Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: D2S Hid bulbs at Halfords  (Read 7064 times)

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
D2S Hid bulbs at Halfords
« on: 06 November 2017, 14:00:15 »

Noticed em when I was in there earlier, £60 each, or £30 on trade!

Well worth remembering!

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs-blades-batteries/car-bulbs/halfords-d2s-85122-hid-car-bulb-x-1

3 year guarantee too

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
Re: D2S Hid bulbs at Halfords
« Reply #1 on: 06 November 2017, 14:07:47 »

Always a bit cautious with Halfords bulbs but that’s a great price :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 November 2017, 14:09:51 »

Anyone running them on an Omega? Good price for an update, think my 3.2’s are original

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 November 2017, 14:19:15 »

havent bought any, so cant comment on fit / quality etc, but its a shop you can walk up to and buy them from, and presumably take em back if theres a problem.

If it was me, I'd rather stick to Phillips / Osram, but if I was going for a cheap ebay special, I'd go Halfords over that for definate.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 November 2017, 16:36:14 »

havent bought any, so cant comment on fit / quality etc, but its a shop you can walk up to and buy them from, and presumably take em back if theres a problem.

If it was me, I'd rather stick to Phillips / Osram, but if I was going for a cheap ebay special, I'd go Halfords over that for definate.

This :y

Mind you, last couple of sets of Halfords bulbs I’ve had have been fine.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 November 2017, 16:57:32 »

I replaced the HID bulbs in the Bullet 2 or 3 years ago, with Osram 4.2k OEM spec ones. What a difference on the (then) 15+ yr old ones.  These, as of yesterday, are now in TBE, as those bulbs (now 16yrs old) are bright to look at, but have no illumination.

I need to replace the D3S on the Jag, Halfords looking best bet at £45 trade.  I wonder if they will fit them for a fiver ::).  Given a choice, I'd rather fit Osram etc, but all reputable suppliers (and some less reputable) all want £100 a pop.
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 November 2017, 22:05:59 »

I replaced the HID bulbs in the Bullet 2 or 3 years ago, with Osram 4.2k OEM spec ones. What a difference on the (then) 15+ yr old ones.  These, as of yesterday, are now in TBE, as those bulbs (now 16yrs old) are bright to look at, but have no illumination.

Where did you get yours from?

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 November 2017, 23:00:10 »

I recently bought from Powerbulbs online :y

https://www.powerbulbs.com/store/search/d2s

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 November 2017, 23:02:50 »

The Halfrods ones aren't new... They used to be nearer £90 each :o

Without trade they aren't viable, and with they are still expensive relatively speaking...

That said, there's alot to be said for being able to walk in and buy them in an emergency ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 November 2017, 08:59:54 »

I’d certainly consider the Nightbreaker Unlimited ones at that price :y

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 November 2017, 09:10:53 »

I got mine from HERE

neil74

• Intermediate Member
  • newport
    • 2.6 elite estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 November 2017, 12:48:07 »

Its a shame mine aren't halogen ones as I hate having to pay over the odds for a couple of bulbs.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07 November 2017, 15:25:07 »

Thanks. Which ones did your go for? Just standard OSRAM?

I got mine from HERE

Did you see a good improvement?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 November 2017, 17:37:29 »

Where did you get yours from?
A reputable supplier who I can't remember now.  There are shitloads of Chinese fakes that are rubbish. It was about £60 for a twin pack. They are more now, due to inflation and poor pound.

Usual rules apply. Not egay. Not Euroshite/CP4L. Not Amazon (unless it specifically says SOLD by Amazon (not just Fulfilled)).
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 November 2017, 17:39:13 »

The Halfrods ones aren't new... They used to be nearer £90 each :o

Without trade they aren't viable, and with they are still expensive relatively speaking...

That said, there's alot to be said for being able to walk in and buy them in an emergency ;)
Seeing as they won't be low cost fakes, they are around the right price, and even at retail match/better the price of the likes of euroshitejunk, even with their daily 1/3rd off.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 07 November 2017, 22:20:09 »

I tend to buy them from HIDS4U on ebay... no complaints at all, ie what I ordered is what arrives...

You won't buy them from ebay, I won't buy generic/unbranded from Halfords... even though we both know they probably share the same supplier ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07 November 2017, 22:32:00 »

I tend to buy them from HIDS4U on ebay... no complaints at all, ie what I ordered is what arrives...

You won't buy them from ebay, I won't buy generic/unbranded from Halfords... even though we both know they probably share the same supplier ::)

I believe the Halfords HID's are repackaged GE (General Electric) products.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08 November 2017, 07:53:25 »

Thanks. Which ones did your go for? Just standard OSRAM?

I got mine from HERE

Did you see a good improvement?

Yes I did see a good improvement, they do deteriorate over time and you don`t really notice until you change them. When you take the old ones out have a look at the sphere about halfway up, that is a good indicator on the bulb condition, if it is fairly clear then the bulb is still good, the ones I changed were grey and the light from the new bulbs was a lot better.

IIRC HIDS4U and Autobulbs direct are the same company with different trading names.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08 November 2017, 11:16:09 »

/stupid question

I've never actually replaced the HID bulbs before, best to disconnect battery? Considering changing that anyway, as it's turning over a bit slow now. Winter kicking in.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08 November 2017, 11:23:56 »

/stupid question

I've never actually replaced the HID bulbs before, best to disconnect battery? Considering changing that anyway, as it's turning over a bit slow now. Winter kicking in.

If there's any chance of someone turning the headliught switch on when you've got your fingers in there then yes! You might find you need to remove it for access anyway.

I ought to change mine, really. It's getting a bit hard to see where I'm going on dipped beam, but that might be the cloudy lenses that need their annual polishing.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08 November 2017, 11:29:40 »

/stupid question

You could always just full the fuses rather than disconnect the battery, saves losing radio stations and clock settings. I also found it easier to just remove the headlights from the car for access  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 08 November 2017, 11:41:07 »

/stupid question

If there's any chance of someone turning the headliught switch on when you've got your fingers in there then yes! You might find you need to remove it for access anyway.

I ought to change mine, really. It's getting a bit hard to see where I'm going on dipped beam, but that might be the cloudy lenses that need their annual polishing.

On my mind is battery is nearing end of life anyway, so might as well do it all in one go.  :)

Mine also need a polishing.

/stupid question

You could always just full the fuses rather than disconnect the battery, saves losing radio stations and clock settings. I also found it easier to just remove the headlights from the car for access  :y

Thanks, only use bluetooth now, so stations not really an issue. :)

Thinking of going for these, as might as well put some decent ones in:

https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/osram-xenarc-night-breaker-unlimited-d2s-twin

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 08 November 2017, 11:46:06 »

Just to check, the ones I have linked to are right? Their website lists Omega, Omega 94-98 and 98-01 and 02 onwards  :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 08 November 2017, 11:56:14 »

/stupid question

Even with your gadget hands, you will not get in the OS one without removing battery. So non-issue.

Check adjusters before you buy bulbs, if they are broken, buy some, and do all at same time.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 08 November 2017, 11:59:59 »

The cheapo chinese aren't great to begin with, but lose their illumination really quickly.  So, yes, I can buy a pair of D2S for under £25 delivered, but they aren't worth it for me.

Same with low grade LEDs etc, they lose illumination power faster than higher grade LEDs.

So, yes, might share a supplier (though probably not), but the quality is unlikely to be the same.

We pays our moenys and make our own choices.  But for others reading, they need to understand the facts to make an informed decision :y
Grumpy old man

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 08 November 2017, 12:04:50 »

The cheapo chinese aren't great to begin with, but lose their illumination really quickly.  So, yes, I can buy a pair of D2S for under £25 delivered, but they aren't worth it for me.

Same with low grade LEDs etc, they lose illumination power faster than higher grade LEDs.

So, yes, might share a supplier (though probably not), but the quality is unlikely to be the same.

We pays our moenys and make our own choices.  But for others reading, they need to understand the facts to make an informed decision :y

The ones I got from Autobulbs direct were Phillips but came in plain white boxes, IIRC £72 for a pair.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08 November 2017, 12:07:18 »

The ones I got from Autobulbs direct were Phillips but came in plain white boxes, IIRC £72 for a pair.
The plain boxes would set alarm bells ringing.  The cost would have been about right for genuine HIDs about 2 years ago (assuming D2S, not D3S).
Grumpy old man

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 08 November 2017, 12:16:21 »

The plain boxes would set alarm bells ringing.  The cost would have been about right for genuine HIDs about 2 years ago (assuming D2S, not D3S).

This was around three years ago, never had an issue with them and apart from the packaging were identical to the bulbs I removed.

They don`t come in branded boxes at the main stealers either  ;)

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 08 November 2017, 12:28:38 »

When I had my Omega, I needed a pair of D2's in the headlights as the original bulbs was crap. I converted mine to HID and they worked perfectly... Bit fiddly to get the bulb into the correct place, but the D2 holder would hold the HID bulb securely no problem...

Passed MoT everytime with them fitted, and they used the D2 ballasts too, so only needed to replace the bulbs and not everything else...
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 08 November 2017, 13:32:33 »

/stupid question

Even with your gadget hands, you will not get in the OS one without removing battery. So non-issue.

Check adjusters before you buy bulbs, if they are broken, buy some, and do all at same time.

Not actually tested adjusted before  :-[  :-\

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 08 November 2017, 13:37:10 »

/stupid question

If you break one I have a spare plastic one you can have  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 08 November 2017, 17:23:33 »

/stupid question

Pop off rubber cover for main beam bulb/sidelight/euroland adjuster, and grab back of bulb holder, and move unit in and out. Will be blatantly obvious if adjuster is broken.

I can pretty much guarantee at least one is. Don't piss around, replace adjusters on both.

Bit fiddly to do, pop it up and watch Mrs TB and I do one, then you'll be fully confidence.  The big thing is not to get any of the sealant onto anything visible, as you won't shift it.
Grumpy old man

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 08 November 2017, 18:51:58 »

Yep, easy enough to do once you've done one.

I have two spare pairs of headlights so am aiming to refurbish and fit to the other two. Last set cost quite a bit to do though as I went the whole hog - sanded and polished lenses, cleaned reflectors, replaced adjusters, replaced all bulbs with the exception of the indicator bulbs and applied UV protection film.  :-X

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 08 November 2017, 22:55:17 »

/stupid question

Pop off rubber cover for main beam bulb/sidelight/euroland adjuster, and grab back of bulb holder, and move unit in and out. Will be blatantly obvious if adjuster is broken.

I can pretty much guarantee at least one is. Don't piss around, replace adjusters on both.

Bit fiddly to do, pop it up and watch Mrs TB and I do one, then you'll be fully confidence.  The big thing is not to get any of the sealant onto anything visible, as you won't shift it.

Thanks another reason to pop up  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 08 November 2017, 22:55:51 »

/stupid question

Cheers  :y

Is that from a spare unit or did you buy them?

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 09 November 2017, 07:54:54 »

/stupid question

Cheers  :y

Is that from a spare unit or did you buy them?

It is from an old unit after I put aluminium adjusters in  :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 10 November 2017, 10:37:31 »

I believe the Halfords HID's are repackaged GE (General Electric) products.

They are........ 8)

But GE don't manufacture them............(according to our internal system)
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.