Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Signum tyre choice. Advice please.  (Read 5826 times)

btc

• Intermediate Member
  • Burgess Hill
  • Medium black pussy
    • XF 2.0d r sport
    • View Profile

mka306

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: Signum tyre choice. Advice please.
« Reply #17 on: 12 July 2015, 11:53:11 »

mka306

« Reply #18 on: 12 July 2015, 11:55:00 »

Have a check on here  :y

https://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator/215-50R17/225-45R17

I like that, very useful indeed :y

I can't get the link to play ball. :-\

Try just tyoing the web address into your browser and go from there.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12 July 2015, 12:58:00 »

I'm reliably informed that a 215/50/17 tyre has an overall diameter of 647mm.

A 225/45/17 tyre has an overall diameter of 634mm......................some 2% less.

Will this have the effect of raising or lowering the overall gearing. Will the car accelerate slower or faster?

I shall now remove my anorak. :)
Smaller overall diameter = lower (shorter) gearing -> marginally quicker acceleration and higher revs (and over reading speedometer).

None of the above will perceptible of course but an increase in road noise will be.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12 July 2015, 14:07:30 »

A 225/45/17 tyre has an overall diameter of 634mm......................some 2% less.

Will this have the effect of raising or lowering the overall gearing. Will the car accelerate slower or faster?

Smaller overall diameter = lower (shorter) gearing -> marginally quicker acceleration and higher revs (and over reading speedometer).

None of the above will perceptible of course but an increase in road noise will be.

Car is very long-legged  and needs only 2000 RPM to maintain 70 MPH in 6th gear. Slightly shorter gearing should not present too much of a problem. :y

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12 July 2015, 21:02:07 »

Car is very long-legged  and needs only 2000 RPM to maintain 70 MPH in 6th gear. Slightly shorter gearing should not present too much of a problem. :y

6th?  You have a 6 speed in yours?
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 12 July 2015, 21:23:16 »

6th?  You have a 6 speed in yours?

6 speed auto. :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 13 July 2015, 11:50:51 »

Yes.... I thought this to be the case. :y

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 24 July 2015, 06:49:23 »

My old 3.2 Signum had 17's and I did take the OEM option of changing to 225's because of cost.

Went through a few different tyres and found Avon ZZV to be the best priced, lasted well and work the best.

My Current Signum is the V6 turbo but its on 18's as part of the XP2 kit, first full set of tyres was fitted middle of last year and again went for Avon ZZV's mainly because the AA were doing a deal and they cost £94 per corner fitted!!

Would say with the turbo, spirited driving, no front tyres will last that long  ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 24 July 2015, 11:32:35 »

My old 3.2 Signum had 17's and I did take the OEM option of changing to 225's because of cost.

Went through a few different tyres and found Avon ZZV to be the best priced, lasted well and work the best.

My Current Signum is the V6 turbo but its on 18's as part of the XP2 kit, first full set of tyres was fitted middle of last year and again went for Avon ZZV's mainly because the AA were doing a deal and they cost £94 per corner fitted!!

Would say with the turbo, spirited driving, no front tyres will last that long  ;D

Have you had your car remapped, Phil?

If so any problems?

Courtney Motorsport seem to have plenty of experience with this engine. Apparently £575 will buy a before and after rolling road test for a stage 1 remap.

This 'supposedly' yields 295  BHP  and 400 lb (my brain won't work in NM) ft of torque.

.....all through the front tyres. :-\

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 27 July 2015, 07:31:48 »

If so any problems?

Courtney Motorsport seem to have plenty of experience with this engine. Apparently £575 will buy a before and after rolling road test for a stage 1 remap.

This 'supposedly' yields 295  BHP  and 400 lb (my brain won't work in NM) ft of torque.

Short answer yes its been remapped.

Long answer involves finding paperwork with the car, discussions with Superchips, getting a new Bluefin unit and playing with it, result HUGE grin :-)

If you want to do it, as its an auto rolling road set up is quite hard, with the Bluefin you download the map on the car, email it to Superchips, in 48hrsish they send you the new map back and you just download it with the handheld unit. All for around £350, imho best way to go.

You will notice a huge in gear difference, as the box goes up or down when on boost you really can feel the pull.

Mine was a 230, but having a play with a G meter type plug in box of tricks theat works off the OBD port it will now hit 60 in around 6.3 seconds, for a heavy (Elite spec weighs little bit more than an Omega!!) repmobile with an auto box, I'm quite impressed with that.

Superchips quote that the 230, 255 and 280 versions all end up with around 290-300bhp and 400lb/ft and I have no reason to disagree its close to that

Oh and fuel economy has improved slightly, not that it really matters.

What you will find is once its mapped it will highlight any issues with coil packs and spark plugs, but packs can be bought for around £35-50 each and upgraded plugs are about £50 for all 6 Iridium, but its really important to make sute they are gapped to 0.8mm as that resolves alot of issues
« Last Edit: 27 July 2015, 07:35:56 by Phil »

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 27 July 2015, 11:33:47 »

If so any problems?

Short answer yes its been remapped.

Long answer involves finding paperwork with the car, discussions with Superchips, getting a new Bluefin unit and playing with it, result HUGE grin :-)

If you want to do it, as its an auto rolling road set up is quite hard, with the Bluefin you download the map on the car, email it to Superchips, in 48hrsish they send you the new map back and you just download it with the handheld unit. All for around £350, imho best way to go.

You will notice a huge in gear difference, as the box goes up or down when on boost you really can feel the pull.

Mine was a 230, but having a play with a G meter type plug in box of tricks theat works off the OBD port it will now hit 60 in around 6.3 seconds, for a heavy (Elite spec weighs little bit more than an Omega!!) repmobile with an auto box, I'm quite impressed with that.

Superchips quote that the 230, 255 and 280 versions all end up with around 290-300bhp and 400lb/ft and I have no reason to disagree its close to that

Oh and fuel economy has improved slightly, not that it really matters.

What you will find is once its mapped it will highlight any issues with coil packs and spark plugs, but packs can be bought for around £35-50 each and upgraded plugs are about £50 for all 6 Iridium, but its really important to make sute they are gapped to 0.8mm as that resolves alot of issues

Yes, I've heard that remaps work better with the plugs gapped thus.

I tried four different maps from a Bluefin Superchips device before returning it for a refund.

Performance was much improved with the standard map......the car being both smoother and quicker.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 27 July 2015, 11:43:10 »

....being the '250' version it appears all the performance gains were already put in place by Vauxhall. :-\

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 28 July 2015, 07:19:12 »

....being the '250' version it appears all the performance gains were already put in place by Vauxhall. :-\

280 had the 'full beanz' but alas was never available in the Signum or Elite spec Vectras.

The only real difference between the 250 and 280 is the Vauxhall map and the VXR has a slightly different air box, it has an extra hole in the bottom.

The difference with the Bluefin on mine is really noticable, any gear from 2k-5.5k it pulls really really well. If you were a bit closer would take you for a comparisson drive in it, think you will notice the difference.

Guess I was lucky with mine, but its a daily runner,  its Elite spec with a few otional extras, I bought it 18 months ago with under 80k on it and only paid £2.5k, even better it misses the expensive tax band by 2 days so costs no more to tax than my Omega :-)

The 'its just a crappy Vxl' looks makes alot of 'sporty' and 'performance variant' cars look very very silly, not that I would ever do that sort of thing :-)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.