Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changed Head Gaskets Now It Won't Start!  (Read 1286 times)

3.0V6Elite

• Salisbury
    • View Profile
Changed Head Gaskets Now It Won't Start!
« on: 22 March 2009, 19:05:36 »

After a week long battle I have finally finished installing the new head gaskets, oil cooler and cam belt to my 3.0 V6 Elite.

All went well apart from not tightening up the coolant bridge properly, which I noticed after putting coolant in and springing a leak  :-[. The problem I now have is that it won't start. She turns over fine and there are no faults coming up on the computer. I do however have an issue with electrics, in that 2 connections on the engine are now missing  :question.

The connections in question are these

And here is where they are in relation to each other

I now where one connection is, its here

and here

I have somehow managed to shear it off but can't find the other end. I know it is for the orange female connector pictured above because it fits like a glove, the thing is I found it at the back of the engine... don't ask! As to where the other connector is, your guess is as good as mine.

My question is, would the lack of anything on these connections stop the engine from starting, and are they supposed to connect to each other as they are both 3 pin?

philhoward

• Staffs
  • Love the engines, so put one in something else..
    • View Profile
Re: Changed Head Gaskets Now It Won't Start!
« Reply #1 on: 22 March 2009, 19:09:53 »

One is the throttle pot - and will probably upset it.  Not sure on the other one...hope for your sake it isn't the crank sensor..
Running an X30XE in a Reliant Scimitar GTE as I can't have an Omega as a company car...

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 March 2009, 19:12:48 »

One is the throttle pot - and will probably upset it.  Not sure on the other one...hope for your sake it isn't the crank sensor..

Throttle pot upsets the gearbox too and it will only drive in 3rd ...... well it did on mine when I left it off after my cam belt change.  ::)

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 March 2009, 19:30:20 »

Throttle boddies and looks like knock sensor. Im suprised there's no codes.
Retired

3.0V6Elite

• Salisbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 March 2009, 19:39:25 »

No, the crank sensor has been replaced recently.

Does anyone have any idea where the connector for the throttle bodies originates from as I can't find it anywhere?

3.0V6Elite

• Salisbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 March 2009, 21:12:42 »

On looking at my workshop manual CD the connection on the throttle body is for the throttle valve potentiometer, does anyone know where that connection originates?

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 March 2009, 21:24:55 »

Going of the top of my head here so bear with me...

The Rear Multi Ram Connection easily falls down the back

The connector on the front passenger side of the throttle body goes into the cable tray, the same place as that cable you have sheared, which looks like a knock sensor. I might have one of those but wont be able to get it until Wednesday.
Hope this helps
Daz :y  
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

3.0V6Elite

• Salisbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 March 2009, 21:32:16 »

Going of the top of my head here so bear with me...

The Rear Multi Ram Connection easily falls down the back

The connector on the front passenger side of the throttle body goes into the cable tray, the same place as that cable you have sheared, which looks like a knock sensor. I might have one of those but wont be able to get it until Wednesday.
Hope this helps
Daz :y  
That could help mate, I did have trouble finding the connection for the rear of the multiram but found it in the end, that was a 2 pin connector. I will have another look around for the connector for the throttle body but I have looked over and over and can't find it. As for the knock sensor, that does sound plausable but which one?

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 March 2009, 21:39:40 »

If you look from the front of your car into the engine area, right infront of the passenger cam cover there is a wire that runs in between the cam cover and Cambelt Housing Plate.. that is the one that seems you have sheared which should connect to the end of the wire tray. In that same wire tray there should be another wire which is quiet long that will plug into the throttle body :y
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

3.0V6Elite

• Salisbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 March 2009, 21:49:58 »

If you look from the front of your car into the engine area, right infront of the passenger cam cover there is a wire that runs in between the cam cover and Cambelt Housing Plate.. that is the one that seems you have sheared which should connect to the end of the wire tray. In that same wire tray there should be another wire which is quiet long that will plug into the throttle body :y
I am sure that that knock secsor is intact but I will check.

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 March 2009, 21:55:19 »

Well have a llok where the wire is then that goes infront on the passenger cam cover. At first glance I did think the connector you have cut was a crank sensor :-?

3.0V6Elite

• Salisbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 March 2009, 09:17:42 »

I managed to find the 2 offending wires this morning, I had inadvertantly connected the 2 wires together  [smiley=rolleyes.gif]. They are now connected to where they should be i.e. the left hand cam shaft knock sensor and the throttle valve potentiometer. However I have ran the battery down trying to start it yesterday so will not be able to try and fire it up until this evening after work.

Wish me luck  :y.

3.0V6Elite

• Salisbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 March 2009, 21:23:26 »

Well, charged the battery up this evening after work and was really looking forward to firing up the beast. Put the battery on with a big grin on my face, key went in the ignition and I tried to start it. It turns over really strong but will not fire up. Checked to see if I was getting a spark, nothing. Did the old paperclip test and am getting code 19. Am I right in thinking this is the crank sensor and if so would this explain not getting a spark? PLEASE HELP ME  :'(

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 March 2009, 21:36:37 »

Well, charged the battery up this evening after work and was really looking forward to firing up the beast. Put the battery on with a big grin on my face, key went in the ignition and I tried to start it. It turns over really strong but will not fire up. Checked to see if I was getting a spark, nothing. Did the old paperclip test and am getting code 19. Am I right in thinking this is the crank sensor and if so would this explain not getting a spark? PLEASE HELP ME  :'(

Most certainly yes ...  the system will not give a spark if it detects a problem .. and it doesn't know where the bits are in relation to each other if it doesn't know the rotational position of the crankshaft

Lots of threads about code 19 .. and a how to in the guides section... make sure you obey the instructions about the cable routing .. :y :y :y

HTH

3.0V6Elite

• Salisbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 March 2009, 22:48:30 »

That will probably explain why I found the sheared 3 pin plug at the back of the engine, it must have been from the crank sensor  ::).

colin951

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 30 March 2009, 11:10:37 »

Well done on the head gasket replacement. I had mine done recently at the garage and it ocassionally wont start. Did you get yours started eventually. I suspect a badly connected sensor or air pipe will stop thi scar from firing up, so your 'cut' senor leads will almost certainly stop it from starting. Let me know if you sorted it.

3.0V6Elite

• Salisbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30 March 2009, 19:39:42 »

Well done on the head gasket replacement. I had mine done recently at the garage and it ocassionally wont start. Did you get yours started eventually. I suspect a badly connected sensor or air pipe will stop thi scar from firing up, so your 'cut' senor leads will almost certainly stop it from starting. Let me know if you sorted it.
All sorted now mate and passed it's MOT today. It was the crank sensor after all that was stopping it from firing up. The sheared wire that I found at the back of the engine must have been from the old one that was originally removed. The sensor that was connected up had a mangled wire which was the problem. Once a new sensor was put on she fired up straight away and runs like a dream.  :y
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.