Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rover Streetwise suddenly dead  (Read 1283 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
Rover Streetwise suddenly dead
« on: 27 November 2016, 16:33:40 »

Son Ben rings me, out in the Rover buying a chair, thinks he locked his car with the fob, came out of house with chair, opened tailgate, alarm goes off, which he cancels with the fob. Then car would not start. He locks it again with the fob, unlocks it with the fob, engine still dead. He rings me for assistance.
 I attend with tow rope. I suggest we try a tow jump start. Engine starts. He follows me home. I put the car in my garage, then turn off the engine. I try a restart. No joy. I put on headlights, turn key to start, lights do not dim.

Dead starter? Dead starter relay? Fuse?

Please advise.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Rover Streetwise suddenly dead
« Reply #1 on: 27 November 2016, 16:36:02 »

Yes, along those lines, starter or its solenoid. Cant remember if they are in the same unit on those, suspect so.
Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 November 2016, 16:53:52 »

The starter switching terminal and connector are a common problem. Clean the terminal on the starter, and fit a new connector to the wire.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 November 2016, 17:39:15 »

If Nick W's suggestion doesn't help, might be work a meter on the contact, just to prove all the ignition and wiring etc is all OK before spending cash on a starter :y
Grumpy old man

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 November 2016, 17:41:39 »

Son Ben rings me, out in the Rover buying a chair, thinks he locked his car with the fob, came out of house with chair, opened tailgate, alarm goes off, which he cancels with the fob. Then car would not start. He locks it again with the fob, unlocks it with the fob, engine still dead. He rings me for assistance.
 I attend with tow rope. I suggest we try a tow jump start. Engine starts. He follows me home. I put the car in my garage, then turn off the engine. I try a restart. No joy. I put on headlights, turn key to start, lights do not dim.

Please advise.

Tell him to buy an Omega, we can help with the multiple faults on those ::) ::) ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 November 2016, 17:47:15 »

Tell him to buy an Omega, we can help with the multiple faults on those ::) ::) ::)
But we're still better placed to answer 25 questions than the MG Rover enthusiast forum.  Useful questions remain unanswered, as everyone is only interested in stereos, chopped springs and spoilers.

Chavtastic.
Grumpy old man

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 November 2016, 08:55:02 »

Please advise.

Ben's car is an Omega, the Rover is his wife's car that had HG failure 2 years ago. My 6 Omegas are all running well, I spend all my time now mending sister's Meriva and daaghter-in-law's Rover Streetwise.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 November 2016, 20:54:46 »

Checked solenoid Lucar connector and 12v lead, both OK, checked 12v on Lucar connector with key turned, OK, so decided needed new starter. Ordered used starter on e-bay, £20, arrived today. Fitted it, then realised that engine earth lead is attached to starter upper bolt, or should be. Only the terminal was attached, lead was hanging down going nowhere. I then replaced original starter and soldered lead back on to terminal. Tested, car started.

Thanks to all for help. NICK W's advice should have had me more alert for a dodgy conection.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 December 2016, 08:53:23 »

Interesting footnote to this job; went to hand car back to son Ben, only to find it idled roughly and was inclined to stall. I looked around for loose wires - found none - could not find an air flow meter, does nort seem to have one, suppose it relies on its throttle position sensor, then discovered a loose hose clip on the big fat hose between air cleaner and throttle. It was not a proper hose clipe, it was a plastic push in affair somewhat like a cable tie. I pushed it tighter with finger and thumb, and fault disappeared.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.