Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just got a new Bosal exhaust  (Read 1535 times)

Teebee

• Intermediate Member
  • Slough
    • View Profile
Just got a new Bosal exhaust
« on: 25 June 2009, 12:34:22 »

Not sure if this info will help anyone but after looking at getting an exhaust online for £120+delivery I called my local (Slough) Protyre who quoted me £216 fully fitted vs £280 from the other big fitters.

As per the topic it was a Bosal and took them an hour and a half to fit. Liberal use of oxy meant that all bolts were removed intact and for good measure they ran taps through them again prior to fitting.

Obviously not as cheap as diy but a lot less hassle and more significantly 60 quid cheaper than any other fitter I called.

i260

• Newport, South Wales
    • View Profile
Re: Just got a new Bosal exhaust
« Reply #1 on: 26 June 2009, 01:08:37 »

Sorry? You could get one online so you opted to pay another hundred to get one from a local parts place? Wotz wrong with getting somewhere to fit the one you get online - I am! £150 all in for an Eternal fitted.

Have I missed something?
Saab 9-5 Aero 260ps

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 June 2009, 08:33:38 »

Not sure if this info will help anyone but after looking at getting an exhaust online for £120+delivery I called my local (Slough) Protyre who quoted me £216 fully fitted vs £280 from the other big fitters.

As per the topic it was a Bosal and took them an hour and a half to fit. Liberal use of oxy meant that all bolts were removed intact and for good measure they ran taps through them again prior to fitting.

Obviously not as cheap as diy but a lot less hassle and more significantly 60 quid cheaper than any other fitter I called.

How long!?!?

I fitted a cat back Bosal exhaust to a Senator a while back, just using ramps, took about 30 mins!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 June 2009, 08:34:41 »

As yes as above, why did you not buy online then get local place to fit?

Not that its very hard, putting an exhaust on is a piece of cake, having 2 people helps a LOT though.

feeutfo

« Reply #4 on: 26 June 2009, 09:38:09 »

tunnie if you can fit an omega v6 cat back system in half an hour, then i want to see you do it. On the drive with 4 seized cat bolts with the heads rotten away? Not a hope in hell. If the bolts came out no problem then yes you might do it in half an hour, might.....

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 June 2009, 09:45:51 »

tunnie if you can fit an omega v6 cat back system in half an hour, then i want to see you do it. On the drive with 4 seized cat bolts with the heads rotten away? Not a hope in hell. If the bolts came out no problem then yes you might do it in half an hour, might.....

Senator was straight 6, but yes done in 30 mins.

I did spray the bolts with WD40 every day for a week before it was removed, they were hard work to get out....

feeutfo

« Reply #6 on: 26 June 2009, 09:59:33 »

I did spray the bolts with WD40 every day for a week before it was removed, they were hard work to get out....

Not sure of the relevance tbh. He has an omega i beleive? Or have i missed something? :-)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 June 2009, 10:26:16 »

Not sure of the relevance tbh. He has an omega i beleive? Or have i missed something? :-)

Its same basic exhaust setup, just saying that zorst can be fitted in a 3rd of the time that dealer took at home.

I also fitted cat back exhaust to my dads 2.2, which is very similar to V6, it as twin centre sections, although only the 2 cat bolts to do.

Teebee

• Intermediate Member
  • Slough
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 June 2009, 14:16:46 »

If I take ebay as an example exhaust is £120, delivery £25, which leaves £71 diiference which I can attribute as 'fitting cost'. As I said if you allow that the guy spent a good deal of time with a torch on the flanges to avoid any bolts snapping and then retapped the holes for good measure I consider that a worthwhile expense. Oh and I toyed with getting my local mechanic to fit a bought one it but he still charges £40/hour I might have saved £31 or it might have cost me £9.

I do realise that part of the purpose of this forum is to encourage diy but for me while I could have managed the job I would potentially have had trouble with the siezed bolts and losing a days pay is much more expensive to me than paying a fitter. I also don't doubt there are a number of members unable to carry this work out theirself and hopefully they might benefit from a cheap(er) efficient fitting service.

Sorry if this sounds a bit high horse but I was only trying to help.

i260

• Newport, South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 June 2009, 18:22:21 »

I think that DIY'ing the exhaust would only be a good idea if the old one has only recently been put on and you are doing a genuine upgrade - I took one look at mine and threw the towel in and I HATE paying people to do stuff to my cars. £70 to fit an exh? My local independent asks £30 regardless of state of bolts.
Saab 9-5 Aero 260ps

feeutfo

« Reply #10 on: 26 June 2009, 19:24:47 »

I think that DIY'ing the exhaust would only be a good idea if the old one has only recently been put on and you are doing a genuine upgrade - I took one look at mine and threw the towel in and I HATE paying people to do stuff to my cars. £70 to fit an exh? My local independent asks £30 regardless of state of bolts.

What garage is that then? I would drive down the m4 and use him myself for that price? (on lpg mind)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.