Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: First car for a 19 year old  (Read 6607 times)

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
First car for a 19 year old
« on: 09 November 2014, 19:40:13 »

My lad (just 19 years old) is looking to learn to drive.

While he is learning, he is looking to buy himself a small car to practice with.
This will double up as a car for me to take the missus to work in because my 3.2 miggy is supping lpg at a alarming rate due to the short distance / not really warming up.

Not sure whether to go for petrol of diesel but looking at spending something in the region of 5 or 600 quid.
That way if he has a little prang, its not the end of the world.

Credit to the lad, he isn't bothered about the badge on the car.  He is more bothered about keeping the cost of the tax / insurance as low as possible.

I've got 10 years plus protected no claims so would it be better for me to insure it with his as a second driver  :-\
Would he be able to build up his no claims that way ?
Or would it be better for him to just bend over, bite the bullet and just pay up  ?

Opinions welcome  :)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: First car for a 19 year old
« Reply #1 on: 09 November 2014, 19:47:24 »

While he is learning, he is looking to buy himself a small car to practice with.
This will double up as a car for me to take the missus to work in because my 3.2 miggy is supping lpg at a alarming rate due to the short distance / not really warming up.

Not sure whether to go for petrol of diesel but looking at spending something in the region of 5 or 600 quid.

Credit to the lad, he isn't bothered about the badge on the car.  He is more bothered about keeping the cost of the tax / insurance as low as possible.

I've got 10 years plus protected no claims so would it be better for me to insure it with his as a second driver  :-\
Or would it be better for him to just bend over, bite the bullet and just pay up  ?

He will not build up any no-claims that way, as the policy is in YOUR name. To build a history the insurance has to be in HIS name. Best bet is to insure 3rd party fire, theft, only, but with YOU and possibly your other half (if they have a clean insurance record) as named drivers on his policy .. for some reason Insurance companies seem to like the idea of mum & dad being involved. Bite the bullet and start to build that history.....

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 November 2014, 19:51:36 »

Gotcha
Cheers Nige  :)

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 November 2014, 19:54:37 »

Anything small, low tax/insurance which is worth having will be either over budget, or overpriced (a car worth £450 priced at £700 because of the demand).

I'd be looking at an Astra G.  1.6 8v cars wear their mileage very well, mechanically.  The engines are extremely reliable if somewhat underpowered.... not necessarily a bad thing for a young, inexperienced driver.

Something like this, which is on their forecourt for £995.

£725 on The Trader.  http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201407286150177/sort/default/quicksearch/true/postcode/hu11tt/price-to/1000/page/2/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/make/vauxhall/model/astra/usedcars/radius/50?logcode=p

Personally, I'd avoid anything like a Saxo / 106 / Corsa.  Don't tend to be as cheap to insure as a boggo standard car from the model up, less comfortable..... and lets be fair, the 8v Vx engine can be worked on by a monkey and still work when you turn the key.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

05omegav6

« Last Edit: 09 November 2014, 19:58:44 by Taxi Al »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 November 2014, 20:11:46 »

He will not build up any no-claims that way, as the policy is in YOUR name. To build a history the insurance has to be in HIS name. Best bet is to insure 3rd party fire, theft, only, but with YOU and possibly your other half (if they have a clean insurance record) as named drivers on his policy .. for some reason Insurance companies seem to like the idea of mum & dad being involved. Bite the bullet and start to build that history.....

Direct Line claim to give named drivers a no claims discount just by being a named driver. In practice I doubt it works out cheaper in the long run  :-\

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 November 2014, 20:17:07 »

Most Insurance companies will give you a form of NCD for previous driving experience as a named driver.  It varies though.  Some will offer a 1yr ND for 3yrs as a named driver.  Each company will be different though.

My Brother's wife has been a named driver for over two decades (accident free).  She has just got herself her own insurance policy on their first second car (you may have to read that several times!).  Admittedly, it was with the same insurance company as the first policy, but she received full NCD.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 November 2014, 20:19:52 »

Al / Broomie

Must admit I like the idea of a little bit more metal between him and whatever he may hit, whether its a slightly larger car or something a little bit more substantial like the polo's  :-\

Really looking at insurance groups 1 - 3 to keep it as cheap as we can  :-\

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 November 2014, 20:20:55 »

Most Insurance companies will give you a form of NCD for previous driving experience as a named driver.  It varies though.  Some will offer a 1yr ND for 3yrs as a named driver.  Each company will be different though.

My Brother's wife has been a named driver for over two decades (accident free).  She has just got herself her own insurance policy on their first second car (you may have to read that several times!).  Admittedly, it was with the same insurance company as the first policy, but she received full NCD.
[/highlight]

kin ell  :o
What company was that  :o

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 November 2014, 20:33:33 »

[/highlight]

kin ell  :o
What company was that  :o

I have a feeling it was through Adrian Flux - Not sure of the underwriters.  I'll ask tomorrow and get back to you.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 November 2014, 20:53:08 »

Stretch the budget a bit and go for a 1.2 Corsa. Great little cars but I am biased. Any colour other than black as that will have been thrashed by another 19 year old
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 November 2014, 23:01:45 »

Remember, what ever you do with insurance, when he passes his test his insurance will go up! took us by surprise, but a no brainer really............. :D :D

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 November 2014, 23:55:43 »

Remember, what ever you do with insurance, when he passes his test his insurance will go up! took us by surprise, but a no brainer really............. :D :D

Yes indeed,our oldest lads cover doubled as soon as he passed his test,

You will find that a 1.0 Corsa or similar will be about all he can afford to cover unless he has a big pot of money,bigger engines and anything tdi will make yer eyes water :-X
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 November 2014, 08:11:56 »

........Best bet is to insure 3rd party fire, theft, only.........,

No point in doing that as difference between TPFT and fully comp is very minimal.

Might as well be fully covered for pulling the car out of the ditch a 19 year old is likely to stick it in, no point in 'losing' a £600 car for the sake of what is likely to be less than £100 extra on the insurance

:D ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 November 2014, 10:50:04 »

Here's my starter for £10...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000-VOLKSWAGEN-POLO-DIESEL-SALOON-1-9-TDI-WHITE-/201213968945?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2ed9498231

Ok, doesn't have to be this one... personal preference would be a G or H reg 1.0/1.3 :y

That said... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-Polo-1-0L-L-5-Door-Manual-Hatchback-1996-P-Blue-/121479426811?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item1c48bcf2fb :y

Now you see I would advise against a Polo as they have serious reliability issues and big ticket parts to address such issues.  :y
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.