Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tyres  (Read 6338 times)

STMO123

Tyres
« on: 30 September 2006, 19:34:57 »

Just a general question I was thinking about.

Can anyone tell me what happens if rotational tyres are fitted the wrong way round? Does it affect handling? Do they wear more quickly? IS IT DANGEROUS?

Cheers, Steve.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Re: Tyres
« Reply #1 on: 30 September 2006, 19:38:19 »

I really don't know

I guess water on the road wouldn't disperse nearly as well, and they wouldn't grip so well when cornering etc.

Would advise against it. Not sure it wouldn't pass an MOT.

STMO123

« Reply #2 on: 30 September 2006, 19:46:59 »

Wasn't thinking of doing it James. It just occured to me. If I can, I get tyres for the MGZT off ebay. They start at £170 each new, so if I can get them cheaper, its well worth it. I got a nearly new set of 4 off ebay that had come from a written off mazda RX8 so , obviously, two for each side.( £200. Big saving)

But it got me thinking. You often see a single tyre for sale and there is never any mention of the direction of travel in the ad.
« Last Edit: 30 September 2006, 19:47:44 by STMO123 »

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 September 2006, 19:48:53 »

I think it's it's the way the tread pattern is to disperse the water
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #4 on: 30 September 2006, 19:59:32 »

Wasn't thinking of doing it James. It just occured to me. If I can, I get tyres for the MGZT off ebay. They start at £170 each new, so if I can get them cheaper, its well worth it. I got a nearly new set of 4 off ebay that had come from a written off mazda RX8 so , obviously, two for each side.( £200. Big saving)

But it got me thinking. You often see a single tyre for sale and there is never any mention of the direction of travel in the ad.

As others have said, i believe if you directional tyres wrongly then water dispertion would be affected as well as possibly grip.

If you see ads and no mention of direction then possibly they can be fitted either way round.

Its usually the tyres that have groves starting from the inner part and moving to the outside that are directional.

What tyres does your MGZT use......i'll have a look at where i get my tyres from and see if they do em

Cheers
« Last Edit: 30 September 2006, 20:01:18 by Taxi_Driver »

STMO123

« Reply #5 on: 30 September 2006, 20:04:20 »

As others have said, i believe if you directional tyres wrongly then water dispertion would be affected as well as possibly grip.

If you see ads and no mention of direction then possibly they can be fitted either way round.

Its usually the tyres that have groves starting from the inner part and moving to the outside that are directional.

What tyres does your MGZT use......i'll have a look at where i get my tyres from and see if they do em

Cheers

Thanks, TD, but I'm OK for now. Still got two spares with about 7mm on them. They are 225/45/18's and I think they are all directional. As far as I know, they only go on BMW 3 series, RX8 and ZT.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #6 on: 30 September 2006, 20:13:16 »

Had a look anyway  ;)

225/45 ZR18 91W TW, , E

If these are the right ones....how does £70.90 delivered sound....for my favourite make  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

STMO123

« Reply #7 on: 30 September 2006, 20:20:25 »

Had a look anyway  ;)

225/45 ZR18 91W TW, , E

If these are the right ones....how does £70.90 delivered sound....for my favourite make  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

They are the fellas, and that price is astounding! There are part worn that go for more than that on ebay.

THINKS..........Watch out for TD selling tyres on ebay. ;D

STMO123

« Reply #8 on: 30 September 2006, 20:23:06 »

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 September 2006, 20:23:14 »

You want to try mytyres.com, loads of makes of tyres and free delivery if ordering 4 [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Retired

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 September 2006, 20:28:01 »

I wont use part worn tyres....you enver know what damage has occured to them....you dont want a tyre wall to fail.

STMO123

« Reply #11 on: 30 September 2006, 20:32:12 »

I wont use part worn tyres....you enver know what damage has occured to them....you dont want a tyre wall to fail.

I agree up to a point, but these particular ones are ok up to 186mph. Missus does just about the 86--if she's in a hurry!

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 September 2006, 20:34:30 »

It makes no odds......tyres off a written off car have been through the mill.....if one tyre wall suffered an impact it would be weakened and not always obvious.........it could blow at 10mph.....

STMO123

« Reply #13 on: 30 September 2006, 20:36:44 »

It makes no odds......tyres off a written off car have been through the mill.....if one tyre wall suffered an impact it would be weakened and not always obvious.........it could blow at 10mph.....

Again, I agree. But remember, it is THE WIFES car ;D

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
  • .:The OmegaProject:.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 September 2006, 20:39:00 »

Not worth taking the risk mate, as Mark says, you don't know what it's been through before you got it.  :-/

You know in Germany you can't get such a thing as a part worn tyre, they're illegal over there. That's how we come by all our tyres, imported from countries that don't allow it.  ::)
OmegaProject.co.uk .:.  Fuelled with passion...
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/xthreezero/omegaproject/oof-sig.jpg[/IMG]
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.