Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Computer tech question (Hardware)  (Read 2861 times)

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
Computer tech question (Hardware)
« on: 17 November 2014, 11:58:37 »

Hi all...

I have a computer, reasonable spec and run two monitors. I have just built another tower, reasonable spec again. I want to use both computers (independently) but I don't want to keep changing leads all the time. The second unit will be for Flight Simulator exclusively.
I already have two Ethernet cables and a dual mains splitter.
However, after trolling the net, it seems I need a thing called a KVM switch. I need someone to explain how all this works, what goes where, etc, in plain English. Remember its me you are talking too ;D
Basically I need both computers to run both monitors. One monitor has only a vga plug, the other has vga and dvi. Therefore, as the graphics card has both these outlets, I am running one monitor vga and the other dvi. The card in the new tower has both vga and dvi too.
I have seen these kvm things for two port or four port, whatever that is. I have seen single monitor ones, but I need both monitors. But I can't seem to find anything that explains how it all works, without getting technical. Budget is not massive !!!!
 I read a couple of reviews about a D Link one, and they slagged it !! So any suggestions on make and what I actually need given the information I have supplied :y

Thanks in advance
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Computer tech question (Hardware)
« Reply #1 on: 17 November 2014, 13:16:17 »

I've yet to see a dual monitor KVM.

Replace one of the monitors for one with DVI and VGA (like your other one), then plug:

PC1 > Monitor 1 VGA
          Monitor 2 DVI

PC2 > Monitor1 DVI
          Monitor 2 VGA

And use the monitor controls to swap the monitors.

Or use a KVM to control keyboard/mouse and Monitor 1, and use the monitor controls to flick between VGA and DVI on Monitor 2

Hope that makes sense.

I have a 16 port PS/2 KVM here you can have if you want it.  You can get different dongles for it for USB only machines, but they are hugely expensive.
Grumpy old man

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 November 2014, 13:34:36 »

Thanks TB....it does make sense. I think I will still need a KVM so the keyboard and mouse can be used.
Excuse my thickness, but does your kvm 16 port, mean you can connect 16 computers together.
If you think your spare/old unit will work for me, and price is ok, I'll take you up on your offer. I will search for a vga/dvi monitor.
I won't be in Brackley till early December, as we are in the tin tent till 30th November :y
Appreciated :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 November 2014, 14:58:29 »

The other thing to note about KVMs is that, if you feed analogue video (VGA) through them, in most cases, they do degrade the video quality a little. This might be an issue if you're using one of the machines for gaming, so you might want to do what TheBoy suggested and use dual input monitors. Your gaming machine could then use DVI into both monitors for best picture quality and the other machine could use analogue, as perhaps picture quality isn't such an issue.

Some sort of switch fro keyboard and mouse would still be needed. Could use a KVM for that, but without connecting the video, I suppose.

To be honest, it depends why you want a 2 machine setup in the first place, but an easier alternative might be to have a dual boot machine so you can separate your gaming environment from an "everyday" one.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 November 2014, 15:16:25 »

Kev....

The main reason is to get Flight Simulator on its own computer so all memory and cpu use can be lessened from use of other programs. FS uses a hell of a lot of VAS and normal memory, and cpu, come to that. I have loads of addons etc, scenery, aircraft airports,and terrain,
My computer is running W7 64bit as is the other computer. But there are loads of other programmes on this computer which all seem to slow up FS. I want to use scenery sliders at high settings. I appreciate that really high end cpu's and graphics cards are part of the answer, but the money pot has got a lock on it (swmbo) and prising the lid off is not happening :(

Jamie's idea sounds sensible.....mainly only simple cable expense, although I have loads of cables here. I just found this.... seems to be what is required for the full switchover....

http://uk.startech.com/Server-Management/KVM-Switches/2-Port-DVI-VGA-Dual-Monitor-KVM-Switch-USB-with-Audio-and-USB-20-Hub~SV231DDVDUA

Bit pricey, though :(

I assume Jamie's idea also means both computers have to be on at the same time, as I read it as the cards are 'cross monitoring' if that makes sense.  :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 November 2014, 17:26:08 »

Kev....

The main reason is to get Flight Simulator on its own computer so all memory and cpu use can be lessened from use of other programs. FS uses a hell of a lot of VAS and normal memory, and cpu, come to that. I have loads of addons etc, scenery, aircraft airports,and terrain,
My computer is running W7 64bit as is the other computer. But there are loads of other programmes on this computer which all seem to slow up FS. I want to use scenery sliders at high settings. I appreciate that really high end cpu's and graphics cards are part of the answer, but the money pot has got a lock on it (swmbo) and prising the lid off is not happening :(

Jamie's idea sounds sensible.....mainly only simple cable expense, although I have loads of cables here. I just found this.... seems to be what is required for the full switchover....

http://uk.startech.com/Server-Management/KVM-Switches/2-Port-DVI-VGA-Dual-Monitor-KVM-Switch-USB-with-Audio-and-USB-20-Hub~SV231DDVDUA

Bit pricey, though :(

I assume Jamie's idea also means both computers have to be on at the same time, as I read it as the cards are 'cross monitoring' if that makes sense.  :y

Okay.. but your requirements sound like they'd be equally solved by using a dual boot computer, unless you need to use both at the same time.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 November 2014, 17:31:50 »

Can you enlighten me as to what a dual boot system is, Kev ;D
Stabbing in the dark....is it two drives inside the computer with OS on both ?
« Last Edit: 17 November 2014, 17:33:28 by terbert »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 November 2014, 17:47:44 »

Can you enlighten me as to what a dual boot system is, Kev ;D
Stabbing in the dark....is it two drives inside the computer with OS on both ?
Not necessarily 2 drives, but does have to be 2 partitions IIRC with later versions of Windows.

At boot up, you get asked which Windows you want to boot, So effectively you can have one Windows purely for FS, and the other for general purpose.  Obviously you can only use one at a time, as you can only boot into one.

The KVM is yours if you want it. Its an Avocent DSR2010 or something like that (I'd need to find it to know exactly which model it is).  The adapters I have are PS/2 only, so if your PCs only have USB, you will need a USB to PS/2 adapter (ebay) for keyboard and mouse.
Grumpy old man

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 November 2014, 17:59:59 »

If my thoughts are correct in my last post, and you have to forgive my nievety, I have the following setup.....

There are 5 drives inside my original computer. Main drive is obviously 'C'. Flightsim is set up o 'E'. The next drive 'F' is an unused drive that has W7 32bit on it. I get the option of which to boot from during startup.
If I delete everything from the 'F' drive except Windows, and boot up from that, and put any shortcuts required from 'E' drive onto the desktop, will this new boot drive recognise 'E' drive, and all the computer resources, cpu, memory, etc etc just be used by these drives, with every thing else ignored ie: anything loaded on the original 'C' drive. I know that if the comp is booted from this second drive, the drive letters will change.

I hope this makes sense, as your suggestion does make sense :y

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 November 2014, 18:03:32 »

TB...sorry slow typing ;D

Sounds good to me, as whichever route I go...I can put the other computer into use in other ways, which would be great.
Both my comps are PS2, but I do have adaptors too.

I'll see you when I get back....and many thanks :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 November 2014, 18:07:44 »

If my thoughts are correct in my last post, and you have to forgive my nievety, I have the following setup.....

There are 5 drives inside my original computer. Main drive is obviously 'C'. Flightsim is set up o 'E'. The next drive 'F' is an unused drive that has W7 32bit on it. I get the option of which to boot from during startup.
If I delete everything from the 'F' drive except Windows, and boot up from that, and put any shortcuts required from 'E' drive onto the desktop, will this new boot drive recognise 'E' drive, and all the computer resources, cpu, memory, etc etc just be used by these drives, with every thing else ignored ie: anything loaded on the original 'C' drive. I know that if the comp is booted from this second drive, the drive letters will change.

I hope this makes sense, as your suggestion does make sense :y
Anything installed from one of the 2 Windows installations should have no impact of the other.

Sounds like you already have Dual Boot
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 November 2014, 18:09:43 »

TB...sorry slow typing ;D

Sounds good to me, as whichever route I go...I can put the other computer into use in other ways, which would be great.
Both my comps are PS2, but I do have adaptors too.

I'll see you when I get back....and many thanks :y
I'll dig it out :y. If it doesn't suit your needs, offer it around, as shame to just bin it - they were 'kin expensive when bought (about £4k a pop, plus £200 per dongle :o)
Grumpy old man

jimbobmccoy

• Intermediate Member
  • outer london
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 November 2014, 18:41:25 »

I've just skimmed this, so apologies if I've missed the point, but if you only want one box to run flight simulator on, why not have it networked to the other with some cat 5 and then connect nothing else to it. On your first machine leave everything as is, and then use rdp to connect to the flight sim machine as and when you want. This will be controlled using the keyboard and mouse on the original machine, and viewed in its monitors too.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 November 2014, 19:14:52 »

I've just skimmed this, so apologies if I've missed the point, but if you only want one box to run flight simulator on, why not have it networked to the other with some cat 5 and then connect nothing else to it. On your first machine leave everything as is, and then use rdp to connect to the flight sim machine as and when you want. This will be controlled using the keyboard and mouse on the original machine, and viewed in its monitors too.
RDP ain't gonna be up to the job.
Grumpy old man

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 November 2014, 14:30:50 »

RDP ain't gonna be up to the job.

Nowhere near up to the job, even on a local network the time lag will make the FS unusable
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.