Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alarm keeps going off so can't lock car..help!  (Read 1144 times)

LadyO

• Herts
    • Elite (3.0 v 6)
    • View Profile
Alarm keeps going off so can't lock car..help!
« on: 26 July 2014, 19:15:49 »

Hi,
I've been an owner of a '99 elite for a year and things are just starting to go wrong. My alarm keeps going off  of it's own accord, meaning I've had to resort to leaving the car unlocked. Any ideas what the problem could be? The only change to the car is that it failed MOT due to Xenons being "cloudy" ; I couldn't find any in Germany or UK so had to get Halogens fitted instead ;  but other than that I can't think why the alarm would suddenly start playing up????

MonzaGSE

• Intermediate Member
  • Norway
    • 95 Opel Omega mv6
    • View Profile
Re: Alarm keeps going off so can't lock car..help!
« Reply #1 on: 26 July 2014, 19:27:02 »

To lock the car without alarm close the drivers door and open the back door and lock the drivers door from there if i remember correctly. As for your problem the usual culprit seems to be the bonnet switch. Ser if it is bent. Try disconnecting the bonnet switch and see if it helps. Also if its an estate the window sensors int the load area can act up. Try disconnecting these from the glass. Also the power sounder seems to make lots of problem for uk cars. I have no experience with this as other countries dont have it. But could try disconnecting it to. As failing power sounders have been known to set cars on fire. Lives under the scuttle. I would try disconnecting these things one at a time and check if the problem is solved.

LadyO

• Herts
    • Elite (3.0 v 6)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 July 2014, 19:34:16 »

Thanks for the advice - I'll try what you suggest tomorrow

What a brilliant forum - a helpful suggestion in less than half an hour !!! :y

alexw80

• Bognor Regis
    • P reg Omega 2.0 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 July 2014, 19:52:43 »

Yep, close drivers door and open back door, just push the button down on the drivers door to lock it. That's how I do mine. Just remember to make sure you've got the keys in your hand and not in the car when you lock it  ::)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 July 2014, 21:01:57 »

Half an hour for a reply ....... we're slacking!  ::) ::)

Bonnet switch is indeed a good bet for the alarm going off, especially in this weather. The only way to tell exactly what is upsetting the alarm is to get the car plugged into a Tech II (Vauxhall diagnostic gizmo)

LadyO

• Herts
    • Elite (3.0 v 6)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 July 2014, 21:38:51 »

Actually, the response was in less than 15 mins - how brill is that!  :y

Andy B - I notice you have the same year/ model as mine - 99 Elite - have you had problems with headlights fogging? Mine failed MOT despite us using the toothpaste trick , which really did improve them, now I have the halogens (fitted by a friend using a rinky-dink trick with a wire) I don't like the beam - have you ever heard of anyone successfully sourcing the Xenons? I tried breakers websites, e-bay , all the usual but no success.

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 July 2014, 22:05:59 »

Andy B - I notice you have the same year/ model as mine - 99 Elite - have you had problems with headlights fogging? Mine failed MOT despite us using the toothpaste trick , which really did improve them, now I have the halogens (fitted by a friend using a rinky-dink trick with a wire) I don't like the beam - have you ever heard of anyone successfully sourcing the Xenons? I tried breakers websites, e-bay , all the usual but no success.

:-[ :-[ :-[ errr ....... I sold it a few months ago ...... I'll have to edit my profile.

My car's head lights were a bit on the foggy side, but didn't have a problem with the MOT. I had a go with G3 polish which helped, but they could have been better.

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 July 2014, 09:00:51 »

To properly cure the headlight fogging, you can either source a good set of xenons or get a Maguires headlight restoration kit from Halfords (expensive for what it is). I borrowed a kit off a mate of mine and within half an hour I restored my headlights back to almost factory fresh, but they need re-doing again...

I have sourced a good pair of headlights where the headlight housing itself is rubbish BUT the lenses are 100% OK. I will be swapping the lenses on mine (not hard to do TBH if your wife/partner has a good hairdrier) as the headlight housing on mine has been converted to 'blackeye' and for the use of HID bulbs instead of the xenon bulbs ....
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 July 2014, 09:18:00 »

To properly cure the headlight fogging, you can either source a good set of xenons or get a Maguires headlight restoration kit from Halfords (expensive for what it is). I borrowed a kit off a mate of mine and within half an hour I restored my headlights back to almost factory fresh, but they need re-doing again...

I have sourced a good pair of headlights where the headlight housing itself is rubbish BUT the lenses are 100% OK. I will be swapping the lenses on mine (not hard to do TBH if your wife/partner has a good hairdrier) as the headlight housing on mine has been converted to 'blackeye' and for the use of HID bulbs instead of the xenon bulbs ....
Your contribution suggests you can change lenses with the headlight still in the car, using a hairdryer. I have removed lenses using an oven (to replace adjusters) but never imagined doing it with a hairdryer. Did you indeed do it with headlight in the car?

chrisgixer

« Reply #10 on: 31 July 2014, 06:00:50 »

Loads of posts on here about polishing head lights. Well worth a search. :y

Seen it done, works well.

And re bonnet switch, unplug the switch, if it behaves you have found the culprit, then try bending the bracket up to meet the bonnet and re connect the plug.
« Last Edit: 31 July 2014, 06:03:08 by ropeman »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.