Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Trade deals  (Read 2883 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Trade deals
« on: 07 August 2019, 07:58:31 »

When talking of post Brexit trade deals with the U.S. one topic often mentioned is that of chlorinated chicken.So educate me[I'm thick],
1] Are these chickens chlorinated for export only or are all U.S. chickens chlorinated as a matter of course?
2] What does chlorinating do/ what effect does it have?

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Trade deals
« Reply #1 on: 07 August 2019, 09:17:22 »

Add hormone treated beef to that!
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 August 2019, 09:40:16 »

As I understand the chlorinated chicken thing, it's not the actual chlorine wash that is considered harmful, but that standards for rearing chickens are lower in the US so disinfecting the carcasses is considered necessary.  :-\

That said, if people think that chicken reared in places like Romania is done to the same standards as here then they are frankly deluded, and remember there is no requirement for it to be labelled as from Romania just the EU.  ;)

We import a lot of chicken from Thailand as well, if you look at the ingredients on a ready meal or chicken sandwich odds are the chicken is from Thailand.  I wouldn't fancy looking around a Thai chicken farm to be honest...  :(

All said and done if American chicken is clearly labelled, let the consumer decide what they want to buy and I don't believe that it is massively cheaper than UK chicken anyway especially with transport costs to consider.  ::)

American people appear to be well fed!  :)

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 August 2019, 09:51:57 »

As I understand the chlorinated chicken thing, it's not the actual chlorine wash that is considered harmful, but that standards for rearing chickens are lower in the US so disinfecting the carcasses is considered necessary.  :-\

That said, if people think that chicken reared in places like Romania is done to the same standards as here then they are frankly deluded, and remember there is no requirement for it to be labelled as from Romania just the EU.  ;)

We import a lot of chicken from Thailand as well, if you look at the ingredients on a ready meal or chicken sandwich odds are the chicken is from Thailand.  I wouldn't fancy looking around a Thai chicken farm to be honest...  :(

All said and done if American chicken is clearly labelled, let the consumer decide what they want to buy and I don't believe that it is massively cheaper than UK chicken anyway especially with transport costs to consider.  ::)

Yes, because they eat plenty of beef steaks and beef burgers ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;)

Seriously though, I agree that the consumer should be allowed to decide.  I and our family have eaten plenty of food in the States and come to no harm whatsoever.  For me, all this is more scare mongering. :)
« Last Edit: 07 August 2019, 09:55:17 by Lizzie Zoom »

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 August 2019, 10:25:15 »

I don't think humans should eat chicken under any circumstances. They are filthy unclean creatures and smell like sh1t when cooked. Why would anyone want to eat them or their eggs (which also smell like sh1t) bemuses me. :-\
If I were forced to eat chicken, having it washed in chlorine first would seem like a good idea. At least it might kill of the bacteria they are riddled with.  :)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 August 2019, 12:41:30 »

This may be an understatement......The USA knows how to produce proper fat bastards. ;D

Here in Blighty we just play at it...... ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 August 2019, 12:43:25 »

I don't think humans should eat chicken under any circumstances. They are filthy unclean creatures and smell like sh1t when cooked. Why would anyone want to eat them or their eggs (which also smell like sh1t) bemuses me. :-\
If I were forced to eat chicken, having it washed in chlorine first would seem like a good idea. At least it might kill of the bacteria they are riddled with.  :)

I like chicken with the exception of the stringy grease laden crap that comes in a cardboard box. :)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 August 2019, 12:50:25 »

Seems that having to eat a plate of Coq au vin would be Albs worst nightmare!  ;D

STEMO

« Reply #8 on: 07 August 2019, 15:42:36 »

Roast chicken, curried chicken, KFC.......all delicious, and I've eaten plenty in my time. As I'm ten years older, and ten times fitter, than Albs, I wouldn't worry too much.  ;D

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 August 2019, 20:46:53 »

I love the smell and taste of roast chicken,it's on the menu here every second Sunday.Tried some of the "colonels" special recipe chicken once and found it to be overpriced rubbish.Main reason I asked whether it was chlorinated for export only or also for their domestic market was that the yanks don't seem to do so badly on it so I couldn't understand the fuss and why it always seemed to be mentioned when talk of post Brexit trade deals were mentioned.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 August 2019, 21:27:38 »

As I understand it all their chicken is washed in chlorine Baza, and I think you'll find that there are less incidences proportionally (per 100,000 people) of food poisoning (salmonella and campylobactor) in the US than the EU.  :-\

Whether that's because of the chlorine wash, or that the Yanks cook the opps out of their food, I couldn't say.  :)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 August 2019, 21:54:58 »

If you need to avoid chlorine then don't ever use tap water for cooking or drinks as it is used to purify the water. US & EU have different standards, some like a ban on trans fats are better in the US & others better in the EU, but neither are much worse than each other.

The problem with the current wave of identity & virtual signalling politics is that they are generally nothing more than useless sound bites & those using them generally know next to nothing of any use on the subject they are spouting on about, which is why the current crop of career politicians are appalling & useless with only a few exceptions. :(
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 August 2019, 10:58:29 »

As I understand it all their chicken is washed in chlorine Baza, and I think you'll find that there are less incidences proportionally (per 100,000 people) of food poisoning (salmonella and campylobactor) in the US than the EU.  :-\

Whether that's because of the chlorine wash, or that the Yanks cook the opps out of their food, I couldn't say.  :)

Considering pretty much everything over there gets cooked in Castrol 20/50 for about 30mins at 250 degrees, I'm amazed anything (including the food survives!

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 August 2019, 13:31:29 »

Having been involved in food for a few years now, If the public knew, we would all Starve,  The only way to be safe is grow your own, same as Animals grow your own.then you can be sure
Hoof'land storeman.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 August 2019, 17:05:26 »

I'm partial to the Colonel's secret recipe of 11 herbs and spices.

But it doesn't like me.  I can time it almost to the minute before its fully worked its way through  :-[
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.