Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: naughty me!!!  (Read 2690 times)

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • 2.0 insignia elite tourer
    • View Profile
naughty me!!!
« on: 30 September 2014, 16:52:13 »

Out today in the car and the check oil message came on the display. Got to where I was going and checked the oil like the car told me to and swmbo ;D

only to find out that there was no oil on the dipstick at all :)
Last time I checked it was about 2 months ago.

Filled it back up with almost 2 litres :o

would it be safe to say I may have a faulty sensor? Or do I need to get under the bonnet more and stop being so lazy ;D

Its a 2.2 petrol which I am aware the drink a bit of oil but not that much but has done 138000 miles

Lizzie_Zoom

Re: naughty me!!!
« Reply #1 on: 30 September 2014, 16:56:11 »

Out today in the car and the check oil message came on the display. Got to where I was going and checked the oil like the car told me to and swmbo ;D

would it be safe to say I may have a faulty sensor? Or do I need to get under the bonnet more and stop being so lazy ;D

Its a 2.2 petrol which I am aware the drink a bit of oil but not that much but has done 138000 miles

Well, you obviously have a serious oil leak so I would get that bonnet up and investigate why, where from, and form a works schedule!! :D :D ;)

First of the checks, have you blue smoke or any obvious drips coming from underneath the car? ??? ???

cnj

• Intermediate Member
  • ludgershall
    • 2.2 Manual CD(51 plate)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 September 2014, 17:12:14 »

my first 2ltr hardly used a drop of oil between oil changes, it then dropped a cam pulley which then resulted in a Vauxhall recon unit which worked on the principle of you poured it in the top and it slowly disappeared at a rate just slower than Vauxhalls cop out policy, should I say warranty. since purchased a 2.2ltr petrol which works on the same principle as the recon engine. my thoughts for what they're worth, is you take pot luck with what ever engine build state you have !

4x4

« Reply #3 on: 30 September 2014, 17:17:15 »

My 2.2 doesnt hardly use oil,only been topped up once about 2 months ago,and oil change done in past month,thats on 172k

Vicar

• staffs border
    • 2.0 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 September 2014, 17:48:41 »

Cam cover leak? :/

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 September 2014, 18:21:34 »

Well, you obviously have a serious oil leak so I would get that bonnet up and investigate why, where from, and form a works schedule!! :D :D ;)

First of the checks, have you blue smoke or any obvious drips coming from underneath the car? ??? ???
no signs of oil leak and I did cam gasket a few months ago. I do have a tiny bit of blue smoke on start up but not much at all tbh  :)

and I cleared out the breathers to :y

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #6 on: 30 September 2014, 18:35:22 »

no signs of oil leak and I did cam gasket a few months ago. I do have a tiny bit of blue smoke on start up but not much at all tbh  :)

Well you are certainly losing oil.  If no visible leak then I suggest it is being burnt; valve stem seals and piston rings used to be the favourite place to start looking ;)

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 September 2014, 18:54:29 »

Well you are certainly losing oil.  If no visible leak then I suggest it is being burnt; valve stem seals and piston rings used to be the favourite place to start looking ;)

Aye, what the good lady above says.  :'(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 September 2014, 19:13:35 »

You certainly shouldn't rely on the warning systems in place of doing normal weekly checks ;)
Grumpy old man

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 September 2014, 19:56:29 »

You certainly shouldn't rely on the warning systems in place of doing normal weekly checks ;)
I know that now ;D ;D ;D

going to see how many miles before I need to top up again :y

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #10 on: 30 September 2014, 21:14:27 »

I know that now ;D ;D ;D

going to see how many miles before I need to top up again :y

.....and make a habit of looking in your rear view mirrors and watch for blue smoke after you have de-accelerated then accelerated hard.  If you do not know already that will force oil past any weakness around the pistons, and to a lesser extent around the valve seats as the pressure in the engine decreases then quickly increases ;)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 September 2014, 21:22:30 »

A cheaper solution: Kwik-Fit will give you a free top-up of up to one litre, no other purchase necessary - although they did add two litres to my worn beast a few years back for no charge......

Ron.

chrisgixer

« Reply #12 on: 01 October 2014, 07:14:42 »

regular checks would tell you if this is a sudden loss, or just general oil use over a ling period. When did you last top it up?

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 October 2014, 07:25:59 »

regular checks would tell you if this is a sudden loss, or just general oil use over a ling period. When did you last top it up?
Probably when I checked it 2 months ago I can't remember

chrisgixer

« Reply #14 on: 01 October 2014, 07:33:14 »

Probably when I checked it 2 months ago I can't remember

A litre a month is excessive. (Although still witching vx's HUUUGE tolerances ;D )

Sounds like something's changed somewhere. Breathers clear?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.