Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which 4 channel amp?  (Read 2313 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Which 4 channel amp?
« on: 05 March 2007, 23:35:56 »

Hi All,

Thinking about getting a 4 channel amp to use with my CDR2006. Basically I don't mind the sound quality or the features of the CDR2006, the factory speakers seem adequate and I don't really want to change the head unit and draw attention to a tasty ICE install. My only complaint is that the CDR2006 gets a bit ragged at high volume levels so I'm looking to fit a 4 channel amp to drive, initially at least, the standard speakers.

40 or 50 watts RMS is probably adequate, and all the standard speakers will likely take. Seems like the Alpine MRP-F242, JVC KS-AX3500, FLI Audio Loaded 800s and similar would do the job.

Anybody got any experiences of amps around this level (just sub 100 quid for the above, although I could go higher if worth it)?

I guess I'm going to have to use speaker level inputs although I might have a poke around in the CDR2006 and see if I can bring out some line level signals.

Also, I remember some discussion about the switching signal from the CDR2006 being a bit tricky to interface to an amp. Something about loading this line causing problems with the MID / steering wheel control illumination. Any experiences here? I'm an electronics engineer so I can always fabricate something to link the two, just wondered what the issues are?

Thanks In Advance

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Which 4 channel amp?
« Reply #1 on: 06 March 2007, 08:55:50 »

30W RMS is about the most the speakers will take!

Surely a 'Ken Wood' is the amp fo choice......

So, a reasonable 4 x 30W RMS amp would be a good choice...

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 March 2007, 08:57:03 »

I take it this is not a Bose amplified system then?

I woud be tempted to go with speaker level inputs, but doubtless Marks DTM will suggest a means by which you can obtain line level... ;)

As for the amp. 4x 40w rms will be more than enough and the speakers respond VERY well to this. I would strongly recommend adding in a sub though. As you are going to the trouble of adding an amp, a sub is a simple addition and will make the speakers even better once they are high passed.

As for the choice of amp?
I would go for a good 2nd hand amp. At up to £100 you can get some very nice pieces of kit.
Alpine (MRV-F407 HIGHLY recommended), Phoenix Gold, Pioneer, Kenwood (I have a small 4 channel one to fit that even gets Marks approval!  :o)

Have a look at these on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/alpine-4-3-2-channel-power-amplifier_W0QQitemZ260090552266QQihZ016QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260090552266 a bit scruffy looking, but a superb amp.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/phoenix-gold-4-channel-amp_W0QQitemZ280089124604QQihZ018QQcategoryZ4950QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item280089124604

Or of course the truly wonderful... Genesis amps... :)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Genesis-Four-Channel-Car-Audio-Amplifier_W0QQitemZ180092639594QQihZ008QQcategoryZ4950QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180092639594
The Administrator.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 March 2007, 09:18:06 »

Thanks for the advice, guys.

No, the system is not bose.

Hadn't thought of checking ebay. Don't know why not. I seem to buy most of my stuff there these days..

Cheers,

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 March 2007, 09:21:31 »

Hmm. That Genesis is only up the road from me too  :)

Kevin

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 March 2007, 10:42:12 »

Kevin,

I cannot recommend highly enough a replacement head unit! I put an Alpine 9854R in mine, with a single DIN conversation plate, and it sounds brilliant. Its amazing what a difference the headunit can make.

I was worried about the look of the dash with a Single DIN conversation plate, but it looks good and I have a slot for my iPod!  :D
« Last Edit: 06 March 2007, 10:42:31 by tunnie »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 March 2007, 11:30:45 »

Kevin,

I cannot recommend highly enough a replacement head unit! I put an Alpine 9854R in mine, with a single DIN conversation plate, and it sounds brilliant. Its amazing what a difference the headunit can make.

I was worried about the look of the dash with a Single DIN conversation plate, but it looks good and I have a slot for my iPod!  :D

In reality though all you are gaining is a better amp and bells and whistles....

I much prefer the seperate amp route which gives an even better sound, much more power and control and allows the seemless addition of a sub....the bottom line is that the amps in the headunits are a BIG compromise due to space and heat constraints...

The external 4 channel amp is the right route to go in my opinion...

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 March 2007, 19:54:59 »

I think you are both right :)

In an ideal situation, upgrade the headunit (with at least 2 sets of pre-outs) and then add in an amp(s) and sub.

The Administrator.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 March 2007, 20:01:00 »

I wanted MP3 capabilities too, and did not want FM modulators again so thats why i went for Alpine.

I have a Sub in the boot with a built in AMP, its similar to this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vibe-CBR-10-CBR10-Active-Car-Subwoofer_W0QQitemZ120092839628QQihZ002QQcategoryZ18805QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Although mine is a later model with the BlackAir 2 system, is it worth sending amping the speakers from the Sub?

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 March 2007, 20:35:19 »

Although mine is a later model with the BlackAir 2 system, is it worth sending amping the speakers from the Sub?

Pardon?  :-?

CBR10 is excellent by the way. :)
The Administrator.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 March 2007, 21:19:15 »

Well, I won the Alpine. Should do the job. Looks like an MRV-F407 to me. Like you say a bit tatty but it'll be tucked away somewhere in any case. As long as it's OK electrically I'm happy.

No Speaker level inputs but I'll sort that one way or the other.

Kevin

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 March 2007, 08:15:48 »

Three resistors will drop the line level nicely....

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 March 2007, 10:35:39 »

Three resistors will drop the line level nicely....

Yep. I was thinking about putting a transformer in the line just to break the ground between head unit and amp, and because the head unit may have a Bridged output, I suppose (although I could just take the +ve speaker wire against ground).

Then again, I wonder if the inputs on the amp are floating anyway?

Kevin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.