Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: I've got a bike.....  (Read 4831 times)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
I've got a bike.....
« on: 01 October 2017, 14:53:57 »

.....now to get the lycra! Yep, I've joined the enemy, gone over to the dark side, sold my soul to the devil. Well, at least now I can ignore all traffic laws and traffic lights, etc - as long as I don't kill anyone.
Um, I have a request, if any proper cyclist can help; how do I repair a punctured rear tyre? I don't know how to remove the rear wheel without getting the chain in a mucking fuddle.  :-[ ???

Ron.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
Re: I've got a bike.....
« Reply #1 on: 01 October 2017, 15:01:54 »

Plenty of How to,s on YouTube Ron lad :y. Getting the wheel out depends on if you have quick release wheels or not. Has it got derailleur gears?

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 October 2017, 15:16:41 »

Plenty of How to,s on YouTube Ron lad :y. Getting the wheel out depends on if you have quick release wheels or not. Has it got derailleur gears?

Ronny ... penny farthings don't have gears .....    :)

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 October 2017, 16:22:29 »

Didn,t have chains either. :P

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 October 2017, 16:36:58 »

....... how do I repair I don't know how to remove the rear wheel without getting the chain in a mucking fuddle.  :-[ ???

Ron.

The Derailier will usually stay where it is when the wheel is removed

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 October 2017, 17:44:12 »

I was expecting a p*ss-take, so not disappointed!
Ah, so the gears remain in place? Ok, I'll do battle tomorrow - must be easier than an Omega.
Then I will have to fit kiddy-type stabilisers for a while until I remember how to balance on two wheels!
Why have I joined the enemy? My doctor insisted, if I want to go on living..... :(

Ron.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 October 2017, 18:03:02 »

I was expecting a p*ss-take, so not disappointed!
Ah, so the gears remain in place? Ok, I'll do battle tomorrow - must be easier than an Omega.
Then I will have to fit kiddy-type stabilisers for a while until I remember how to balance on two wheels!
Why have I joined the enemy? My doctor insisted, if I want to go on living..... :(

Ron.

There's also electric assisted  ....  :y (not that I've cycled anywhere in many a year  :-[)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 October 2017, 18:14:05 »

Yes Andy, but usung electrickery won't do what my GP wants me to do - to become less of a good thing!  ::)

Ron.

Toledodude1973

• Omega Knight
  • IPSWICH U.K.
  • 2002 2.6 elite,1973 ,Gas van,1974 victor fe
    • 2.6 OMEGA ELITE 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 October 2017, 18:54:59 »

Ron the kids just dump their bike these days in the event of a puncture,then get a new one :)
2002 omega slowly morphing into 2003 omega with increasing doner parts fitted

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 October 2017, 19:50:42 »

Yes Andy, but usung electrickery won't do what my GP wants me to do - to become less of a good thing!  ::)

Ron.

I suppose I should try it myself before I'm told to  ;)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 October 2017, 21:10:19 »

Yerse, needs must! I'd rather go swimming, but I would need to go three times per week to be effective and the cost is prohibitive for me.  :(

Ron.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 October 2017, 21:49:01 »

You won't forget how to balance, but I would suggest you go somewhere safe and quiet like cycle paths in a local park to practice as falling off in front of a car is not a risk you need to take and also, stay on fairly flat ground until you are fitter as you don't want to overdo things. :y :y :y Leather lined cycling shorts make time sitting on the saddle much more comfortable.

I would recommend replacing the tyres with kevlar lined reasonably puncture proof ones and getting a small cycling bag that attaches to the bike to keep a spare inner tube, puncture repair kit and a few tools or a proper cycling jersey with pockets in the back to carry them. When using my mountain bike I use the former and the latter when using my racing bike.

Alternatively, if you want to get fit in the warm and dry you can always buy a turbo trainer to put your bike on and exercise indoors, but get a good summer cooling fan and wear light clothes as you will sweat buckets as you get fitter and faster. On my turbo trainer I can set a training time or distance length and it tells you either the distance covered in the time or vice versa and calories burned. It has also got a magnetic brake hill climbing function with up to 1 in 4 gradients now that really does get the sweat pouring. The timing function makes the cycling much more interesting as you can measure your improvement as you get fitter. When using the turbo trainer I've also got a pulse meter as setting a pulse speed limit is also a good measure of improved fitness where it goes down for the same work rate as you get fitter.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 October 2017, 21:57:50 »

I would be happy to come in to London and ride a bit with you if you want, give you some tips on safe riding, road position, defensive strategies etc.  No need for lycra, I only wear that when training or doing a very long commute (with a guarantee of a shower at the other end).   I will be working down in the Gatwick area for the next 18 months so it would be easy to head in to London rather than doing the occasional ride home to Farnborough. :y

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 October 2017, 10:14:19 »

Thanks gents, your comments are much appreciated.
Rods2, I definitely intend to start gently and NO hills; I have a heart condition as well as arthritic joints (especially knees), so I want to ease into things slowly.
Leather shorts – that’s a bit Sloane Square, isn’t it? Initially I don’t plan to go far enough to take the shine off my trousers!
I’ve still got some of that magic fluid, OKO, which I’ll fill the inners with and I should remain puncture-proof forever…..
The emergency kit in a bag is a good idea – just like Omega spares in the boot, but I’ll pass on the jersey, thanks – I don’t want to look like a “cyclist”.
Ah, indoor exercise; I don’t see the fun in that and prefer to go outdoors – it also gives me an excuse not to cycle if it’s raining!
You are right about the pulse rate, though: I’m hypertensive and need to be careful.

Guffer, what a generous offer, thank you. I’m not in London, however, but in the wilds of Essex, near Colchester – Witham, in fact. I’ll fly solo to start with, thanks, as I don’t intend to go far an d probably after dark so asnot to humiliate myself in broad daylight!

A propos of that, the bike is second hand, without lights, so do you have any recommendations for good lighting – presumably LEDs?

Ron.

aaronjb

« Reply #14 on: 02 October 2017, 10:46:45 »

A propos of that, the bike is second hand, without lights, so do you have any recommendations for good lighting – presumably LEDs?

How about one of those like I had as a lad - you know, you flip the little generator over onto the wheel and it seems to make pedalling 10x harder while providing all the light output of a faltering candle...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.