Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Any Omega owners here own or have owned an E-Class?  (Read 5435 times)

2boxerdogs

Re: Any Omega owners here own or have owned an E-Class?
« Reply #15 on: 29 November 2016, 20:27:03 »

I have had a 1993 190e which was excellent bought the E430 last year to replace the Omega, the Merc is a 2000 & is totally rust free & has now only covered 34,000 miles I have every receipt for services ( all MB ) and seem very reasonable. I have just had the oil & filter changed again by MB  Mobil 1 fully synthetic which is recommended for the V8 models. I think if you can get a good one they are excellent do not be put of by cost of parts MB are very reasonable & give discounts for older models.The model you have is considered to be one of the best in MB circles.My V8 returns between 23-30 mpg.
« Last Edit: 29 November 2016, 20:33:18 by Tilbo »

2boxerdogs

« Reply #16 on: 29 November 2016, 20:55:27 »

Just re read this post it's fully loaded with all the toys then! Don't be put off by this enjoy it , mine has every option bar sunroof & all work fine + you feel you are driving something very special mine was just under £56,000 when new so the good older Mercs are a real bargain now. Take a look at MTSV website to get an idea of the marque that's where I bought my E430 from.
« Last Edit: 29 November 2016, 20:59:23 by Tilbo »

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29 November 2016, 21:46:12 »

Mercs from that era are great cars indeed. Regular basic servicing and keep an eye out for tinworm, and it will outlast you.
My 190D is almost 27 years old, has done 227000 miles and still drives great, although I did have to chop some serious rust out of it yesterday.
And yes, Merc prices aren't as exhorbitant as urban myth often suggests.  ;)

I thought they were very good against rust? Certainly way better than the Mercedes after them and also the Omega?

I think the whole shell is fully galvanized, no?

They aren't particularily bad for rust, but a car of that age will rust over time. 190,s have known rust spots (jacking points mainly) just like most other cars, but most other cars don't make it to 26 years old.
Havent heard of galvanised Merc shells. My 1990 Merc certainly doesn't seem to have one.
Later Mercs approx. 98 - 03 were appalling for rust. Five year old examples could easily have chassis legs barely attached to the car.
In my experience, older Mercs don't suffer badly with electrical troubles, but its best to check carefully with any old car.
Personally, I wouldn't be worried about buying one with plenty of toys. If things go wrong there are always plenty of cheap second hand spares available.

Today's Mercedes probably are galvanized. If Vauxhalls from the early 2000s are new Mercedes have to be. :)

But what I read is that the W124, which is the generation of this 300 E, were the best Mercedes for resisting rust. Better than the ones which came before and also after.

Yes I also read the 98 and later models are very bad with rust. But I read that the problem goes till 2006 or 2007.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29 November 2016, 21:58:08 »

Something else that just came to mind. Being newer, are the Omega MFL or FL better when it comes to safety, both active and passive than the 300 E? The 300 E I have here has driver's and passenger's airbags. But I don't think side airbags for example. Although I know it did very well in crash tests.

I would imagine the fact that its built like a tank would help in an accident.  ;)

Yes. :)

But I think that would help more in case of a roll over and the like. I couldn't find much info on how it is regarding crumble zones etc. Although according to wikipedia these cars body was designed to withstand an offset-crash in a concrete barrier at some 35mph without serious harm to the occupants and a largely undamaged passenger cabin from both front and rear. A windshield that stays in place and doors easily opened without special recovery tools. Pedals that were moved inversely in a frontal impact (away from the drivers feet and in the direction of the bulkhead separating the cabin from the engine) and door arm rests with deformable elements designed to reduce abdominal injury risk resulting from a side impact.

But anyway, so far it seems that at least compared to the Omega it's probably as safe or more. Even being older it has everything the Omega has but side airbags. It even has traction control. Although the car I have here doesn't seem to have it, which makes me a bit unhappy. As much as we car guys like to think of ourselves as good drivers, I would feel better to have traction control in a RWD car that I intend to have my child in.

The 300 E also have a limited slip differential which most Omegas don't. Although FL Omegas have ESP and this vintage of Mercedes never had.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29 November 2016, 22:02:17 »

All the toys is nice, it's simply that there's then more to fix...

That said, the toys make the interior a very comfortable place to be, especially the electric seats  8)

Yes they do make it much nicer them toys.  :)

But do you really use electric seats that much? If you share the car with your espouse I guess it may be useful for the memory setting. But I always saw electric seats like electric mirrors. You set it once and basically never again or very rarely.

But I'm not afraid of the toys. Like Migv6 said, if things go wrong there are always plenty of cheap second hand spares available.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29 November 2016, 22:06:39 »

I have had a 1993 190e which was excellent bought the E430 last year to replace the Omega, the Merc is a 2000 & is totally rust free & has now only covered 34,000 miles I have every receipt for services ( all MB ) and seem very reasonable. I have just had the oil & filter changed again by MB  Mobil 1 fully synthetic which is recommended for the V8 models. I think if you can get a good one they are excellent do not be put of by cost of parts MB are very reasonable & give discounts for older models.The model you have is considered to be one of the best in MB circles.My V8 returns between 23-30 mpg.

Yes this model really seem to have the best reputation of any Mercedes. But just to avoid confusion, it's not mine. At least not yet. I'm test driving it and thinking of buying it. ;)

That's nice Mercedes gives discounts for older models. Do I need to register for something to get the discounts? Is it available when buying online or only at dealers? Would you know if this is limited to the UK? I would think not. But worth asking.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 29 November 2016, 22:13:40 »

I like fully electric seats as they allow precise adjustment rather than 10-20mm increments they therefore tend to be far more comfortable.  ;)

Memory is a convenient addition, but not essential unless the car is regularly driven by several people...

That model might have traction control, be a rocker switch on the same level as the heated rear window switch if fitted, might be marked as a snow chain switch  :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 29 November 2016, 22:14:02 »

Just re read this post it's fully loaded with all the toys then! Don't be put off by this enjoy it , mine has every option bar sunroof & all work fine + you feel you are driving something very special mine was just under £56,000 when new so the good older Mercs are a real bargain now. Take a look at MTSV website to get an idea of the marque that's where I bought my E430 from.

Yes indeed. This is how it feels like. Like you are driving something very special.

Is yours an auto or manual? This one is a 5 speed manual and I have to say it's a delight. Shifts really well. I had heard that Mercedes manual transmissions were not that pleasing. But this one definitely is. It's nice to have it with the 217bhp the engine gives. It feels quite lively. Probably because the car is so light. I was very surprised to see the weight listed at 3,064 lb. The Omega is 3,373 lb!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 29 November 2016, 22:17:28 »

It sounds like your perfect car as you'll never find an Omega to the same spec, especially in manual form... Which, incidentally, is a very rare NCO on the W124 8)

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 29 November 2016, 22:28:20 »

I like fully electric seats as they allow precise adjustment rather than 10-20mm increments they therefore tend to be far more comfortable.  ;)

Memory is a convenient addition, but not essential unless the car is regularly driven by several people...

That model might have traction control, be a rocker switch on the same level as the heated rear window switch if fitted, might be marked as a snow chain switch  :y

Thanks for the tip. I'm packed in for the night and don't want to go down to the garage today anymore. But I will look for the switch tomorrow. Don't remember seeing it.

But reading online about the TC is quite confusing. It seems it was an option and a very expensive one at that. Then they made it standard, then made it an option again. And they had different types of traction control available. I'm probably making too much of traction control. But I remember not thinking much of ESP and that I don't really need it, till I saw a test in Fifth Gear showing the results with and without it. Then I started to become nervous about not having it, till I finally calmed down again. I guess you change once you have a child. :)

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 29 November 2016, 22:31:50 »

It sounds like your perfect car as you'll never find an Omega to the same spec, especially in manual form... Which, incidentally, is a very rare NCO on the W124 8)

Is it? I didn't know the manual was also rare on the W124. I thought they were standard with the auto being the option, unless in the AMGs and 4Matics. Well, all the better then. I really like the shifter.  :)

2boxerdogs

« Reply #26 on: 29 November 2016, 23:55:32 »

Yes indeed. This is how it feels like. Like you are driving something very special.

Is yours an auto or manual? This one is a 5 speed manual and I have to say it's a delight. Shifts really well. I had heard that Mercedes manual transmissions were not that pleasing. But this one definitely is. It's nice to have it with the 217bhp the engine gives. It feels quite lively. Probably because the car is so light. I was very surprised to see the weight listed at 3,064 lb. The Omega is 3,373 lb!

Mine is an auto with tiptronic which I don't bother with just put it in D and go, my 190e was a manual I have to admit I do prefer auto. The discount was given automatically by my local dealership in Boston Lincolnshire, they really like to see older models & are very helpful, I am a member of MB owners club definitely worth joining for the £30 or so per year , monthly mag & great help & articles.
I believe the discount is worldwide not sure about online, once when they did not have an item in stock they delivered it to my home FOC excellent service !
« Last Edit: 30 November 2016, 00:01:04 by Tilbo »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 30 November 2016, 09:20:18 »

Different box entirely in the w210

anV6 would have had a four, or possibly five speed auto with standard and economy mode. On the 300E and 300Dt the four speed auto was standard, the manual a very rare no cost option, and the five speed auto was a cost option.

The confusion over the TC is in part because the switch isn't marked as such. Basically it is fitted with a form of TC that, like the Omega, is run via the Abs ecu. It isn't designed to be turnoffandonable, but the system plays havoc with tyrechains if used. So Mercedes, in their infinite wisdom fitted the car with a snowchain switch, which is the same as an off switch only they cannot call it that for fear of misuse ::)

Making TC optional or not is purely down to development... If it's an option people might not order it, but if they do, then you keep it a cost option, and if they don't order it, you want a while and give it away making yourself look good...

It may not have been an option on the manual cars though as you have a clutch to control torque ;) wouldn't worry if it's not fitted though :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 30 November 2016, 12:06:58 »

So Mercedes, in their infinite wisdom  ...

I've yet to experience that .....  ???

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 30 November 2016, 15:01:07 »

So Mercedes, in their infinite wisdom  ...

I've yet to experience that .....  ???
That's because you bought one made by stupid Americans for stupid Americans ::)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.