Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: i phone help please  (Read 2196 times)

r1

• Omega Knight
  • nottingham
    • View Profile
i phone help please
« on: 20 September 2014, 14:39:55 »

my 16 year old son has been saving all his spare money and with his birthday money he has bought a I phone 5c[brand new].now he cant use it straight away as I have to wait for a micro sim to come[I pay the bill)
now iam a android man and no nothing about these I phones but am worried about him losing it getting it stolen etc.now ive read a few times that the police have raided houses for iphones that they have managed to track down with a signal from the phone does this need setting up?or is it automatic?,also they have been caught by takeing photos how does that work?
as hes 16 he thinks he knows it all  but I don't and just want to be sure so any tips or things we should do before he starts using it would be most welcome.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
Re: i phone help please
« Reply #1 on: 20 September 2014, 14:58:08 »

To use his iPhone, he will need to set-up an Apple ID.  To do this, he needs a valid e-mail account and a credit/debit card.

Once the Apple ID is set-up, download an App (from the App Store) called 'Find My iPhone'.

Install it on the iPhone by following the instructions.

If the iPhone is lost or stolen, you can then go to www.icloud.com, login with the Apple ID (and password for the account).

This will now trace the iPhone.  You can even send a message to the iPhone or delete it's contents entirely.

HTH
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

The Sheriff

« Reply #2 on: 20 September 2014, 15:17:20 »

To use his iPhone, he will need to set-up an Apple ID.  To do this, he needs a valid e-mail account and a credit/debit g.

Once the Apple ID is set-up, download an App (from the App Store) called 'Find My iPhone'.

If the iPhone is lost or stolen, you can then go to www.icloud.com, login with the Apple ID (and password for the account).

This will now trace the iPhone.  You can even send a message to the iPhone or delete it's contents entirely.

HTH
I have my Apple ID without entering any card details. In the payment options I just put 'none'.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 September 2014, 15:19:48 »

I have my Apple ID without entering any card details. In the payment options I just put 'none'.

Nice one  :y

Is this relatively new?  I remember setting up iPhones for my Nieces a few years ago and the only way back then to set up an Apple ID without a credit/debit card was to use an iTunes voucher.

My Apple ID is older than dirt!  ;D

The Sheriff

« Reply #4 on: 20 September 2014, 15:25:01 »

Nice one  :y

Is this relatively new?  I remember setting up iPhones for my Nieces a few years ago and the only way back then to set up an Apple ID without a credit/debit card was to use an iTunes voucher.

My Apple ID is older than dirt!  ;D
I prefer android, but when my wife got her iPad mini she gave me her old ipad 2. I've no intention of buying anything but was able to set it up with no payment details. As I said, old IPad, so newer ones may be different.

r1

• Omega Knight
  • nottingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 September 2014, 15:31:52 »

To use his iPhone, he will need to set-up an Apple ID.  To do this, he needs a valid e-mail account and a credit/debit card.

HTH

thanks a lot

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #6 on: 20 September 2014, 18:07:54 »

HTH

The app will only work if the 'stealer' leaves the phone on and doesnt remove the sim card.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 September 2014, 10:22:26 »

Apple ID has *never* needed a card assigned to an account. Mine never has. This was the case 5 years ago (when Mrs TB got hers), and still the same this year when Mum got her iPhone.

Its a slightly different signup process though, you need to set the account up first via a computer.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2534

I prefer this method, and buy iTunes vouchers if I do want to buy apps/tunes/guff. That way, no in-app purchases can sting your card, so at worse, you can only lose your iTunes voucher balance.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 September 2014, 10:25:30 »

HTH

The app will only work if the 'stealer' leaves the phone on and doesnt remove the sim card.
Not sure about SIM, as it can use wifi. Obviously, the wifi bit will only work with BT Wifi and similar, which the phone can auto logon to.

However, I'd bet my right gonad that in 99.99% of the time, the police won't give 2 hoots about a stolen phone, beyond giving a crime number for insurance purposes.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 September 2014, 10:26:16 »

The networks are supposed to be tighter on blocking IMEI numbers, certainly in the UK, but that doesn't return the phone to its owner.
Grumpy old man

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #10 on: 21 September 2014, 20:04:19 »

HTH

Not sure about SIM, as it can use wifi. Obviously, the wifi bit will only work with BT Wifi and similar, which the phone can auto logon to.

However, I'd bet my right gonad that in 99.99% of the time, the police won't give 2 hoots about a stolen phone, beyond giving a crime number for insurance purposes.

I dont know about logging into BT wifi....i have a BT wifi source near me....my iphone has never tried to log onto it....it always drops back to my network if it loses my wifi connection...but then ive never tried it without the sim.

Ive just upgraded to IOS7 on my iphone4 (not S) and apart from it doesnt seem any slower....during the install/setup it gave me messages about 'find my iphone' saying that if i ever lose it or its gets stolen, then the app will not allow the phone to be deleted, without my apple password.

Im tempted to take the sim card out, turn it on in recovery mode and see if i can re-install IOS7....if it will, then as far as i can see, that blows the claims of the 'find my iphone' app out of the water. (using a different itunes account)

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 September 2014, 20:27:12 »

The serial number would be easily identifiable upon it being registered with another Apple ID so shouldn't be too difficult to track down.

The Sheriff

« Reply #12 on: 21 September 2014, 20:34:54 »

Just don't lose the effin thing!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 September 2014, 21:12:09 »

I dont know about logging into BT wifi....i have a BT wifi source near me....my iphone has never tried to log onto it....it always drops back to my network if it loses my wifi connection...but then ive never tried it without the sim.
Assuming you have access to BT Wifi (either pay for it, or use BT as your ISP), then install the BT Wifi app. This sits in background, and auto logs on whenever it connects to BT Wifi network.
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 September 2014, 08:50:41 »

Your far more likely to smash the bloody thing than lose it  ;D
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.