Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Denial of driving abilities 2  (Read 5852 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Denial of driving abilities 2
« Reply #15 on: 28 November 2016, 17:23:49 »

to be fair you sometimes find yourself on a road which you think should be a 40 but you are not sure so you stick at 30 ish til you see a sign. Especially when camera signs around.
But you can tell in 250yrds, and that's assuming poor eyesight, not 10 bloody miles!

;)
Grumpy old man

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 November 2016, 17:59:31 »

to be fair you sometimes find yourself on a road which you think should be a 40 but you are not sure so you stick at 30 ish til you see a sign. Especially when camera signs around.

If you`re coming onto a road there will be a commencement sign the size of a dustbin lid, if you just `find yourself` on a road then it sounds like you`re half asleep, smaller repeater signs are a regular intervals so there`s no excuse for driving 10mph below the speed limit.

I think 50% of drivers on the road have no idea of the speed limits on most roads, too often I am stuck behind someone doing 40 or 50 in a national speed limit and 50-60 on a dual carriageway with national speed limit, and then you get the nobheads doing 30 in a 40 limit and the the clowns at 6 in the morning doing 25  >:(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 November 2016, 18:11:21 »

If you`re coming onto a road there will be a commencement sign the size of a dustbin lid, if you just `find yourself` on a road then it sounds like you`re half asleep, smaller repeater signs are a regular intervals so there`s no excuse for driving 10mph below the speed limit.

I think 50% of drivers on the road have no idea of the speed limits on most roads, too often I am stuck behind someone doing 40 or 50 in a national speed limit and 50-60 on a dual carriageway with national speed limit, and then you get the nobheads doing 30 in a 40 limit and the the clowns at 6 in the morning doing 25  >:(
Mr Gav, you forgot the 'tards doing 45mph in a NSL, come to a 30mph village section, and still do 45mph  >:(

I'm sure these are the people who have never had an accident, but witnessed hundreds...
Grumpy old man

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 November 2016, 18:36:19 »

Mr Gav, you forgot the 'tards doing 45mph in a NSL, come to a 30mph village section, and still do 45mph  >:(

I'm sure these are the people who have never had an accident, but witnessed hundreds...

Bugger.....yeah I forgot those too, along with all those special needs people that do 50 in the outside lane of a NSL dual carriageway when the inside lane is empty  >:(

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 November 2016, 20:28:16 »

I was always taught that the speed limit was a "LIMIT"  ..not a "TARGET" ... there are many times, and places, where to be travelling at the speed limit is downright stupid and bloody dangerous.

If someone is of the opinion that the "safe" speed to be driving is 10 miles below the limit, THAT IS THEIR RIGHT, and no-one has any "duty" to drive at the speed "YOU" want to go at.

Whatever happened to patience and consideration of others ?? or are you all far more important then everyone else ???  :(

AFAIK there are no roads in the UK that have a statutory "minimum" speed, perhaps there should be, but that is a different matter.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28 November 2016, 20:53:42 »

I was always taught that the speed limit was a "LIMIT"  ..not a "TARGET"
Nah, its the target :)

AFAIK there are no roads in the UK that have a statutory "minimum" speed, perhaps there should be, but that is a different matter.
Aren't motorways still a (dangerously low) 30mph, or has that been abolished.
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 28 November 2016, 21:16:19 »

I have no problem with people who want to drive below the speed limit, as long as they are considerate and realise that people behind them may want to travel faster, and them and their vehicle may well be capable of doing so. They should pull over when safe to do so,and let people past.
Many of those who constantly drive at 40mph on nsl roads, strike me as having the attitude that its as fast as they feel safe driving at and automatically assume that the same applies to everyone else.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 28 November 2016, 21:16:46 »

I was always taught that the speed limit was a "LIMIT"  ..not a "TARGET" ... there are many times, and places, where to be travelling at the speed limit is downright stupid and bloody dangerous.

If someone is of the opinion that the "safe" speed to be driving is 10 miles below the limit, THAT IS THEIR RIGHT, and no-one has any "duty" to drive at the speed "YOU" want to go at.

Whatever happened to patience and consideration of others ?? or are you all far more important then everyone else ???  :(

but when weather & traffic etc are OK, then travelling at speeds sunstantially under the limit just causes tailbacks & frustration behind them. I was sat behind a silly bint yesterday, dual carraigeway, 30 limit & she was barely doing 25 in the right hand lane. If she felt that 25 was a good speed to be travelling at .... despite every other bugger going faster ... there was a left hand lane she could have been in. On a bus would have been better for all of us.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 28 November 2016, 23:20:42 »

When I was taught to drive you had to drive at the speed limit where traffic and conditions allowed to show that you were competent, and you got a mark against you on your test if you drove below the speed limit if conditions allowed and my girlfriend past her test around nine years ago and it was exactly the same for her.
I went past a guy last week who was doing 40 in the outside lane of a NSL dual carriageway, the inside lane was clear, weather conditions were good yet he looked terrified, I think he should have been on a bus as driving clearly wasn`t for him. If he had been displaying `P` plates then you can cut him a bit of slack but all he was doing was winding everybody up cos he should have done the right thing and pulled over but no, he just sat in the outside lane oblivious to what he was causing.
A lot of my journey is dual carriageway with a fair chunk of it being NSL and there are so many people hogging the outside lane driving below the speed limit yet refusing to pull over to let people past.
We should drive on the left unless overtaking.

Tyne tunnel is one I believe and there is a road sign for the minimum speed limit  :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 28 November 2016, 23:42:21 »

When I was taught to drive you had to drive at the speed limit where traffic and conditions allowed to show that you were competent,  ....

'making progress' is the phrase you're looking for  :y :y

I can't remember now what I was taught .....  ::)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 28 November 2016, 23:45:27 »

I wasn't taught. Never took a driving lesson in my life.  ;D

Passed my test at the first attempt though.  :)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 29 November 2016, 00:03:12 »

Whilst we're having rants....

I have to drive home about 10 miles on a moderately twitsy unlit 50/NSL single carriageway A road. The straight bits are easily 60, and all bar one of the bends are 60 in most weather. What gets my goat this time of year (when it's dark coming home) are people who barrel along at 50 on the straights, and then stamp on the anchors (down to sub 30) whenever a car comes the other way. I can only assume that their eyesight is so poor that the oncoming cars' headlights dazzle them. It doesn't seem to matter how good/bad the oncoming cars' lights are they just stamp on the brakes.

And

The number of 'modern' cars coming the other way with one headlight out. I recon it's about 1 every 5 minutes - perhaps 5 most nights on the 20 minute drive home. In 30 years of motoring I have never had a headlight bulb fail. WTF is wrong with modern bulbs?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 29 November 2016, 00:13:20 »

..... In 30 years of motoring I have never had a headlight bulb fail. WTF is wrong with modern bulbs?

I sold my T reg Omega a few years back now still complete with its original HID 'bulbs', but I changed a dipped on my Merc just the other week and it's opposite lamp last year. The Smart Roadster has gone through a number of them over the past 7(?) years, but it seem they all do  :-\

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 29 November 2016, 09:29:57 »

I have to drive home about 10 miles on a moderately twitsy unlit 50/NSL single carriageway A road. The straight bits are easily 60, and all bar one of the bends are 60 in most weather. What gets my goat this time of year (when it's dark coming home) are people who barrel along at 50 on the straights, and then stamp on the anchors (down to sub 30) whenever a car comes the other way. I can only assume that their eyesight is so poor that the oncoming cars' headlights dazzle them. It doesn't seem to matter how good/bad the oncoming cars' lights are they just stamp on the brakes.

And

The number of 'modern' cars coming the other way with one headlight out. I recon it's about 1 every 5 minutes - perhaps 5 most nights on the 20 minute drive home. In 30 years of motoring I have never had a headlight bulb fail. WTF is wrong with modern bulbs?

Yep, with you on both of those.

Drivers are so used to "driving by numbers" that they have no ability to judge the correct speed to enter a corner.

.. and it seems a failed headlight bulb is now an excuse to drive on main beam until the next MOT when the nice man will change it for you. >:(
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 29 November 2016, 09:43:58 »

And

Delightful Freudian (unintentional?) slip. ;D ;D ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 17 queries.