Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Air in the fuel pump...?  (Read 2695 times)

Hollybob

• Bushey, Herts
    • View Profile
Air in the fuel pump...?
« on: 29 June 2014, 17:52:54 »

I've got a 2001 Omega, a 2.4L petrol automatic. Tried to start the car to leave office about 3 weeks ago and, despite having had no previous problems, it was turning and not firing. Called out Green Flag and after appearing to tighten something in the engine while I was in the driving seat he asked me to start it....and it started first time.

He said it would seem I'd got some air in the fuel pump but it should now be ok.

About a week or so later the same thing happened again.  Called them out again but this time, when he'd arrived, I went out and it started first time..!  But he said not to worry he would put the diagnostic machine on and just make sure everything was ok.  No fault codes at all which led him to say it was 'one of those things'. 

Two and a bit weeks on, with no further problems in between, its happened again. I'm not going to use another call out....but I'm actually thinking of changing cars and would therefore prefer not to shell out a lot of money in repairs.....but I'm stuck as it won't start now.

Any suggestions or thoughts anyone...??

4x4

Re: Air in the fuel pump...?
« Reply #1 on: 29 June 2014, 18:08:29 »

Being a 2.4 its going to very hard to say what it is,is this a 4 or 6 cylinder engine as never fitted to an omega  :y

05omegav6

« Reply #2 on: 29 June 2014, 18:26:40 »

If it's a v6, suspect the crank sensor :y

Hollybob

• Bushey, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 June 2014, 21:34:19 »

Hi Taxi Al.....a mate of mine mentioned the camshaft sensor.....is that the same thing.....?

IS it something that is just intermittent or would it need looking at.

I just thought that the fact it started when the Green Flag bloke turned up....and made me look a bit of a dick for calling him I wondered whether that would keep happening....?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 June 2014, 21:42:09 »

Can you confirm engine?
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #5 on: 29 June 2014, 21:51:29 »

Hi Taxi Al.....a mate of mine mentioned the camshaft sensor.....is that the same thing.....?

IS it something that is just intermittent or would it need looking at.

I just thought that the fact it started when the Green Flag bloke turned up....and made me look a bit of a dick for calling him I wondered whether that would keep happening....?
V6 suffers from intermittent starting with a failing/failed crank sensor, to the point where they won't run at all.
2.0/2.2 suffer from failing cam sensors, which only make it harder to start, but will allow eventual starting.

Given the Omega B was never fitted with a 2.4 lump, what engine exactly is fitted to your car? :y

Hollybob

• Bushey, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 June 2014, 22:08:32 »

Apologies....its a 2.6 not 2.4. CDX V6. Jan 2002.

If its the sensor what do you think it would cost to repair...?  Does it need replacing or is it the sensor just getting dirty...?

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 June 2014, 22:19:58 »

New Sensor required, get a proper GM one, 5 min job once you get under the Car. :y

Hollybob

• Bushey, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 June 2014, 22:33:44 »

What am I looking at cost wise....?   I'd have to get someone to do it as well....

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 June 2014, 23:03:46 »

Cant remeber what they cost from VX, but if you get your hands on one, Im not far from you, so can lend a hand, or fit it for some beer tokens.   ;)

05omegav6

« Reply #10 on: 30 June 2014, 23:24:07 »

Between £70-85 :y

Only buy one from a Vauxhall dealer... anything bought online or from elsewhere will be a waste of time and cash :y

Hollybob

• Bushey, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 July 2014, 23:42:28 »

Thanks very much for your help and advice.....and especially you Zirk.  That's really good of you to offer to help out.  I actually spoke to a guy this morning (before I saw your post tonight) and hopefully he's going to sort it out tomorrow.

Only problem is it still won't start and its parked outside my house.  Is it the sort of thing that can be fitted where its parked or will it need towing...?

05omegav6

« Reply #12 on: 01 July 2014, 23:48:28 »

No need to tow... can almost be done without jacking :y

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 July 2014, 09:59:45 »

God you must be thin Al or have some extra elbow joints in your arms  ;D

As Al meant to say, Jack up near side front (H&S moment, support car with Axle Stands or something) CS is located near the Oil Filter, one bolt holding it in, when the new one is fitted, cable tie the cable away from the Exhaust as much as possible, follow the Brake pipes going down.

05omegav6

« Reply #14 on: 02 July 2014, 16:23:57 »

As Al meant to say, Jack up near side front (H&S moment, support car with Axle Stands or something) CS is located near the Oil Filter, one bolt holding it in, when the new one is fitted, cable tie the cable away from the Exhaust as much as possible, follow the Brake pipes going down.
;D I did say Almost ::), a decent curb gives enough space to crawl underneath, but on a lift it becomes a two minute job :y

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 02 July 2014, 19:40:56 »

;D I did say Almost ::), a decent curb gives enough space to crawl underneath, but on a lift it becomes a two minute job :y
Trust me, you stand no chance without a jack etc on a -30mm lowered car.

Been there got the T Shirt etc.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 July 2014, 19:43:19 »

Me too, though I do suffer more mirdrange bulk that you, Mr VXL ;D
Grumpy old man

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 July 2014, 19:48:05 »

The bulk helps to rock the car so the trolley jack will go underneath I find.  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 July 2014, 19:51:19 »

The bulk helps to rock the car so the trolley jack will go underneath I find.  :y
Joking aside, that Coscto lightweight one (approx. £85+VAT) is actually rather good, and slips in nicely under a chavved up, lowered (30mm) Omega
Grumpy old man

Hollybob

• Bushey, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02 July 2014, 19:56:39 »

:( Ironically, the guy came round to have a look at it.....and it started first time....cue me looking a pillock again...!

Annoying was since it failed to start on Saturday I've tried to start it every day....and it wouldn't fire.

He put his own diagnostic plug in...and it came up with the code for a crankshaft sensor warning.  Strange that the one the Green Flag guy used didn't come up with the same thing...!

He's going to pick up the part and hopefully fit it before the weekend...thank God.

Thanks again for all your help and advice though.

I'm actually looking for another car at the moment....just for a change. But I actually came across a 2003 3.2 model thats only got 35000 miles on the clock..!  Looks immaculate in and out....and the guy is looking for £5K for it.  Very tempting.....

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02 July 2014, 20:01:15 »

Sometimes they will start when cold but you just wont get too far, it will let you down.

NB. if the engine isn't running (which it wouldn't be if you couldn't start it) the code is not 'present'. On 2.6 / 3.2's this is a bit of a catch 22 situation. My 3.2 one failed but the car had no codes before or after.

Moral of the story is, if you own a 54degree V6, carry a crank sensor.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02 July 2014, 20:02:44 »

Moral of the story is, if you own a 54degree V6, carry a crank sensor.
Regulars will know I got caught out in France about 10yrs ago. Since then, I've always had a spare, which has gotten me out of embarrassing situations.
Grumpy old man

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 July 2014, 20:08:13 »

I have a spare in the boot of the 3.2 but the 2.6 had a new fitted when it had the engine rebuilt by Daz as it seemed like a good idea to me. the decision was made to leave the old one (original looking at the cable routing) 'dangling' as it was working, so should the new one fail I could swap the old one back on and hopefully it would get me home.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02 July 2014, 20:26:50 »

:( Ironically, the guy came round to have a look at it.....and it started first time....cue me looking a pillock again...!

Annoying was since it failed to start on Saturday I've tried to start it every day....and it wouldn't fire.

He put his own diagnostic plug in...and it came up with the code for a crankshaft sensor warning.  Strange that the one the Green Flag guy used didn't come up with the same thing...!

He's going to pick up the part and hopefully fit it before the weekend...thank God.

I'm actually looking for another car at the moment....just for a change. But I actually came across a 2003 3.2 model thats only got 35000 miles on the clock..!  Looks immaculate in and out....and the guy is looking for £5K for it.  Very tempting.....
CS Codes can be a bit hit and miss on the V6's, not uncommon for no Codes to come up for a no starter, then Mysterally comes up if you manage to start the car again.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 03 July 2014, 12:40:51 »

It'll have to be very good indeed to warrant spending 5k on any Omega :o
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Hollybob

• Bushey, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 03 July 2014, 13:08:12 »

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 03 July 2014, 13:50:39 »

Low mileage, late reg 3.2, looks in tip-top condition, the only thing it seems to be missing is a full CID.

These are getting as rare as hens teeth, so he might well get that sort of money .. although the nay-sayers here will say it's overpriced  ... I find it odd that so many folks continually undervalue their own possessions.

It is worth EXACTLY what someone is willing to pay .. no more and no less. Given that it should last another 15 years with some ease .. is £300 ish a year a good price ?? I think it might be .. :)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 03 July 2014, 15:03:49 »

Low mileage, late reg 3.2, looks in tip-top condition, the only thing it seems to be missing is a full CID.

These are getting as rare as hens teeth, so he might well get that sort of money .. although the nay-sayers here will say it's overpriced  ... I find it odd that so many folks continually undervalue their own possessions.

It is worth EXACTLY what someone is willing to pay .. no more and no less. Given that it should last another 15 years with some ease .. is £300 ish a year a good price ?? I think it might be .. :)

I agree with that bit,I just said it'll have to be a good un to be worth the asking :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

05omegav6

« Reply #28 on: 03 July 2014, 17:06:31 »

Given the fact that car cost the seller £3500, it's a fair price :y

Hollybob

• Bushey, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 06 July 2014, 10:05:13 »

All sorted thanks chaps. Got charged £110 to supply and fit which I thought was a good deal.

Thanks again for all your help and advice, much appreciated.

05omegav6

« Reply #30 on: 28 July 2014, 23:51:55 »

Equally reported
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 18 queries.