Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: My Ford broke down today  (Read 5901 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: My Ford broke down today
« Reply #30 on: 02 December 2016, 13:25:26 »

New fuel filter is on my to do list on the VW, now I have VCDS software.

Glad it was a simple fix  :y

Is it necessary to go into the software to change the fuel filter??

You would hope not!

Should be a change and cycle the ignition 3 times for 30 seconds or so to re-prime the setup, I thought it was only Merc who required random programming for simple changes.  ;D :y

VCDS triggers the prime cycle for the fuel pump/filter, so gets rid of the air. Forums suggest the ignition method was not advised on the later TDI's :-\

Also need VCDS to put rear electric hand brake in service mode, so you can change the pads.

Shite.design.com  ;) :'(

Perhaps from DIY work point of view, but when I considered the Insignia that had a shite.design.com/interior  :D

#mostirrelevantstatementever

Is it?

I'd change a fuel filter about once every 2 years, so having do press a couple of buttons on a computer afterwards is no hard ship.

Sitting in the interior of the god-awful sack of shite that is the Insignia every day, I am quite happy to do that tiny bit of extra work on the filter.

I tried to like the Insignia, I really, really did. Huge resources here for support, GM, trade links I already have etc. I really, really tried to like it. Head said get one...

Only one issue, it's a faking horrible shite box with terrible interior, terrible looks... there is nothing to like about it.

VW on other hand is such a nice place to be, seats far, far more supportive. Dash does not rattle and made of wheelie bin plastics. VW feels so much better made (is it? dunno, but feels it)

Also CC's fairly rare, even more rare soon VW stopped producing them.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 02 December 2016, 13:33:45 »

Yes it is, totally and utterly (and you know it really!  :y).

One is an opinion on a cars interior, the other is a fact about the basic design of a system such that the competent DIYer and independent garage can no longer do such basics as pad change and fuel filter change without computer kit.

I mean, a filter change!

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 02 December 2016, 13:39:35 »

I fully agree with Tunnie, re the Insignificant. Its a hideous contraption. How the VX brand has fallen to the depths it has is a sad state of affairs.  :(
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

aaronjb

« Reply #33 on: 02 December 2016, 13:42:52 »

One is an opinion on a cars interior, the other is a fact about the basic design of a system such that the competent DIYer and independent garage can no longer do such basics as pad change and fuel filter change without computer kit.

I mean, a filter change!

It's only poor design if the design does not meet the manufacturers intent.. and I doubt their intent was to let anyone DIY anything on any of their cars, ever, if at all possible, so that their dealers can collect the revenue and they the revenue for genuine parts.  I'm sure they'd also rather indies disappear, along with the DIYer..

So, given that, surely it's very good design.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 02 December 2016, 14:20:58 »

I mean, a filter change!

Don't forget rear brake pad change!  :D  ;D

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 02 December 2016, 14:26:52 »

Have you tried a full scan yet?

Yes, everything works. Took a scan few weeks ago, will take another one soon.

Just setting a laptop up with VCDS so I can keep an eye DPF, after about 3,000 miles it was fine, just 0.008g in there, having done a cycle fairly recently. Interested to see how quickly it builds up
I was wondering if it had turned up any modules that you weren't expecting?
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 02 December 2016, 14:33:01 »

Have you tried a full scan yet?

Yes, everything works. Took a scan few weeks ago, will take another one soon.

Just setting a laptop up with VCDS so I can keep an eye DPF, after about 3,000 miles it was fine, just 0.008g in there, having done a cycle fairly recently. Interested to see how quickly it builds up
I was wondering if it had turned up any modules that you weren't expecting?

How so? It all appears as it would, took me a while to dive into certin modules to get DPF data.

I've not really done as much as I wanted, only 30 min play some time ago. But as I'm setting up a laptop for it now as well, intend to be able to check more often, such as when I arrive at work or popout at lunch time.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 02 December 2016, 16:04:16 »

A full scan checks every possible (probable?) address and waits for it to time out before moving on to the next one so it takes ages.

If you have a car with a long options list it might turn up some option you weren't aware had been fitted.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 02 December 2016, 16:48:04 »

Having driven a basic, (underpowered - 130bhp) 2.0CDTi to the South of France 3 or 4 years ago, I'd have to say its not that bad a place to be over distance.  Its far more comfortable then it initially appears. It was economical enough, despite trying to keep up with my mate's ash tree Morgan, and handled as well as could be expected - right up until it ran out of pads about 700 miles in  :-[, when I then had to behave, until we could get some pads shipped over.  No silly tools needed to change the pads either - saving us a fortune in what would otherwise be an Opel dealer job if GM were as daft as VAG. Stupidly economical as well - averaged mid 50's, despite the constant ragging it got, and the windy roads at the foot of the Pyrenees are hardy the most economical to start with.

My only complaints were poor rearward visibility and it was quite small in the cabin and boot.

Would I buy one? Probably not...  ...unless it was really cheap. Its a good enough car, just FWD, with all the FWS flaws.  But I'd have one over a 2l Passat any day - VAG's 2.0 diesel was such a step backwards over their previous, and quite good in its day, 1.9TDi
Grumpy old man

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 02 December 2016, 18:00:20 »

Must have been, some serious water in that fuel, or just crap fuel, to start waxing at such a temperature, diesel nowdays in the northern hemisphere is good to at least -15, before winter additives.
Best start putting a drop of petrol in the tank (old skool rules) 8)

Its all this cheapo stuff TD keeps getting off his dodgy punters.  ;)

You mean the bleached red, from that Irish fella.

Or the stuff some bloke recovered from a Milford Haven beach some years ago.

Nope it only gets the good stuff.....or whatever Tesco/Asda/Apple Green/Sainsbury/etc sell  ::)

Tho its probably its first fuel filter change......and its nearly done 150k now, so probably needed a new one  ::)

Since ive got it back.....Ive noticed two things...

Its idle is nice and smooth....was a bit 'lumpy' for the last few months

And its seems to have gained some extra 'oomph'......definitely up on power  :y

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 02 December 2016, 18:10:20 »

Also apart form a quick read of the codes......no 'clever' software need for mine....

Fuel filter changed....and what looked like a vacuum pump hooked up the fuel filter....couple of pumps on it....pump taken off and another pipe re attached .....mechanic turned the key and it burst into life  :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 02 December 2016, 18:12:23 »

Also apart form a quick read of the codes......no 'clever' software need for mine....

Fuel filter changed....and what looked like a vacuum pump hooked up the fuel filter....couple of pumps on it....pump taken off and another pipe re attached .....mechanic turned the key and it burst into life  :y
Those Ford Tds either bleed perfectly at the first attempt, or they're a complete shit... No middle ground.
Onanists always think outside the box.

citroenguy

• Sweden
    • 2005 Citroën C5 2.0SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 02 December 2016, 21:33:18 »

On Peugeots and Citroëns there is always a bladder or button pump there  :y ,so no worries :)
124k on the C5
I like Omegas Senators and all other big 90´s euro saloons.
Previous motors: 3x Rover 600s, Citroën ZX, Volvo 850

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 03 December 2016, 11:03:49 »

A full scan checks every possible (probable?) address and waits for it to time out before moving on to the next one so it takes ages.

If you have a car with a long options list it might turn up some option you weren't aware had been fitted.

Mine appears to have most things enabled, which were tweaks a few years before. Looking here:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Passat_(36)_Tweaks

There is not much I can enable, also I checked with VW and got the full factory spec order  :)
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.