Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jasonm......car headlight intensity.  (Read 6570 times)

STEMO

Jasonm......car headlight intensity.
« on: 27 November 2016, 15:34:31 »

Jason....is there some kind of legal limit for just how bright headlights can be?
Some tit in a 57 golf was behind me last night and I had to move my rear view mirror because his lights were so bright...almost pure white. We were driving in a 40 limit and I was so annoyed with the tw*t that I slowed to 25 to deliberately hold him up. He got past me and came up behind a BMW, who did exactly the same as me, until he was overtaken as well.
You'd think that this moron would realise that he's gonna get nowhere fast as people keep slowing right down till he's past.
We both caught him up at the next set of lights about two miles down the road, about three cars in front of us, so I guess he'd made slow progress by having to overtake others after us.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Jasonm......car headlight intensity.
« Reply #1 on: 27 November 2016, 15:55:29 »

Was it pure brightness, or had the 'tard adjusted the aim?
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #2 on: 27 November 2016, 15:59:03 »

It was just pure, white light, there was no 'beam', just a floodlight effect in front of the car.

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #3 on: 27 November 2016, 16:02:22 »

STEMO

« Reply #4 on: 27 November 2016, 16:06:40 »

http://greyhead.co.uk/are-aftermarket-hid-lights-legal-in-the-uk#h.qkmw8m50o3gc

Gives a comprehensive write up.
A comprehensive load of bollicks, then. It's not illegal to dazzle someone because we have no way of stopping them doing it.

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #5 on: 27 November 2016, 16:10:13 »

You ain't read the whole article, if the Golf had 'aftermarket' lights fitted then

Therefore a HID headlamp unit sold in the aftermarket should:

be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component;
when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place); and
comply with RVLR as far as "use" is concerned.

Most sold from the bayofE are not and it is illegal to sell / fit them.

STEMO

« Reply #6 on: 27 November 2016, 16:13:46 »

You ain't read the whole article, if the Golf had 'aftermarket' lights fitted then

Therefore a HID headlamp unit sold in the aftermarket should:

be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component;
when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place); and
comply with RVLR as far as "use" is concerned.

Most sold from the bayofE are not and it is illegal to sell / fit them.
Although no government inspection will take place........so........what? Illegal but nothing to be done?

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #7 on: 27 November 2016, 16:19:58 »

Well you asked the question, I just merely gave the answer. Not my fault the DFT makes these rules, it should be part of the MOT test but they ain't allowed to pull cars to pieces to look for the 'E' mark.

Same with any part of a car, if it don't have the 'E' mark or equivalent it shouldn't be sold / put on a vehicle, but there's millions of bits out there that are.
« Last Edit: 27 November 2016, 16:22:29 by Jasonm »

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 November 2016, 16:26:17 »

It was just pure, white light, there was no 'beam', just a floodlight effect in front of the car.

Sounds like a low flying UFO to me. Do you have any strange marks on your body left by the alien probe ?

STEMO

« Reply #9 on: 27 November 2016, 16:34:11 »

Sounds like a low flying UFO to me. Do you have any strange marks on your body left by the alien probe ?
Bit of a sore bottie.....but that wasn't an alien.

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 November 2016, 17:26:52 »

http://greyhead.co.uk/are-aftermarket-hid-lights-legal-in-the-uk#h.qkmw8m50o3gc

Gives a comprehensive write up.

Problem is its not just after market - a lot of new premium brand cars seem to have stupidly bright lights with a very very hard edge which produces a flashing effect over bumps. I personally think the law has been completely left behind by changing lighting technology.
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 November 2016, 17:55:03 »

Cars can sit behind me on full beam for all I care as the mirrors just get darker. What is annoying is modern headlights, my own included, are overly bright coming towards you. From behind the wheel the German has superb headlights but I sympathise with drivers coming towards me as they are very intense.
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 November 2016, 10:21:15 »

Must admit ive been considering one of the supposedly better hid kits as getting fed up changing bulbs every 12 months i like the 'better' ones as my commute is pitch black country lanes...

something like http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/H7-HIDS4U-Stealth-35W-Xenon-HID-Conversion-Kit.html which appear legal enough and E marked.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 November 2016, 10:31:33 »

Modern HID lights need a very good, reliably levelling system to keep the cutoff level below your eyes and mirrors. VAG can't make a very good, reliable system of any description. ::)

Even then, if fitted to a "drug dealer" Chelsea tractor, the cutoff will be too high if you're driving something more sporting.

It's daft, really, because dipped beam only really needs to light the road immediately in front of you. I have no idea why the trend to make them ever brighter. :-\
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #14 on: 29 November 2016, 10:10:46 »

All cars should be fitted with these:

(Anyone of a certain age should remember how far you weren't able to see with them.. ;D)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 29 November 2016, 10:19:47 »

Ahhh! The Prince of Darkness. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #16 on: 29 November 2016, 10:29:35 »

And one of these, too, just to really confuse people:

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29 November 2016, 11:48:21 »

(Anyone of a certain age should remember how far you weren't able to see with them.. ;D)

The Signum has very poor lights. The XFR has HID's which are much improved but nothing like as good as the HID's on my 2003 MV6.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29 November 2016, 13:13:03 »

7" sealed beams. They're crap, but easily replaced with a 7" H4 lamp. Which do work.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29 November 2016, 13:32:47 »

And one of these, too, just to really confuse people:

That takes me back. After a few days of driving around in my mates MGB with foot operated full beam, I got back in to my Cortina, and when I went to put full beam on in that I squirted the windscreen with water.   ::)
AAh, those were the days.  :)
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29 November 2016, 13:53:57 »

... I got back in to my Cortina, and when I went to put full beam on in that I squirted the windscreen with water.   ::) ...

My Cortina had one them too ... till I changed it for an electric one  ;)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 29 November 2016, 15:26:42 »

That footswitch looked for the moment like the starter switch that my old 1938 Morris 12 had - now THAT really confused people!

Ron.

ted_one

« Reply #22 on: 29 November 2016, 16:53:17 »

We used to have those on the ambulances for the air horns,no doubt Tilbo will remember these as well :)

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 29 November 2016, 17:05:07 »

Modern HID lights need a very good, reliably levelling system to keep the cutoff level below your eyes and mirrors. VAG can't make a very good, reliable system of any description. ::)

They can! The "run lean on an emissions test" system worked flawlessly!  ;)
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 29 November 2016, 20:51:17 »

Had an old Austin A50 with a foot dip switch, and a column gear change. :D

STEMO

« Reply #25 on: 29 November 2016, 21:09:58 »

Land rovers in the 70's had them. Probably other decades too, but I wasn't in the army in other decades.  ;D

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 30 November 2016, 07:41:01 »

What the headlamp "flashi g" appears to be to me is any car fitted with projector style headlamps. Even our own beloved migs cause this to other road users when they have this style headlight unit fitted. As for the HID kits fitred to vehicles that are not designed for them...........don't get me started. Along with the retards running with front fogs on al the time cos motoring jouno,s alwaya picture a car with hem turned on as "its cool init". Then there is the lazy bastids who can't be bothered to check their lights an run for months with one or more not working and if they do fit a new lamp, it is fitted so poorly it just dazzles every one in front of them
Rant over, for now

Keith, ABS

ted_one

« Reply #27 on: 30 November 2016, 08:32:16 »

Agree with you Keith, the MOT testers at my boy's place are now starting to get a bit more picky about after market and blue tinted so called Xenon bulbs and bodged upgrades.I showed them some blue tinted bulbs that at the time I thought were a good idea to stick in my Omega,and I was told quite clearly that if I did fit them they would fail the car. But you can see that quite a few ermm younger drivers have done lighting mods to their shitesheds and they seem to get away with it. As to the one headlight club,I can't understand why our local cops can't give them a quick two minute 'tug' and give these lazy t wats a bit of get it fixed asap advice.I'm always out and about really early and I see the same cars and vans every day and I always give a quick flash to give them the heads up, been going on for weeks and nothing! so it's obviously a can't be arsed situation and as usual that f**k you attitude prevails. >:(

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 30 November 2016, 08:36:54 »

May I add to your list, Keith?
Those stupid and/or lazy morons who don't know how to switch off those dazzling rear fog lights long after the fog has cleared.

Ron.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 30 November 2016, 08:46:24 »

Those stupid and/or lazy morons who don't know how to switch off those dazzling rear fog lights long after the fog has cleared.

Ron.

Plus the morons who feel the need to turn on fog lights at the first sign of drizzle.
They're the same ones who don't turn them off when there is a car behind them.

I've averaged 30,000 miles for 28years, and could count on my fingers the number of times I have needed fog lights. All cars should have another high intensity fog light mounted directly in the drivers sight line to ensure that the things are only used when absolutely necessary.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 30 November 2016, 11:56:45 »

Ron.

Plus the morons who feel the need to turn on fog lights at the first sign of drizzle.

I've averaged 30,000 miles for 28years, and could count on my fingers the number of times I have needed fog lights. All cars should have another high intensity fog light mounted directly in the drivers sight line to ensure that the things are only used when absolutely necessary.

Totally agree with you there Nick, way too many people putting fog lights on at the first sign of mist or drizzle and then leave them on for days. Gone are the days when you used to flash someone and they would be looking around and finally work out what was wrong and turn them off, nowadays they`re totally oblivious and just don`t care.

I was sat behind a woman the other day in heavy traffic for about twenty minutes and she had her wipers on fast wipe, and it hadn`t rained for hours, if you don`t realise your wipers are on and it isn`t raining what chance have you got that they realise the fog light is on or a bulb is out?

I think TB is onto something with his mas cull  :y

STEMO

« Reply #31 on: 30 November 2016, 12:45:29 »

If I were diagnosed with a terminal illness, but could still drive my car, I would have endless fun picking the bastard who I was going to take with me.  :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 30 November 2016, 13:53:27 »

Ron.

Totally agree with you there Nick, way too many people putting fog lights on at the first sign of mist or drizzle and then leave them on for days. Gone are the days when you used to flash someone and they would be looking around and finally work out what was wrong and turn them off, nowadays they`re totally oblivious and just don`t care.

I was sat behind a woman the other day in heavy traffic for about twenty minutes and she had her wipers on fast wipe, and it hadn`t rained for hours, if you don`t realise your wipers are on and it isn`t raining what chance have you got that they realise the fog light is on or a bulb is out?

I think TB is onto something with his mas cull :y

But this would mean a 90% reduction in OOF members. :'( ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 30 November 2016, 13:54:40 »

If I were diagnosed with a terminal illness, but could still drive my car, I would have endless fun picking the bastard who I was going to take with me.  :)

Remind me never to visit the delightful cosmopolitan town of  Barnsleywakefield. :)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 30 November 2016, 18:02:13 »

I think TB is onto something with his mas cull :y

But this would mean a 90% reduction in OOF members. :'( ;D

Nice knowing you M'lud!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 30 November 2016, 19:01:13 »

Ron.

I think TB is onto something with his mas cull  :y

Impossible to do with my car.....and probably a lot of other manu's doing the same with their newer cars.....

I press a button for the front or rear fogs.....restart the car.....I have to do the same  :y

aaronjb

« Reply #36 on: 01 December 2016, 08:50:30 »

Impossible to do with my car.....and probably a lot of other manu's doing the same with their newer cars.....

I press a button for the front or rear fogs.....restart the car.....I have to do the same  :y

Not probably, definitely, otherwise they won't pass Type Approval anymore.  Presumably now mandatory because we can no longer be trusted to turn our own lights off as well as on (as proven, sadly, by all the muppets on the road driving around with their rear fogs on  >:()

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 01 December 2016, 20:39:03 »

Or others, who drive around in near darkness without lights.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 01 December 2016, 21:20:35 »

There's no cure for stupidity...

Well technically there's one, but TB isn't in charge :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 02 December 2016, 12:01:09 »

Never understood that action. Saw some the other night outside Poole. Surely when these people put the keys in and start up, they must realise they cannot see the panel !!!!!! I am not talking highly lit roads either........I and others have flashed these drivers, but they continue regardless. And, without being sexist, most I have seen are female. I wonder if its the fact they use the car in daylight conditions, so do not know where the controls are !!!
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 02 December 2016, 12:03:52 »

I notice that there are some right idiots who consider the day time running lights to be Ok for night driving also......they clear have no idea that DRLs do not turn the rear light on!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 02 December 2016, 12:46:22 »

I notice that there are some right idiots who consider the day time running lights to be Ok for night driving also......they clear have no idea that DRLs do not turn the rear light on!
Law of unintended consequences... Lazy design putting drls and instrument lighting on the same circuit whilst making drls as bright as shit headlights ::)

aaronjb

« Reply #42 on: 02 December 2016, 13:44:16 »

Never understood that action. Saw some the other night outside Poole. Surely when these people put the keys in and start up, they must realise they cannot see the panel !!!!!! I am not talking highly lit roads either........I and others have flashed these drivers, but they continue regardless. And, without being sexist, most I have seen are female. I wonder if its the fact they use the car in daylight conditions, so do not know where the controls are !!!

For anything made in the last few years they will almost certainly be able to see the instruments just fine .. because they're always illuminated.

For anything old.. well, they're just idiots and there's no helping those people :y ;D

STEMO

« Reply #43 on: 02 December 2016, 13:54:06 »

It's just the audio controls and window switches that don't light up on mine.

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 02 December 2016, 14:29:04 »

The really bright DRL's are what boils my piss, especially those Citroen's/DS3's or whatever they want to call them .... the ones with the really bright DRL's in a very bright line on each side of the front bumper...

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://images.cdn.autocar.co.uk/sites/autocar.co.uk/files/styles/gallery_slide/public/images/car-reviews/first-drives/legacy/citroen-as-ds3-a-0751.jpg%3Fitok%3DJPDHc1-U&imgrefurl=http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2016-ds-3-prices-and-specification-revealed&h=596&w=900&tbnid=IPS9Ts3-BEdVAM:&vet=1&tbnh=132&tbnw=200&docid=Z4teFr36ElCXNM&itg=1&usg=___aLZ-Gl4UmQDBHLPN7uoI16n5Vo=&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiVr_Oo3NXQAhWEHsAKHVSjCYoQ_B0InAEwCg&ei=W4VBWNWVFIS9gAbUxqbQCA

The bright lights never bothered me until I started to drive my Classic Mini, and now every ruddy headlight blinds me...

The folk who don't have their lights on at night (because of DRL's) should get pulled and issued with a fixed penalty/fine for driving without due care and attention....
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

STEMO

« Reply #45 on: 02 December 2016, 15:11:17 »

The really bright DRL's are what boils my piss, especially those Citroen's/DS3's or whatever they want to call them .... the ones with the really bright DRL's in a very bright line on each side of the front bumper...

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://images.cdn.autocar.co.uk/sites/autocar.co.uk/files/styles/gallery_slide/public/images/car-reviews/first-drives/legacy/citroen-as-ds3-a-0751.jpg%3Fitok%3DJPDHc1-U&imgrefurl=http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2016-ds-3-prices-and-specification-revealed&h=596&w=900&tbnid=IPS9Ts3-BEdVAM:&vet=1&tbnh=132&tbnw=200&docid=Z4teFr36ElCXNM&itg=1&usg=___aLZ-Gl4UmQDBHLPN7uoI16n5Vo=&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiVr_Oo3NXQAhWEHsAKHVSjCYoQ_B0InAEwCg&ei=W4VBWNWVFIS9gAbUxqbQCA

The bright lights never bothered me until I started to drive my Classic Mini, and now every ruddy headlight blinds me...

The folk who don't have their lights on at night (because of DRL's) should get pulled and issued with a fixed penalty/fine for driving without due care and attention....
By whom....?  ::)

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 02 December 2016, 20:59:55 »

By whom...? what...?

Get pulled....? By the Police...?
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

ted_one

« Reply #47 on: 02 December 2016, 21:17:42 »

That won't be happening around here any time soon,no traffic cops here....correction,no cops here at all ::)

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 02 December 2016, 21:50:44 »

My grandson has a DS3 Shitreon and he followed me home the other night. His lights were blinding in my mirrors.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 02 December 2016, 21:51:52 »

That won't be happening around here any time soon,no traffic cops here....correction,no cops here at all ::)
In 1700 miles this week, I have seen one traffic unit...

An unmarked 3 series guarding a broken down prison transfer van at the top of the M6 toll  :-X

Jason is but one individual within an everdiminishing pool of people :-\

ted_one

« Reply #50 on: 02 December 2016, 22:50:35 »

It's certainly adding to that feeling of lawlessness on the roads,I look at what's going on and in all honesty I keep getting a feeling of jacking in driving all together. :-\

STEMO

« Reply #51 on: 02 December 2016, 23:12:03 »

By whom...? what...?

Get pulled....? By the Police...?
Get real.

aaronjb

« Reply #52 on: 03 December 2016, 12:59:40 »

In 1700 miles this week, I have seen one traffic unit...

An unmarked 3 series guarding a broken down prison transfer van at the top of the M6 toll  :-X

Jason is but one individual within an everdiminishing pool of people :-\

I saw 8 unmarked cars going round the M25 the other week, all with blues on, all in convoy..

I assumed that was all the cars in the south east going somewhere!

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 03 December 2016, 16:01:09 »

Must admit never given much thought to the drl's,so was intrigued by Marks DTM Calib's post that they don't light the rear lights.Checked on my V70 today and the rear lights do in fact light up on that with just drl's on.The only thing not lit are the instruments/gauges,heater controls and radio.But then on the V70 the drl's are not super bright/dazzly things like they are these days!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 03 December 2016, 16:08:40 »

Must admit never given much thought to the drl's,so was intrigued by Marks DTM Calib's post that they don't light the rear lights.Checked on my V70 today and the rear lights do in fact light up on that with just drl's on.The only thing not lit are the instruments/gauges,heater controls and radio.But then on the V70 the drl's are not super bright/dazzly things like they are these days!
That's because it's a Volvo and they have always taken a measured approach to such things ;)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 18 queries.