Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Passat cost me money this week...  (Read 1705 times)

Taxi_Driver

My Passat cost me money this week...
« on: 30 August 2013, 18:42:11 »

First time other than servicing ....

Few miles from jn15 m4.....it puts up the display "check coolant....stop"

Ok ive had this before, usually every 5k miles it wants topping up its coolant from min to max.....it does this with oil as well......it usually goes tho' a litre of oil every 5k miles.....not bad with 185k on its clock.

So i ignore it as usual, thinking i'll top it up when i get home, keeping an eye on the temp gauge, steady at 90c.

So i carry on doing 70-80mph......come off at jn 15, do another few miles heading for home, about 200 yrds from home it cuts out...so i pull in.....give it a go at starting it....it starts then soon as i rev to pull away it cuts out again. So decide to check the water level.....the expansion bottle is empty!
Decide to walk the rest of way and get water for it.....when i pour the water in the water comes out as fast as im pouring it in!

This is now probably an hr later i think it must have cooled down enough to drive it home and call the garage in the morning.......but it still wont start, so i get it towed home instead

Garage come out in the morning and after a quick check they reckon its the water pump leaking all the water out but unsure why it wont start at this point......they take it away on a breakdown truck

I got it back yesterday fixed  :y

It was the water pump at fault.....and its basically the same as the omega 4 pots setup.....anyone wanna guess why it wouldnt start and would an omega gone 4-5 miles with no coolant in it and get away with it!

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Re: My Passat cost me money this week...
« Reply #1 on: 30 August 2013, 19:00:47 »

Give us a small clue - Was the non starting related to the water leak?

05omegav6

« Reply #2 on: 30 August 2013, 19:03:03 »

Was the water pump not replaced with the cambelt? If not why not? No real surprise to its failure :-\

As to the not starting, was that the factory fitted Driver Overide system which basically shuts the thing down until it has been plugged in and reset ::) have seen a Superb do that following a driver ignore a brakelight warning for a few days...

omega3000

« Reply #3 on: 30 August 2013, 20:33:49 »

A Ford fusion anti start when the bottle is empty  :-\

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 August 2013, 21:21:58 »

Shagged water pump caused belt to jump a tooth then engine ecu spat its dummy out as crank/cam sensor synchronisation up the swanny ???
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #5 on: 31 August 2013, 06:09:26 »

Shagged water pump caused belt to jump a tooth then engine ecu spat its dummy out as crank/cam sensor synchronisation up the swanny ???

Spot on that man  :y Water pump totally knackered itself....and timing belt slipped several teeth to the point where it wouldnt start. Garage fitted new pump and retimed it and it started  :y

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #6 on: 31 August 2013, 06:11:03 »

Was the water pump not replaced with the cambelt? If not why not? No real surprise to its failure :-\

As to the not starting, was that the factory fitted Driver Overide system which basically shuts the thing down until it has been plugged in and reset ::) have seen a Superb do that following a driver ignore a brakelight warning for a few days...

Dunno m8, before my time with it.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #7 on: 31 August 2013, 09:08:12 »

Spot on that man  :y Water pump totally knackered itself....and timing belt slipped several teeth to the point where it wouldnt start. Garage fitted new pump and retimed it and it started  :y

phew .. you were lucky  :o

05omegav6

« Reply #8 on: 31 August 2013, 11:13:10 »

Wot 'e sed :o ^^^^^

Lucky not the word :-\

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 August 2013, 12:14:44 »

Christ,you were lucky :o :o
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.