Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Audi A8  (Read 27063 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Audi A8
« Reply #30 on: 06 August 2018, 19:33:14 »

.... remembering my requirements of:

Saloon, petrol,  ...

Why do you specifically want to stay with petrol? I have to admit that my diseasal R Class walks all over my Omega as a tow car. Since I last saw you, we've now got a heavy Coachman twin axle (MTPLM of 1865kg), & while I know it's on the back, the R Class tows it a piece of p

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 06 August 2018, 19:52:05 »

.... remembering my requirements of:

Saloon, petrol,  ...

Why do you specifically want to stay with petrol? I have to admit that my diseasal R Class walks all over my Omega as a tow car. Since I last saw you, we've now got a heavy Coachman twin axle (MTPLM of 1865kg), & while I know it's on the back, the R Class tows it a piece of p

Because derv is dead in the water. :).....and the government is helping with it's demise.

A turbo/SC petrol will have as much torque as a diesel which is the main requirement for dragging a burger van behind the car.
« Last Edit: 06 August 2018, 19:54:17 by Field Marshal Dr. Opti »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 06 August 2018, 19:55:24 »

Because derv is dead in the water. :)

I very much doubt that white van man, or bus companies or haulage companies would agree  ;) ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 06 August 2018, 19:58:45 »

Because derv is dead in the water. :)

I very much doubt that white van man, or bus companies or haulage companies would agree  ;) ;)

.....but when it comes to members of the public spending their own money on a car many will not buy another diesel. Sales about 30% down, I think.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 06 August 2018, 20:17:39 »

Incidentally...

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=253426101801&category=33653&pm=1&ds=0&t=1529549587000&ver=0

Fwiw :y

US spec, not type approved for UK use... so .. if the car is imported wearing it.. fine .. but if you fit one here ... illegal...  :(

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 06 August 2018, 20:59:37 »

W212 e class estate has self levelling as standard and rated to tow 2,100 kgs

Thanks for the thought, not at all interested in manufacturers "it can tow" dream figures .... I want a towcar that ACTUALLY weighs more than what I'm towing...(kerbweight)  manufacturers cannot change the laws of physics, no matter how hard they lie.

Been there done the "it can tow" thing ... Ex military Series 2 Landrover weight around 2500 lb (stripped version for air transport) towing capacity 3.5 ton (7800lbs) .. loaded 4 wheel trailer with 10 x 24 man tents (old fashioned heavy duty canvas jobbers) and their associated poles.pegs etc... pulled it fine, bombing down the road at a steady 50 mph was no problem at all ...... but when the idiot woman with 3 kids in the car in front braked hard to turn left without signalling it all got hairy ... all 4 wheels on the Landy locked, but the inertia of the trailer just kept going .. and going ... and going (luckily in a straight line)... pushed me to within about 2mm of the idiot, how I missed her I have no idea, but it scared me rigid ... I could easily have wiped out the whole family.....

I now think seriously not about "can it pull" but "can it stop" ...... every time I tow something different to the norm.  Call me a wimp if you wish, but that's how it is , and how it will stay .. :)

I know what you mean,hence I tow 1800kg Tin tent with 2500kg  of four wheel drive with plenty of torque,its the most stable vehicle I've ever towed with and there's been a few, it can tow 3500kg but that doesnt interest me :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

2boxerdogs

« Reply #36 on: 06 August 2018, 21:08:59 »

Pal of mine had an Audi A8 few years back lovely car to ride in & terrific performance but he was put off by the price of repairs/ parts  + a few electrical gremlins as well sold it & replaced it with a V8 Discovery which amazingly he has had no problems with.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 06 August 2018, 21:24:01 »

Is the modern[ish]A8 the same car as a VW Phaeton or are they totally different animals-seem to recall someone on here had a Phaeton at one time?

2boxerdogs

« Reply #38 on: 06 August 2018, 21:46:49 »

W212 e class estate has self levelling as standard and rated to tow 2,100 kgs

Thanks for the thought, not at all interested in manufacturers "it can tow" dream figures .... I want a towcar that ACTUALLY weighs more than what I'm towing...(kerbweight)  manufacturers cannot change the laws of physics, no matter how hard they lie.

Been there done the "it can tow" thing ... Ex military Series 2 Landrover weight around 2500 lb (stripped version for air transport) towing capacity 3.5 ton (7800lbs) .. loaded 4 wheel trailer with 10 x 24 man tents (old fashioned heavy duty canvas jobbers) and their associated poles.pegs etc... pulled it fine, bombing down the road at a steady 50 mph was no problem at all ...... but when the idiot woman with 3 kids in the car in front braked hard to turn left without signalling it all got hairy ... all 4 wheels on the Landy locked, but the inertia of the trailer just kept going .. and going ... and going (luckily in a straight line)... pushed me to within about 2mm of the idiot, how I missed her I have no idea, but it scared me rigid ... I could easily have wiped out the whole family.....

I now think seriously not about "can it pull" but "can it stop" ...... every time I tow something different to the norm.  Call me a wimp if you wish, but that's how it is , and how it will stay .. :)

I know what you mean,hence I tow 1800kg Tin tent with 2500kg  of four wheel drive with plenty of torque,its the most stable vehicle I've ever towed with and there's been a few, it can tow 3500kg but that doesnt interest me :y

I can relate to that when we bought our van the dealer asked what vehicle we intended to tow with at the time it was the Mig estate , he replied it will pull it but won't stop ! Hence the Terracan which is a terrific tow vehicle.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 06 August 2018, 22:26:18 »

V8 Discovery

I really liked the Disco 3 that I had briefly earlier in the year and regret getting rid.  ::)

So I had a cunning plan to find a decent V8 Disco 4 and get it LPG'd as a keeper!  :y. Only to discover that they didn't do a petrol Disco 4  and the V8 Disco 3's out there are either mega money or are dogs!  ::)  :(

You can get the new Disco 5 with a 300hp  2 ltr petrol but I haven't got 50 odd grand floating around.  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 06 August 2018, 22:33:40 »

If going Disco type, I’d prefer a Range Rover

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 06 August 2018, 22:37:57 »

Yes but there's the hedgehog joke!  ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 06 August 2018, 22:41:53 »

Nige obviously doesn't fancy a big SUV/4x4 type thingie?  :-\

Maybe he's scarred for life from his days driving Series 2 Landys in the RAF!  ;D

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 06 August 2018, 23:41:10 »

BMW 5/7 series or Merc E/S Class...

If you must go VAG, five year old dsg notwithstanding, then you can't rule out the 3.6 Superb.

Petrol does rather limit your choices somewhat. That said, the sort of budget you are looking at could see a Holden VE/F Calais landed, which is probably the closest thing to an actual Omega replacement on the planet... Both in 3.6 and 6.0 guises.

Cadillac CTS, STS also left field options.

Online research.... whilst drinking and using a smart phone .. seemed to show that the bmw / merc offerings are all around 1600 kgs, which means the tin-tent loaded (1690 kgs) would weigh more than the towcar .. not something I wish to aim for, hence the 1800 - 1900 kg target. Audi LPG looks unlikely as they all seem to be TFSI in petrol versions.

Holden appears a non-starter as there is no type certified towbar available.

Although not actively looking to change right now,... this is the "sort" of thing that arouses a little interest ...

https://www.sytner.co.uk/audi/car-search/8915803-1094405-audi-a8-3-0-tfsi-quattro-se-executive-4dr-tip-auto/

:)

A lot of car for the money.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 07 August 2018, 00:10:46 »

This. And I know I'm a prick, I don't mind advertising ;)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.