Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: This car tax malarkey?  (Read 2269 times)

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
This car tax malarkey?
« on: 03 October 2014, 09:41:41 »

So, what with all I've been reading nothing has made complete sense, so the situation is as follows. A couple of cars I've purchased, were purchased on 28th & 30th September respectively. Now do I get to keep the tax on the car or does that get lost? Everything I've been reading has been pretty unclear. One thing I read said you'll get to keep the tax as the rules came in on October 1st, however something else I read said, as soon as DVLA receive the log book the tax will be gone, as they've recieved the log book after October 1st. I, more than likely may be being rather thick, however this is all far too much for my old brain to compute  :-[.
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: This car tax malarkey?
« Reply #1 on: 03 October 2014, 11:58:02 »

You should get to keep the Tax on the Cars, (New Keeper or Trade?) as it was before the deadline, its when you come to sell them the New Keeper needs to renew Tax.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 October 2014, 12:13:20 »

You should get to keep the Tax on the Cars, (New Keeper or Trade?) as it was before the deadline, its when you come to sell them the New Keeper needs to renew Tax.

Yep,bought before 30th Sept you keep tax untill you sell,don't know what happens then as being trade Del won't register is his own name so who will  tax refund go to  ??? ???
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

The Sheriff

« Reply #3 on: 03 October 2014, 12:14:18 »

There's that word.... ;D

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 October 2014, 12:31:23 »

Yep,bought before 30th Sept you keep tax untill you sell,don't know what happens then as being trade Del won't register is his own name so who will  tax refund go to  ??? ???
Same a before H (as in surrendering Tax Disc), no one, as the Car is in limbo (Trade), might get back to the original owner if theres a few days within the transactions but guessing DVLA get to keep it.

Not sure what happens now as to the Tax on the Car when its bought via the Yellow Slip?, in theory the Trader cant Sorn it, so does He Tax it?, only to lose it again when selling to a New Keeper?

« Last Edit: 03 October 2014, 12:33:47 by zirk »

bertie1.8vectra

• wolverhampton
  • life is but a dream....
    • Jeep cherokee 3.7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 October 2014, 22:39:39 »

So if i was to buy a car now off a private seller as in an emergency purchase I.E. car goes bang, how do i go about taxing it at the post office without a hard copy of the car insurance??? as we all know insurance companies send them out in a few days.... I`m only asking as lately i`ve had to buy a cheap mondeo and then the miggy so i could get to n from work.... so i`m a little confused about how this is going to help the public.... :(
Now to buy shares in BP!!!!!!!!!

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 October 2014, 23:38:11 »

So if i was to buy a car now off a private seller as in an emergency purchase I.E. car goes bang, how do i go about taxing it at the post office without a hard copy of the car insurance??? as we all know insurance companies send them out in a few days.... I`m only asking as lately i`ve had to buy a cheap mondeo and then the miggy so i could get to n from work.... so i`m a little confused about how this is going to help the public.... :(

So long as the car is mot'd you can tax it online or on helpline,insurance no longer asked for as it can take several days for it to register on the database
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 October 2014, 09:51:57 »

So long as the car is mot'd you can tax it online or on helpline,insurance no longer asked for as it can take several days for it to register on the database
Yea, they scrapped the Insurance thing back in December last year, to get things ready for the new system, as Henry says the MID update system was just too slow.

Fairly sure you can Tax at a Post Office now without Insurance proof in place, I taxed one last week on the Automated 0300 Number (having given up trying to do it online) and in effect it checks your MOT Status in seconds, and says something like 'by purchasing the Tax, you are agreeing that you have a valid Insurance in place'.

Seems a backward step to me, allowing people to Tax without proof of insurance, no doubt theres a system in place afterwards if you fall fail of the system.  :-\ 

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 October 2014, 11:39:06 »

My daughter's road tax expired at the end of Sept & even though she renewed it on line mid Sept she's not received a replacement ...... I doubt now if she'll get one. DVLA had envisaged running out of discs

aaronjb

« Reply #9 on: 06 October 2014, 11:54:33 »

Seems a backward step to me, allowing people to Tax without proof of insurance, no doubt theres a system in place afterwards if you fall fail of the system.  :-\

There is - see Al's post elsewhere about his taxi driving colleague who got fined for having a taxed, MOTd car uninsured on his driveway (without ever being used on the roads in that state)..

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #10 on: 06 October 2014, 13:36:27 »

My daughter's road tax expired at the end of Sept & even though she renewed it on line mid Sept she's not received a replacement ...... I doubt now if she'll get one. DVLA had envisaged running out of discs

She will not get one as she renewed her tax to start at the end of September; 1st of October therefore.

It is now under the new no-disc system. so why would she still want one? ???

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 October 2014, 13:41:40 »

She will not get one as she renewed her tax to start at the end of September; 1st of October therefore.

It is now under the new no-disc system. so why would she still want one? ???

Of course ....... I was a month out  ::) ::)

aaronjb

« Reply #12 on: 06 October 2014, 14:18:11 »

so why would she still want one? ???

So she has some proof to wave under the nose of the man as he crushes her car when the computers fail… ;) ;D

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 October 2014, 12:59:00 »

Thanks people, do get to keep it. I'm not using one of the cars for trade purposes so that keeps the tax and is going in my name. As for the trade slip, as from now you have to fill out a trade slip, it's apparently down to the registered keeper to inform DVLA that it's gone to a trader, the registered keeper then gets a refund for the amount of full months tax remaining. One big revenue earner if you ask me.
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.