Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Running Car With No Oil?  (Read 3787 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Running Car With No Oil?
« Reply #45 on: 06 April 2009, 20:43:22 »

And annoyingly, I'm not allowed to touch hardware any more, despite the training. Apparently I'm too valuable to waste my time playing with hardware.

So with comments like that, who do they employ for hardware, and it would certainly answer the puzzle over the mess these servers get in once they have been attacked by the hardware 'engineers'

..so the hardware sits broken as you watch a succession of muppets trying to fix it?

I was thinking in particular about the guy from a well known online PC retailer who took the case off my PC, then replaced it and, upon hitting on the odd occasion when the intermittent fault would allow it to boot, pronounced that the problem must have been that the case was fitted wrongly since that was the only thing he had disturbed. ::)

I suppose, on the bright side, there is a glimmer of logic behind that diagnosis but unimpaired by the faintest clue how a PC works. >:(

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 06 April 2009, 20:49:54 »

just screw an old spark plug into the sump plug hole and refill with oil, very old trick !! :y
If you can find an older fat spark plug now....

nope it was acommon trick to do on the senny and GSi when rebuilding engines etc where after the initial drain you didnt want oil dripping out while you moved it around :y
The v6 sump plugs seem to be a bit bigger than omega spark plugs.  Used a spark plug in the tractor after that incident with the sump plug, but that had already been helicoiled
Grumpy old man

Richard148

• solihull. w,mids
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 06 April 2009, 21:35:29 »

.......  Helicoils are used in performance race cars as it provides a reliable and a strong thread....

Perhaps I should strip my engine down after each major use ....... they do on race cars!  ;)
Precisely - the fact they are stripped down time and time again shows the resilience of the helicoil!

You stick with your networks & I'll stick with Timecerts!  ;)  ;)  ;)
http://www.aircraftfast.com/inserts.htm

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 06 April 2009, 23:14:39 »

.......  Helicoils are used in performance race cars as it provides a reliable and a strong thread....

Perhaps I should strip my engine down after each major use ....... they do on race cars!  ;)
Precisely - the fact they are stripped down time and time again shows the resilience of the helicoil!

US aircraft obviously like to use Helicoils. I admit I've only ever fitted a andfull of them in my life, but IME the Helicoils I've come across have often unwound out of the helicoil tapped hole.  
I've had better results with the solid one piece Timecert thread repairs. What have you fitted them to where the slight expansion of the bottom of the insert has damaged the component? I've generally used them where I've repaired or beafed up a thread in ally.

Richard148

• solihull. w,mids
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 06 April 2009, 23:25:34 »

US aircraft obviously like to use Helicoils. I admit I've only ever fitted a andfull of them in my life, but IME the Helicoils I've come across have often unwound out of the helicoil tapped hole.  
I've had better results with the solid one piece Timecert thread repairs. What have you fitted them to where the slight expansion of the bottom of the insert has damaged the component? I've generally used them where I've repaired or beafed up a thread in ally.
some of the item Ive fitted them to are so delicate after stress and crack detection that if you dropped it from about 30 mill to your desk just put it in the bin scarp plus when hard anodised this can affect it to so off it all goes again to be xray-ed for material defects and sample pieces are sent to check the rockwell hardness

Richard148

• solihull. w,mids
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 06 April 2009, 23:28:59 »

some of the item Ive fitted them to are so delicate after stress and crack detection that if you dropped it from about 30 mill to your desk just put it in the bin scarp plus when hard anodised this can affect it to so off it all goes again to be x rayed for material defects and sample pieces are sent to check the Rockwell hardness
i think time-certs being solid are just to heavy as the coils we use are titanium set in beryllium

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 06 April 2009, 23:35:38 »

i think time-certs being solid are just to heavy as the coils we use are titanium set in beryllium

A completely different ball game then!  :y  :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 06 April 2009, 23:36:47 »

some of the item Ive fitted them to are so delicate after stress and crack detection that if you dropped it from about 30 mill to your desk just put it in the bin scarp plus when hard anodised this can affect it to so off it all goes again to be xray-ed for material defects and sample pieces are sent to check the rockwell hardness

They don't need to be delicate if they're painted Battle Ship Grey and are going to float!  ;D   ;D  ;D :y

Richard148

• solihull. w,mids
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 06 April 2009, 23:42:30 »

They don't need to be delicate if they're painted Battle Ship Grey and are going to float!  ;D   ;D  ;D :y
absolutely ;D :y

Richard148

• solihull. w,mids
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 06 April 2009, 23:47:28 »

these are the machines i work on to make these components
http://www.mazakusa.com/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 06 April 2009, 23:51:04 »

:y :y :y Closest I've got to that is a digital read out.

Mazak ..... isn't that the 'monkey metal' they made Morris Minor (etc) tail lamps out of?  ;D ;D ;D

Richard148

• solihull. w,mids
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 07 April 2009, 00:45:14 »

Mazak ..... isn't that the 'monkey metal' they made Morris Minor (etc) tail lamps out of?  ;D ;D ;D
check the machine out at work pure genius
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=139z62o6OhA

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 07 April 2009, 00:58:31 »

check the machine out at work pure genius
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=139z62o6OhA

Not bad I suppose   ::)  ::)  ::)
I reckon I could manage the first pieceon a centre lathe and a Bridgeport miller ...... eventually!  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Which is the B axis? I've only used X Y & Z

Richard148

• solihull. w,mids
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 07 April 2009, 01:05:00 »

Tool rotation

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 07 April 2009, 01:08:00 »

Tool rotation

Ah!  I saw 5 axis mentioned so what's the 5th?
« Last Edit: 07 April 2009, 01:08:14 by Andy_B »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.