Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Any Omega owners here own or have owned an E-Class?  (Read 5428 times)

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
Re: Any Omega owners here own or have owned an E-Class?
« Reply #30 on: 30 November 2016, 15:27:29 »

Just re read this post it's fully loaded with all the toys then! Don't be put off by this enjoy it , mine has every option bar sunroof & all work fine + you feel you are driving something very special mine was just under £56,000 when new so the good older Mercs are a real bargain now. Take a look at MTSV website to get an idea of the marque that's where I bought my E430 from.

Yes indeed. This is how it feels like. Like you are driving something very special.

Is yours an auto or manual? This one is a 5 speed manual and I have to say it's a delight. Shifts really well. I had heard that Mercedes manual transmissions were not that pleasing. But this one definitely is. It's nice to have it with the 217bhp the engine gives. It feels quite lively. Probably because the car is so light. I was very surprised to see the weight listed at 3,064 lb. The Omega is 3,373 lb!

Mine is an auto with tiptronic which I don't bother with just put it in D and go, my 190e was a manual I have to admit I do prefer auto. The discount was given automatically by my local dealership in Boston Lincolnshire, they really like to see older models & are very helpful, I am a member of MB owners club definitely worth joining for the £30 or so per year , monthly mag & great help & articles.
I believe the discount is worldwide not sure about online, once when they did not have an item in stock they delivered it to my home FOC excellent service !

Thanks for the tip. Of I end up buying the car I will definitely look into joining the club.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 30 November 2016, 15:34:01 »

Different box entirely in the w210

anV6 would have had a four, or possibly five speed auto with standard and economy mode. On the 300E and 300Dt the four speed auto was standard, the manual a very rare no cost option, and the five speed auto was a cost option.

The confusion over the TC is in part because the switch isn't marked as such. Basically it is fitted with a form of TC that, like the Omega, is run via the Abs ecu. It isn't designed to be turnoffandonable, but the system plays havoc with tyrechains if used. So Mercedes, in their infinite wisdom fitted the car with a snowchain switch, which is the same as an off switch only they cannot call it that for fear of misuse ::)

Making TC optional or not is purely down to development... If it's an option people might not order it, but if they do, then you keep it a cost option, and if they don't order it, you want a while and give it away making yourself look good...

It may not have been an option on the manual cars though as you have a clutch to control torque ;) wouldn't worry if it's not fitted though :y

It doesn't have the snow tire button. :(

But I heard the button doesn't really turn TC off? Just withing a certain speed range or something. But it's not completely off. I even read about people just pulling a fuse off to turn it completely off so they could drift. Problem is doing that will also turn the ABS off too.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 30 November 2016, 16:18:20 »

That's because you bought one made by stupid Americans for stupid Americans ::)

good point, well made  ;)

2boxerdogs

« Reply #33 on: 30 November 2016, 17:33:15 »

Just re read this post it's fully loaded with all the toys then! Don't be put off by this enjoy it , mine has every option bar sunroof & all work fine + you feel you are driving something very special mine was just under £56,000 when new so the good older Mercs are a real bargain now. Take a look at MTSV website to get an idea of the marque that's where I bought my E430 from.

Yes indeed. This is how it feels like. Like you are driving something very special.

Is yours an auto or manual? This one is a 5 speed manual and I have to say it's a delight. Shifts really well. I had heard that Mercedes manual transmissions were not that pleasing. But this one definitely is. It's nice to have it with the 217bhp the engine gives. It feels quite lively. Probably because the car is so light. I was very surprised to see the weight listed at 3,064 lb. The Omega is 3,373 lb!

Mine is an auto with tiptronic which I don't bother with just put it in D and go, my 190e was a manual I have to admit I do prefer auto. The discount was given automatically by my local dealership in Boston Lincolnshire, they really like to see older models & are very helpful, I am a member of MB owners club definitely worth joining for the £30 or so per year , monthly mag & great help & articles.
I believe the discount is worldwide not sure about online, once when they did not have an item in stock they delivered it to my home FOC excellent service !

Thanks for the tip. Of I end up buying the car I will definitely look into joining the club.

No problem , let us know if you decide to buy it out of interest how many miles has it done?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 30 November 2016, 17:59:51 »

Traction control generally switches off at 50mph/80kph... Abs works regardless of speed.

Honestly wouldn't worry too much and buy it if you like it :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 30 November 2016, 19:06:23 »

I thought we were going for a run on the 'which Omega' thread .....  ::) ::)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 30 November 2016, 22:19:16 »

I thought we were going for a run on the 'which Omega' thread .....  ::) ::)
Why? This car sounds like it ticks most if not all of the wants... Certainly in this respect it will be a better purchase than an ideal imaginary Omega ::)

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 01 December 2016, 00:01:18 »

Traction control generally switches off at 50mph/80kph... Abs works regardless of speed.

Honestly wouldn't worry too much and buy it if you like it :y

The snow button switches the TC off till 25mph. Above 25mph TC kicks in again. This is why people were pulling the fuse off and even making custom buttons to switch it off completely. Bellow 25mph you may be able to do a doughnut. But you can't really drift.

Not that I'm worried about that though. I worry more about it not having one at all than turning it off.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 01 December 2016, 00:05:16 »

No problem , let us know if you decide to buy it out of interest how many miles has it done?

The mileage is not low.  294.000 km. But it looks very nice. Specially the interior. I think it speaks for the quality of these older Mercedes that a car with such mileage could look so new in the inside.

As for buying it, I dropped it back today and told them I would sleep on it.

By the opinions here it seems I should buy it and just forget about the Omega (?). But I'm not sure. I really like the Omega too. I'm not looking for one just because it's good bang for the buck. I truly like it.

I will sleep on it and decide tomorrow.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 01 December 2016, 10:49:14 »

Sounds to me that it is better than the ideal Omega that you`re trying to find.

Buy it and enjoy it, you can still keep an eye out for the mythical Omega you seek and should you find one then it`s up to you if you want to chop the Merc in for an Omega  :y

2boxerdogs

« Reply #40 on: 01 December 2016, 11:56:18 »

Good idea, I had a lovely 2.6 Omega CDX which needed absolutely nothing doing to it ,I saw the Merc test drove it and mulled it over for a couple of days before putting a deposit on it, it is in all honesty a much better car than the Omega in many respects, however comfort wise I think the Omega was just as good. The only thing is  a well looked after Merc improves with age.😉

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 01 December 2016, 14:12:14 »

Yes, definitely. A W124 in good nick will be an appreciating classic for sure. The Omega will most likely stay where it's at, hopefully not falling anymore. But when you look at the Carlton, the only ones which have any real value is the Lotus and Evolution 500. Not even the 3000 GSi is really selling for good money. So the chances for the Omega appreciating is very low. Not that I care or am buying for that. But since you brought up the subject, it does make for good food for thought when deciding between the Omega and the Mercedes. Although I'm not sure almost 300k on the clock of the Mercedes would get in the way of it appreciating. I don't think it's a problem mechanically though. I have heard they can easily go 500K without a problem.

But I have the impression the Omega is larger inside than the W124? I didn't have both side by side but I seem to remember the Omega had more leg room in the rear seat. Maybe I'm mistaking. The W210 also seems larger than the W124.

That's indeed a good idea Mr. Gav. The only thing is I like to customize my cars when I buy them. Even the Mercedes I probably would do something. Nothing like body kits and things like that. Just subtle things to improve it. And once I start spending money and time on it the chances of trading it for an Omega will become lower and lower. ;)

So I must think well about it. Every time I look at a nice picture of a PFL I have to admire it for a moment. I really like it. I think when it comes to the looks I like the Omega PFL better than the W124. But only the exterior. The interior you just can’t compare the Omega to the W124. The ride as well the W124 was much nicer. But I’ve never driven a MV6 though.

Hard decision.
« Last Edit: 01 December 2016, 14:17:04 by anV6 »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 01 December 2016, 14:59:30 »

Customising the Merc will kill it's value.

Even with mileage they're worth something...

http://alltime-stars.com/vehicle/mercedes-benz-300-e-w-124/

Basically either buy the Merc to keep well or buy any Omega to piss around with.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #43 on: 01 December 2016, 18:14:50 »

Yes, definitely. A W124 in good nick will be an appreciating classic for sure. The Omega will most likely stay where it's at, hopefully not falling anymore. But when you look at the Carlton, the only ones which have any real value is the Lotus and Evolution 500. Not even the 3000 GSi is really selling for good money. So the chances for the Omega appreciating is very low. Not that I care or am buying for that. But since you brought up the subject, it does make for good food for thought when deciding between the Omega and the Mercedes. Although I'm not sure almost 300k on the clock of the Mercedes would get in the way of it appreciating. I don't think it's a problem mechanically though. I have heard they can easily go 500K without a problem.

But I have the impression the Omega is larger inside than the W124? I didn't have both side by side but I seem to remember the Omega had more leg room in the rear seat. Maybe I'm mistaking. The W210 also seems larger than the W124.

That's indeed a good idea Mr. Gav. The only thing is I like to customize my cars when I buy them. Even the Mercedes I probably would do something. Nothing like body kits and things like that. Just subtle things to improve it. And once I start spending money and time on it the chances of trading it for an Omega will become lower and lower. ;)

So I must think well about it. Every time I look at a nice picture of a PFL I have to admire it for a moment. I really like it. I think when it comes to the looks I like the Omega PFL better than the W124. But only the exterior. The interior you just can’t compare the Omega to the W124. The ride as well the W124 was much nicer. But I’ve never driven a MV6 though.

Hard decision.

There was an article in Mercedes Enthusiast a couple of months ago with two S class Mercs from the nineties, one was a very low mileage one the other a well looked after high mileage car, on a road test they both performed very well & as to the interior there was very little wear showing in the car that had covered over 250,000 miles. I would love to own one from the sixties but they are well out of my price bracket now.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 07 December 2016, 11:23:15 »

Just an update. I decided to pass on the Mercedes. It's just not what I want. I want an Omega MFL!

It drove nice, the price was OK and it was all good. But it's a little older than what I want. I like the MFL better. It looks more modern and is also more the type of car I'm looking for. The Mercedes drives more like a luxury barge than even the 4 cylinder Omegas to be honest. If it was an AMG then it would be different.

So now with the Mercedes distraction off the table, I'm back to my Omega search. :)

Thanks to all who took part in the thread. This chapter is closed! ;)
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.