Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Denial of driving abilities 2  (Read 5849 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Crazycarzowner

Re: Denial of driving abilities 2
« Reply #1 on: 27 November 2016, 14:31:51 »

I relieved someone of their driving duties on the M56 a few weeks ago, driving at 35-40mph & using all 3 lanes, the hardshoulder & grass verge as the road  :o :o :o

When asked to do the number plate eye test they replied (I kid you not) "Where's the car!!!!"

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 November 2016, 14:55:30 »

I relieved someone of their driving duties on the M56 a few weeks ago, driving at 35-40mph & using all 3 lanes, the hardshoulder & grass verge as the road  :o :o :o

When asked to do the number plate eye test they replied (I kid you not) "Where's the car!!!!"

I assume pi$$ed  ???

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #3 on: 27 November 2016, 14:59:06 »

I assume pi$$ed  ???

Nope, not drugged either. How can I put it............'of a certain age'

STEMO

« Reply #4 on: 27 November 2016, 15:26:23 »

I'm afraid that this is going to become a real problem soon. I am out and about during the day, in between rush hours, when they all come out to play. The section of the A61 which runs between Barnsley and Wakefield is a nice, long, rural run (about 6 miles). It is a 50mph limit but this was reduced recently from NSL. Oldies drive along at 35-40 and really piss everyone off. This results in tailgating, even by HGV's, and a lot of suicide overtakes. One day there will be a pile-up. Everyone knows this and is just waiting for it to happen.
So....what will be the result when it happens? They will drop the limit to 40, so the codgers can drive safely.......probably at 25-30.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 November 2016, 15:54:28 »

I'm afraid that this is going to become a real problem soon. I am out and about during the day, in between rush hours, when they all come out to play. The section of the A61 which runs between Barnsley and Wakefield is a nice, long, rural run (about 6 miles). It is a 50mph limit but this was reduced recently from NSL. Oldies drive along at 35-40 and really piss everyone off. This results in tailgating, even by HGV's, and a lot of suicide overtakes. One day there will be a pile-up. Everyone knows this and is just waiting for it to happen.
So....what will be the result when it happens? They will drop the limit to 40, so the codgers can drive safely.......probably at 25-30.
Same around here - local council were really keen to lower the limits from NSL, for tree-hugging, do-gooding, we-waste-so-much-tax-payers-money-so-we-have-to-make-changes type reasons, but the road had not had some requirement needed for them to do it (something like accidents within a time period).  Eventually, an accident claimed 4 fatalities, and within weeks, the limit was dropped to 50, with the usual retards insisting on driving 15mph below...   ...cue the frustrations, tailgateing and bad overtakes...   ...and now there are even more accidents.

If everyone drove at the speed limit, all would be good. But too many insist on driving so much below it, it causes accidents, injuries and fatalities  >:(
Grumpy old man

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 November 2016, 17:12:21 »

It,s peoples in built fear of getting caught, which is why they brake when they see a speed camera, even though they are within the limit anyway. ::)

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 November 2016, 18:12:37 »

Its actually surprising how many people don't pay attention to road signs, either signs at the side of the road or signs painted on the road....and when I say 'don't pay attention' I don't mean they see them and ignore them....they just don't see them!

Two roads not far from me are 40mph limits.....both in built up areas.....the limit is 40mph....always has been.
But I am often >:( behind cars doing 30mph..... probably the drivers of those cars assume the limit is 30mph, because the roads are in built up areas....  :-\

Another one is where the council has changed the priority of a junction......they repainted the signs on the road and put up new signage at the side of the road....Its a T junction or was...normally at a T junction....the cars going straight on have right of way over cars approaching on the T part of the junction....if you see what I mean...Now the cars approaching on the T part have right of way over the cars on the straight part....and they are supposed to give way .... I have had several near misses where the drivers on the straight part just carry on going....and have nearly taken off the front of my car.....What do they not see??? Painted in the road on the 'old' straight though part are give way signs.....there are big signs at the side of the road that say Give Way....

Too busy on arsebook and titter on their phones to notice I guess  ::) >:(

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 November 2016, 18:27:49 »

It,s peoples in built fear of getting caught, which is why they brake when they see a speed camera, even though they are within the limit anyway. ::)

I fully agree with that. People have lost the concentration and focus mainly on their speed and the hidden vans/police. We spend more time looking at the speedo than the road ahead, which completely goes against the alleged safety aspect.
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 November 2016, 18:43:24 »

I hope I'll know when to give up, however to allay your fears I just did the JustPark reactive driving test on the PC, best was as a 20 year old, and worst as a 26 year old (10 tests). I'll keep going a bit longer. :y

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 November 2016, 20:54:21 »

to be fair you sometimes find yourself on a road which you think should be a 40 but you are not sure so you stick at 30 ish til you see a sign. Especially when camera signs around.
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

STEMO

« Reply #11 on: 27 November 2016, 20:56:00 »

to be fair you sometimes find yourself on a road which you think should be a 40 but you are not sure so you stick at 30 ish til you see a sign. Especially when camera signs around.
So it's you! In your big, fat arsed phaeton. Get outta my waaaaaaay...... ;D

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 November 2016, 20:58:47 »

I sincerely hope so - anything to wind you up is well worth it
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 November 2016, 21:00:54 »

Nope, not drugged either. How can I put it............'of a certain age'

Ah!  ???

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 November 2016, 06:46:09 »

I see examples of people ignoring/not seeing road signage.There is no right turn from the main road onto the road where I live,this is signalled by a large white arrow and the words "ahead only"painted on the road surface and a clear roadside sign showing no right turn.Many people still do turn right though,most get away with it but a good few don't so the emergency services are quite regular visitors at the end of our road.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 28 November 2016, 17:23:49 »

But you can tell in 250yrds, and that's assuming poor eyesight, not 10 bloody miles!

;)
Grumpy old man

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 November 2016, 17:59:31 »

If you`re coming onto a road there will be a commencement sign the size of a dustbin lid, if you just `find yourself` on a road then it sounds like you`re half asleep, smaller repeater signs are a regular intervals so there`s no excuse for driving 10mph below the speed limit.

I think 50% of drivers on the road have no idea of the speed limits on most roads, too often I am stuck behind someone doing 40 or 50 in a national speed limit and 50-60 on a dual carriageway with national speed limit, and then you get the nobheads doing 30 in a 40 limit and the the clowns at 6 in the morning doing 25  >:(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 November 2016, 18:11:21 »

If you`re coming onto a road there will be a commencement sign the size of a dustbin lid, if you just `find yourself` on a road then it sounds like you`re half asleep, smaller repeater signs are a regular intervals so there`s no excuse for driving 10mph below the speed limit.

I think 50% of drivers on the road have no idea of the speed limits on most roads, too often I am stuck behind someone doing 40 or 50 in a national speed limit and 50-60 on a dual carriageway with national speed limit, and then you get the nobheads doing 30 in a 40 limit and the the clowns at 6 in the morning doing 25  >:(
Mr Gav, you forgot the 'tards doing 45mph in a NSL, come to a 30mph village section, and still do 45mph  >:(

I'm sure these are the people who have never had an accident, but witnessed hundreds...
Grumpy old man

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 November 2016, 18:36:19 »

Mr Gav, you forgot the 'tards doing 45mph in a NSL, come to a 30mph village section, and still do 45mph  >:(

I'm sure these are the people who have never had an accident, but witnessed hundreds...

Bugger.....yeah I forgot those too, along with all those special needs people that do 50 in the outside lane of a NSL dual carriageway when the inside lane is empty  >:(

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 November 2016, 20:28:16 »

I was always taught that the speed limit was a "LIMIT"  ..not a "TARGET" ... there are many times, and places, where to be travelling at the speed limit is downright stupid and bloody dangerous.

If someone is of the opinion that the "safe" speed to be driving is 10 miles below the limit, THAT IS THEIR RIGHT, and no-one has any "duty" to drive at the speed "YOU" want to go at.

Whatever happened to patience and consideration of others ?? or are you all far more important then everyone else ???  :(

AFAIK there are no roads in the UK that have a statutory "minimum" speed, perhaps there should be, but that is a different matter.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28 November 2016, 20:53:42 »

I was always taught that the speed limit was a "LIMIT"  ..not a "TARGET"
Nah, its the target :)

AFAIK there are no roads in the UK that have a statutory "minimum" speed, perhaps there should be, but that is a different matter.
Aren't motorways still a (dangerously low) 30mph, or has that been abolished.
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 28 November 2016, 21:16:19 »

I have no problem with people who want to drive below the speed limit, as long as they are considerate and realise that people behind them may want to travel faster, and them and their vehicle may well be capable of doing so. They should pull over when safe to do so,and let people past.
Many of those who constantly drive at 40mph on nsl roads, strike me as having the attitude that its as fast as they feel safe driving at and automatically assume that the same applies to everyone else.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 28 November 2016, 21:16:46 »

I was always taught that the speed limit was a "LIMIT"  ..not a "TARGET" ... there are many times, and places, where to be travelling at the speed limit is downright stupid and bloody dangerous.

If someone is of the opinion that the "safe" speed to be driving is 10 miles below the limit, THAT IS THEIR RIGHT, and no-one has any "duty" to drive at the speed "YOU" want to go at.

Whatever happened to patience and consideration of others ?? or are you all far more important then everyone else ???  :(

but when weather & traffic etc are OK, then travelling at speeds sunstantially under the limit just causes tailbacks & frustration behind them. I was sat behind a silly bint yesterday, dual carraigeway, 30 limit & she was barely doing 25 in the right hand lane. If she felt that 25 was a good speed to be travelling at .... despite every other bugger going faster ... there was a left hand lane she could have been in. On a bus would have been better for all of us.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 28 November 2016, 23:20:42 »

When I was taught to drive you had to drive at the speed limit where traffic and conditions allowed to show that you were competent, and you got a mark against you on your test if you drove below the speed limit if conditions allowed and my girlfriend past her test around nine years ago and it was exactly the same for her.
I went past a guy last week who was doing 40 in the outside lane of a NSL dual carriageway, the inside lane was clear, weather conditions were good yet he looked terrified, I think he should have been on a bus as driving clearly wasn`t for him. If he had been displaying `P` plates then you can cut him a bit of slack but all he was doing was winding everybody up cos he should have done the right thing and pulled over but no, he just sat in the outside lane oblivious to what he was causing.
A lot of my journey is dual carriageway with a fair chunk of it being NSL and there are so many people hogging the outside lane driving below the speed limit yet refusing to pull over to let people past.
We should drive on the left unless overtaking.

Tyne tunnel is one I believe and there is a road sign for the minimum speed limit  :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 28 November 2016, 23:42:21 »

When I was taught to drive you had to drive at the speed limit where traffic and conditions allowed to show that you were competent,  ....

'making progress' is the phrase you're looking for  :y :y

I can't remember now what I was taught .....  ::)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 28 November 2016, 23:45:27 »

I wasn't taught. Never took a driving lesson in my life.  ;D

Passed my test at the first attempt though.  :)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 29 November 2016, 00:03:12 »

Whilst we're having rants....

I have to drive home about 10 miles on a moderately twitsy unlit 50/NSL single carriageway A road. The straight bits are easily 60, and all bar one of the bends are 60 in most weather. What gets my goat this time of year (when it's dark coming home) are people who barrel along at 50 on the straights, and then stamp on the anchors (down to sub 30) whenever a car comes the other way. I can only assume that their eyesight is so poor that the oncoming cars' headlights dazzle them. It doesn't seem to matter how good/bad the oncoming cars' lights are they just stamp on the brakes.

And

The number of 'modern' cars coming the other way with one headlight out. I recon it's about 1 every 5 minutes - perhaps 5 most nights on the 20 minute drive home. In 30 years of motoring I have never had a headlight bulb fail. WTF is wrong with modern bulbs?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 29 November 2016, 00:13:20 »

..... In 30 years of motoring I have never had a headlight bulb fail. WTF is wrong with modern bulbs?

I sold my T reg Omega a few years back now still complete with its original HID 'bulbs', but I changed a dipped on my Merc just the other week and it's opposite lamp last year. The Smart Roadster has gone through a number of them over the past 7(?) years, but it seem they all do  :-\

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 29 November 2016, 09:29:57 »

I have to drive home about 10 miles on a moderately twitsy unlit 50/NSL single carriageway A road. The straight bits are easily 60, and all bar one of the bends are 60 in most weather. What gets my goat this time of year (when it's dark coming home) are people who barrel along at 50 on the straights, and then stamp on the anchors (down to sub 30) whenever a car comes the other way. I can only assume that their eyesight is so poor that the oncoming cars' headlights dazzle them. It doesn't seem to matter how good/bad the oncoming cars' lights are they just stamp on the brakes.

And

The number of 'modern' cars coming the other way with one headlight out. I recon it's about 1 every 5 minutes - perhaps 5 most nights on the 20 minute drive home. In 30 years of motoring I have never had a headlight bulb fail. WTF is wrong with modern bulbs?

Yep, with you on both of those.

Drivers are so used to "driving by numbers" that they have no ability to judge the correct speed to enter a corner.

.. and it seems a failed headlight bulb is now an excuse to drive on main beam until the next MOT when the nice man will change it for you. >:(
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 29 November 2016, 09:43:58 »

And

Delightful Freudian (unintentional?) slip. ;D ;D ;D

aaronjb

« Reply #30 on: 29 November 2016, 10:02:05 »

WTF is wrong with modern bulbsdrivers?

I don't think it's the bulbs.. it's the dipsticks behind the wheel..

ted_one

« Reply #31 on: 29 November 2016, 11:26:43 »

Seems to be a bit of theme of knocking older drivers on here and yes you do get the odd one here and there that does get in the way because of their failing abilities.But in general it's the younger drivers that are arrogant,impatient and drive far to fast to allow their own one brain cell to cope...statistics have and will continue to prove that! 
Also I'm out at 5am every day and sorry,but it ain't the oldies that are out there running reds because there's no one around to catch the offenders or the self proclaimed ''I'm a really good driver'' ragging it through the 30 limit at double that, and then add too that, poor lane discipline,poor planning,poor anticipation  and general lack of awareness and of course that general F**K YOU! attitude that prevails from a vast number of clueless younger drivers, who in turn blame everything on to everyone else... see it every day,so I say ''yeah whatever'' BUT how come younger drivers pay hundreds of pounds more than us 'mature drivers'.....could it be those statistics? mind you they are probably regarded as wrong by a certain group of drivers as well :-\ ::)
« Last Edit: 29 November 2016, 11:32:14 by nitro »

aaronjb

« Reply #32 on: 29 November 2016, 11:47:56 »

Ah, statistics. What is it they say about statistics?

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

A quote which, like statistics, appears to have been liberally interpreted for purposes to suit the author (Mark Twain, in this case) ;)

"73.6% of all statistics on the Internet are made up." - Albert Einstein.

There is shocking driving demonstrated daily on my commute by people of all ages, colours and, no doubt, religions.  Sometimes even by me, I'm sure.  It seems to be the one universal truth..

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 29 November 2016, 11:48:55 »

I'm an older driver I suppose, at 57. Most of the problem drivers I encounter these days are mostly female drivers, and to a lesser extent really elderly drivers.
I can be tolerant of the elderly drivers, as the world and its roads have changed drastically since they were ambling along country roads in the 50,s. Quite a few of the female drivers seem to fall into two categories though. The younger ones who buy into the laddish culture and carry this into their driving by trying to be more aggressive and thoughtless than they perceive male drivers to be.
These are now the 30 something school run mums, who scream the F and C words at me, (with their kids sat in the rear seats) when they get a blast of the horn, due to the fact they have just come very close to killing me, at a dangerous junction a couple of miles from where I live.
Then theres the middle aged respectable ladies who will not go anywhere near the posted speed limit, or have any curiosity about where the limits of their car might be.
They drive their Micra in exactly the same way as they drove their Datsun cherry.
As mentioned before, this would be fine, if only they kept an eye on their rear view mirror and used some consideration for the line of traffic which builds up behind them.
« Last Edit: 29 November 2016, 11:50:56 by Migv6 »

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 29 November 2016, 12:03:25 »

Ah, statistics. What is it they say about statistics?

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

A quote which, like statistics, appears to have been liberally interpreted for purposes to suit the author (Mark Twain, in this case) ;)

"73.6% of all statistics on the Internet are made up." - Albert Einstein.

There is shocking driving demonstrated daily on my commute by people of all ages, colours and, no doubt, religions.  Sometimes even by me, I'm sure.  It seems to be the one universal truth..

::) ::) :P

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 29 November 2016, 12:09:32 »

I'm an older driver I suppose, at 57. Most of the problem drivers I encounter these days are mostly female drivers, and to a lesser extent really elderly drivers.
I can be tolerant of the elderly drivers, as the world and its roads have changed drastically since they were ambling along country roads in the 50,s. Quite a few of the female drivers seem to fall into two categories though. The younger ones who buy into the laddish culture and carry this into their driving by trying to be more aggressive and thoughtless than they perceive male drivers to be.
These are now the 30 something school run mums, who scream the F and C words at me, (with their kids sat in the rear seats) when they get a blast of the horn, due to the fact they have just come very close to killing me, at a dangerous junction a couple of miles from where I live.
Then theres the middle aged respectable ladies who will not go anywhere near the posted speed limit, or have any curiosity about where the limits of their car might be.
They drive their Micra in exactly the same way as they drove their Datsun cherry.
As mentioned before, this would be fine, if only they kept an eye on their rear view mirror and used some consideration for the line of traffic which builds up behind them.

When I was growing up in the sixties if women had to drive it was always in a nice little 'runabout'

I can remember being picked up from school in a variety of very unassuming little cars such as 
a Hillman Imp and Austin A30. I don't recall the speedo needle wavering much past 30 MPH and to these women the car was merely a form of transport.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 29 November 2016, 13:50:46 »

I was always taught that the speed limit was a "LIMIT"  ..not a "TARGET" ... 

Definitely a target, it's actually a failure/points against in a driving test.  :y

They'd fail a retest by doing that but if they are happy to pull in to a layby every few minutes to let people pass then I'm cool with that.  ;D

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 29 November 2016, 14:13:44 »

This made me laugh apart from the danger. What a nutter. :o :o

http://spanishnewstoday.com/sparks-fly-as-girona-woman-drives-28-km-on-the-wrong-side-of-the-motorway-with-a-wheel-missing_82858-a.html?region=3#leftcol

Back on track  ::) , there doesn't appear to be much wheel left.  :o   From a safety point of view it must have been a safe journey as it doesn't mention anything about her speeding.  ::)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 29 November 2016, 18:37:32 »

Definitely a target, it's actually a failure/points against in a driving test.  :y

They'd fail a retest by doing that but if they are happy to pull in to a layby every few minutes to let people pass then I'm cool with that.  ;D

I am amazed to read that, so I assume you are saying that testees have to drive at the posted speed limit, or they will fail?  :-\ :-\ :-\

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 29 November 2016, 19:10:32 »

I am amazed to read that, so I assume you are saying that testees have to drive at the posted speed limit, or they will fail?  :-\ :-\ :-\

Close'ish to the speed limit if safe to do so.  :y
It's usually included as an accumulation of points with other minor errors but 'failing to make progress' is a failure on its own. A member of our family failed their first test for that very reason. It shows a lack of confidence and causes other drivers to adjust their speed, so it is deemed that they are not ready to be let loose amongst other drivers.  :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 29 November 2016, 19:22:35 »

Somewhat inaccurate and, possibly deliberate distortion of the truth ?? The requirement of the driving test, at least in all 4 that I've done over the years .. bike, car, HGV, PSV, is to "make progress given the road conditions" ... this means .. where feasible, to drive at the speed limit, it does not mean "maintain the speed limit regardless".

When taking my HGV test I deliberately did NOT accelerate to the speed limit when it changed from 30 to 40 as I knew the road then became a downhill section with a roundabout at the bottom, and it had started to rain. My reasoning was rain on a previously dry surface, downhill, having to brake in a vehicle weighing over 10 tonnes empty, made it a dangerous manoeuvre. I guess the instructor agreed as I passed the test.

When taking the "bus" test it was common NOT to reach the 50mph speed limit on one dual carriageway as there were bus-stops every few hundred yards and you never knew when the examiner would ring the bell.

Again, I passed, so it would appear to be the correct way of driving .... a LIMIT ..depending on conditions NOT a TARGET .. to be hit at all times  :)

All the posts above (not counting the "wrong lane" idiots - another story completely) simply assume the "slower" driver is useless .. perhaps they actually have a REASON for driving slowly, have they seen a dog/child/cyclist that you haven't ?? Have they "read the road" differently to you and don't wish to slam on the anchors at the upcoming hazard ?? Lots of very good reasons for not blindly driving at (or above) the speed limit that it would appear many drivers don't consider .. because.. after all, everyone is the best driver in the world .. aren't you ??    :)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 29 November 2016, 19:44:32 »

... it does not mean "maintain the speed limit regardless".

Alan never said that. His words were "Close'ish to the speed limit if safe to do so."

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 29 November 2016, 19:48:03 »

Somewhat inaccurate and, possibly deliberate distortion of the truth ?? The requirement of the driving test, at least in all 4 that I've done over the years .. bike, car, HGV, PSV, is to "make progress given the road conditions" ... this means .. where feasible, to drive at the speed limit, it does not mean "maintain the speed limit regardless".

When taking my HGV test I deliberately did NOT accelerate to the speed limit when it changed from 30 to 40 as I knew the road then became a downhill section with a roundabout at the bottom, and it had started to rain. My reasoning was rain on a previously dry surface, downhill, having to brake in a vehicle weighing over 10 tonnes empty, made it a dangerous manoeuvre. I guess the instructor agreed as I passed the test.

When taking the "bus" test it was common NOT to reach the 50mph speed limit on one dual carriageway as there were bus-stops every few hundred yards and you never knew when the examiner would ring the bell.

Again, I passed, so it would appear to be the correct way of driving .... a LIMIT ..depending on conditions NOT a TARGET .. to be hit at all times  :)

All the posts above (not counting the "wrong lane" idiots - another story completely) simply assume the "slower" driver is useless .. perhaps they actually have a REASON for driving slowly, have they seen a dog/child/cyclist that you haven't ?? Have they "read the road" differently to you and don't wish to slam on the anchors at the upcoming hazard ?? Lots of very good reasons for not blindly driving at (or above) the speed limit that it would appear many drivers don't consider .. because.. after all, everyone is the best driver in the world .. aren't you ??    :)

I did say where safe to do so when I answered Shackeng.  :y  I agree with what you are saying regarding the other bits but just for now can we assume that all is good visibility wise and traffic wise. Is 'failing to make progress' , where appropriate, during a test a failure ?  :)

... it does not mean "maintain the speed limit regardless".

Alan never said that. His words were "Close'ish to the speed limit if safe to do so."

Cheers Andy.  :y  I'm not sure if Nige had read my later reply.  :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 29 November 2016, 19:48:21 »

All the posts above  ... simply assume the "slower" driver is useless ..  ....

A fair assessment in most of the above.

Another time I overtook a V12 Merc doing barely 40 in a 60 in my diseasal Astra ... day light, dry etc & got flashed at for doing so   ??? ??? ??? Silly old bint!

STEMO

« Reply #44 on: 29 November 2016, 19:48:29 »

Give it up, Nigel. In my case, we're talking six miles of clear road without a dog or child in sight. It's very feasible to travel at the speed limit, but some are just not capable, due to the fact that they should have handed their licences in years ago.
I'm not say that all of these drivers are bad drivers, so it is unreasonable for you to try to excuse them all.

The only thing that's going to sort this out is a compulsory driving test at 70 and every three years after. Not a full test, but some kind of competency test. It won't, of course, happen, so me and my ilk will just have to keep on moaning until I, too, become a mobile roadblock.

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #45 on: 30 November 2016, 01:31:17 »

70 yrs old driver this afternoon locked up by yours truly blew 135 at roadside  :o :o ::) ::) just after 1pm  >:( >:( >:(

korum

• Derby
    • 2003 3.2 Irmscher MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 30 November 2016, 08:29:58 »

70 yrs old driver this afternoon locked up by yours truly blew 135 at roadside  :o :o ::) ::) just after 1pm  >:( >:( >:(

Wow what's that 4 times over he limit  :o did he have a hip flask on him and use the excuse he was keeping the cold at bay ::)

I have a regular argument with people who use the wrong lane due to traffic, an island near me has 2 lane entry with 4 possible exits its clearly signed stating left lane for first 2 exits and right lane for second 2 exits yet because of the traffic waiting in the right lane they take the left one and then proceed to take the 3rd exit >:(

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 30 November 2016, 08:32:16 »

Driving at the speed limit is scary :o
I like red cars

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 30 November 2016, 09:18:27 »

;D ;D  A bowl of custard helps settle the nerves.  :y

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 30 November 2016, 19:05:43 »

Don't tell fibs.....we all know you drive at a max speed of 40mph.....so seeing as some speed limits are 30mph or even 20mph....you must have driven at the speed limit on those roads  ;) ;D

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 01 December 2016, 08:10:17 »

Don't tell fibs.....we all know you drive at a max speed of 40mph.....so seeing as some speed limits are 30mph or even 20mph....you must have driven at the speed limit on those roads  ;) ;D

I dive everywhere at 15mph these days.
I like red cars

aaronjb

« Reply #51 on: 01 December 2016, 08:45:59 »

That sounds quite fast to me. What depth do you go down to?

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 01 December 2016, 08:56:24 »

That sounds quite fast to me. What depth do you go down to?

;D
I like red cars
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.