Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: First car for a 19 year old  (Read 6690 times)

05omegav6

Re: First car for a 19 year old
« Reply #15 on: 10 November 2014, 10:53:14 »

My brother had an F reg one as his first car... rusty and faded, but utterly bombproof :y

Only issue was with the Carb wearing out, but easily sorted with one from a breaker...

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 November 2014, 10:59:53 »

I know this is going back a bit, but as mentioned previously a 1.0 12v Corsa, at the time was the cheapest car in the country to buy, insure and run over a 3 yr period, better than any Kia, Hyundai, etc... they're frugal, and dont tend to be thrashed (why buy a car with that engine size if you like to drive fast?) Also keeping it in the Vauxhall stable will help you no end.. Apparently, the 1.0 12v is basically half a 2.5 V6  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

RossPhim

• Morayshire, Scotland
  • The blue oval now-a-days!?!
    • 2.2 TDCi TXS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 November 2014, 11:05:05 »

We bought a old 54 plate Picanto for my eldest when she was learning to drive.
IIRC it was £30 RFD, of the year.
Just remember that your no claims bonus is meaningless as it's for your policy, which I assume you will be keeping on the MIG.
This will be an entirely new policy even in your name starting at 0 NCB. That bit took me by surprise.

She's 19 now and we upgraded it to a 11 plate just a few months back as we were so impressed with the first one.
She's happy as it's got more toys, and we're happy as this one is £0 RFD, the same and actually cheaper to insure in her own name as we've switched to a multi car policy!

Good luck with your search!
 :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10 November 2014, 11:10:13 »

My brother had an F reg one as his first car... rusty and faded, but utterly bombproof :y

Only issue was with the Carb wearing out, but easily sorted with one from a breaker...

Yes well there not 'F reg' ones any more are they.....and at that age they didn't even have servo brakes.  :(

Now you have the joys of shite small petrol engines with chain issues and bad gearboxes, electrical faults and numerous other bits.

The only reason why they were reliable years ago is they had zero features  ;D :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 November 2014, 11:12:16 »

I know this is going back a bit, but as mentioned previously a 1.0 12v Corsa, at the time was the cheapest car in the country to buy, insure and run over a 3 yr period, better than any Kia, Hyundai, etc... they're frugal, and dont tend to be thrashed (why buy a car with that engine size if you like to drive fast?) Also keeping it in the Vauxhall stable will help you no end.. Apparently, the 1.0 12v is basically half a 2.5 V6  :y

Beware with the 1.0 and 1.2 as poor servicing results in chain issues and HG failures.

They also suffer rain water leaks from the bulk head areas on BOTH sides so check carpets for wetness.

Other than that its the usual wear and tear stuff like springs, CV boots, CV boot retaining clips etc.

05omegav6

« Reply #20 on: 10 November 2014, 11:38:43 »

Yes well there not 'F reg' ones any more are they.....and at that age they didn't even have servo brakes.  :(

Now you have the joys of shite small petrol engines with chain issues and bad gearboxes, electrical faults and numerous other bits.

The only reason why they were reliable years ago is they had zero features  ;D :y
True enough ;D Not a bad place to start from though...

Jusme

• Omega Knight
  • North Hykeham, Lincoln.
    • Lexus LS430
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 10 November 2014, 11:40:26 »

Had the same decision to help with and was pushing him toward a......... Kia Rio.  :-[ :-[ Insurance is low, seem to be reasonably reliable? And there appears to be enough room in the back for....... 'what comes naturally', at that age especially.. Example.
Key facts
 •Petrol
 •Hatchback
 •Manual
 •86500 miles
Long MOT September 2015, Economical, Good intererior, blue, stereo cd/dvd, BLUE, Electric windows, Air conditioning, Height adjustable driver's seat, Folding rear seats, Child seat points (Isofix system), Power steering, Steering wheel rake adjustment, Central locking, Immobiliser, Driver's airbags. £485
Under-steer is when the front of the car hits the wall, and over-steer is when the rear of the car hits the wall.
Power is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how much of the wall you take with you.

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 10 November 2014, 20:12:03 »

Not that Mark needs my backup to be believed, but yes the early 2000s polos were absolutely shocking cars and very dear for parts. classic "oh that'll be £300 please" VW stylee.  >:(

Re insurance : If you're not the main driver of the car and you're the policy holder that's "fronting" and is illegal.  Expect the insurers to roll on you in the event of a claim.

I had an M-reg 306 Dturbo as my first car.  With hindsight I wish I'd had a late 80's/early 90's polo coupe or a BMW 316i saloon. Boat has been somewhat missed on those now  :-\
Omegatitis : [in remission]
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 10 November 2014, 20:59:57 »

I know a couple of people who have gone down the classic route for their young uns and got decent prices, not sure how but worked for them
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 11 November 2014, 13:51:10 »

Thanks for the info lads  :)

Omegod, that's a idea worth looking into  :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 11 November 2014, 14:22:24 »

It's painful at first, but I'm sure in the long run Gonads Jnr will be better off getting his own policy and start building up that NCB in his own right ASAP and of course Gonads Snr will be better off when he inevitably puts it in a ditch!  ::)  ;)  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 11 November 2014, 14:34:38 »

I think it stinks how much younger drivers are forced to pay.. on the other hand. If you're paying £2k for a car's insurance on a £500 banger.. you tend to really, really, really appreciate what you've got. The only exceptions are when it's not being paid for by the said new driver, but parents etc... not saying that's the case of all young drivers where the parents are paying the insurance, just the spoilt little rich kids, you know?

Just out of interest, what are the prices?
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

RossPhim

• Morayshire, Scotland
  • The blue oval now-a-days!?!
    • 2.2 TDCi TXS
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 11 November 2014, 20:03:44 »

Mine was around £650 whilst she was a learner, and they gladly emptied my wallet for another £360 ish on the day she passed her test to get us to the end of the first year, which was only 4 moths away!
Car was a Picanto GS 1.1, and couldn't pull the skin off a custard, which suited her as us just fine.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 11 November 2014, 21:40:03 »

I'll re-iterate.

Just because a car has a tiny engine doesn't mean it's cheap to insure.  Insurance Groups don't really give an idea either.

Get a quote on several vehicles and I'm sure you will be quite surprised.

I'll bet a 1.6 Astra G will be cheaper to Insure than a 1.0 Corsa (with a 3cyl engine which fails after 50k).

Likewise, a 1.4 Focus will be cheaper than a 1.1 Saxo.

Steal-ability, Crash-ability, The likelyhood of a teen owning one, there are many factors.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 20 November 2014, 19:36:04 »

A update on this
Now possibly looking at getting a small 2 seat van or maybe a astra van with rear seats in the back.
The idea is that a small van insured on a trade policy in the lads name (with me as named number 2 driver) will work out substantially cheaper then a car   :-\
At the end of the day, mini me is in his 2nd year as a painter and decorator and is looking to start doing some work of his own when he is not at collage.

This would also give him the opportunity to build up some no claims bonuses while he earns a little money and practice for his driving test  :-\

Opinions welcome  :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.