for 20k as per the manufacturers service schedule, rather than what they read on the Internet. Its certainly not what I do, or what I'd recommend, but I cannot dictate what others do with their cars.

As for where the offers are being posted, to be perfectly honest, that's our (admin) fault, as we cannot find what we deem a suitable way to get the recommended sellers bit working for them - the software lacks the flexibility to do what we want in this instance, and the coding required (which will need reviewing on every SMF update) is too much, too integrated. That's where we are.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21 September 2014, 10:16:48 »

Also, whilst discussing this, you'll notice that unlike most other clubs, we do not have any insurance companies and the like as recommended suppliers. These all work on a commission basis, where a percentage of the premium goes back to "the club" and/or owner of it.

Just so everyone is absolutely 100% clear, as I've seen some suggestions/allegations to the contrary, neither "the club" or its owners get any kind of backhander/commission/payment from these suppliers. We'd rather any such payment is knocked off the bill to club members at the point of purchase in the form of discount.

So the suggestion that Mark, Broocie, Barry, James, Kevin or I receive anything from these suppliers* is 'dangle berries'. Just so that is clear. The OOF club account also doesn't.

* Though obviously we get the same discounts as club members if/when we use the supplier :)
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #20 on: 21 September 2014, 10:43:40 »

And long may that last TB 8) I have never suggested anyything to the contrary btw :y

chrisgixer

« Reply #21 on: 21 September 2014, 11:36:58 »

I have. Purely looking for a reason why one member is alowed to completely flaunt forum guide lines way above and beyond anything seen on here, while others are pulled up for the slightest indiscretion. (And usually because somebody moaned to admin by pm rather than publicly I must add, that's never been my bag)

The apparent hypocracy of this situation is the reason for Assuming/wondering/asking if they contribute finically, (note that this is not an "accusation" but a question) as there seems to be no other reason to allow them to behave as they do. That being, to behave on here like no other member is allowed to, and then defend them in the face of complaint.

To me this aspect is completely incomprehensible given the effort admin put into every other area of administration on here. Yet these guys are defended to the hilt. So given the above perhaps you might understand why people jump to conclusions, and wonder what's going on.

...I still don't understand why they aren't deakt with in the same way rehular members are. I really don't. Again, I wonder, (rather than accuse etc) why if CBA,that job isn't delegated.

I realise being paid is against some philosophy or other re running oof, but personally I don't see why you should not be paid. Not at all. But that's your choice and fair do's. But it makes this situation even more incomprehensible imo. If you where being paid by advertisers I could understand that. Although we all understand ads are a bit irritating in themselves.

All of that seems fair which ever path is chosen. Except you for......know who.

This post is far longer than I intended so apologies there.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21 September 2014, 21:08:42 »

...I still don't understand why they aren't deakt with in the same way rehular members are. I really don't. Again, I wonder, (rather than accuse etc) why if CBA,that job isn't delegated.
If I've understood correctly, given Apples attempt at really oppsing it up, they are dealt with in mostly the same way as any other member, with the exception of allowing to sell with less than 250 posts. This is obviously a necessity.

I realise being paid is against some philosophy or other re running oof, but personally I don't see why you should not be paid. Not at all. But that's your choice and fair do's. But it makes this situation even more incomprehensible imo. If you where being paid by advertisers I could understand that. Although we all understand ads are a bit irritating in themselves.
Potential for corruption. Lets say Cem Tyres (Turkey) Ltd offer me a tenner commission for every 215/50/17 SC5 tyre sold, then my recommendations and ramblings could well be corrupted (or at least seen corrupted).
Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

« Reply #23 on: 21 September 2014, 21:27:49 »

If I've understood correctly, given Apples attempt at really oppsing it up, they are dealt with in mostly the same way as any other member, with the exception of allowing to sell with less than 250 posts. This is obviously a necessity.

Potential for corruption. Lets say Cem Tyres (Turkey) Ltd offer me a tenner commission for every 215/50/17 SC5 tyre sold, then my recommendations and ramblings could well be corrupted (or at least seen corrupted).

...and the difference between that and this is...?

If defencisuve barriers where let down for a second it might be seen that that's EXACTLY my point. I'm trying to,point this out to you. YA fri kin eejit ;D have been for years actually.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 21 September 2014, 21:31:18 »

...and the difference between that and this is...?

If defencisuve barriers where let down for a second it might be seen that that's EXACTLY my point. I'm trying to,point this out to you. YA fri kin eejit ;D have been for years actually.
Nah, you've lost me now...  :-\
Grumpy old man

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
  • A bit further North of the Back of Beyond!
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 21 September 2014, 21:39:53 »

Given the fact that your keyboard appears to have a mind of it's own tonight Chris, you may want to pour some water onto it old chap before it types something you never even thought of in the cold light of day! ;) :y
If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is!

chrisgixer

« Reply #26 on: 21 September 2014, 21:44:24 »

Yep, same old m.o. Claim fuddelment.

How is the current situation with opie different to the site accepting adverts?

You say the site recieves no payments. And doesn't want adverts. Yet, we have adverts blatantly from opie. So people assume your being paid anyway.

It matters not if your being paid one way or the other. The existsnce of adverts implies you are being paid regardless.

Of course the cause of this is opies change in tack. From helpful posts in the name of the company, to blatant spamming. They didn't need a post count to be helpful. Which is the point of oof. But they do to advertise.

Advertising is not the point of oof. Yet opie advertise blatantly. Or have I misunderstood?

The Sheriff

« Reply #27 on: 21 September 2014, 21:45:26 »

You say the site recieves no payments. And doesn't want adverts. Yet, we have adverts blatantly from opie. So people assume your being paid anyway.

It matters not if your being paid one way or the other. The existsnce of adverts implies you are being paid regardless.

Of course the cause of this is opies change in tack. From helpful posts in the name of the company, to blatant spamming. They didn't need a post count to be helpful. Which is the point of oof. But they do to advertise.

Advertising is not the point of oof. Yet opie advertise blatantly. Or have I misunderstood?
Yes. Again. ;D

chrisgixer

« Reply #28 on: 21 September 2014, 21:45:47 »

Given the fact that your keyboard appears to have a mind of it's own tonight Chris, you may want to pour some water onto it old chap before it types something you never even thought of in the cold light of day! ;) :y

I do appear to be having more ios8 issues than normal. ;D the bottom line of the text window especially. :(

chrisgixer

« Reply #29 on: 21 September 2014, 21:46:40 »

Yes. Again. ;D

Come on then Buryite. How exactly? Straight answers only.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.