Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Brand New Vauxhall At Cost Price Plus £1  (Read 4484 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Brand New Vauxhall At Cost Price Plus £1
« on: 09 September 2019, 13:24:49 »

I have just received a personalised invitation from my local Vx main dealer, who know me oh so well, to attend a special Trade UP event.

They say they will give me a "£4,000 guaranteed scrappage allowance" on a vehicle that I buy at cost Plus £1!

Oh the joy, the promise of being tied in to a finance deal for x-years for a tinny, unexciting, restricted "number of vehicles", non-Omega!! ::) ::) ::) :P

No thanks!! ;D ;D ;D ;)

What is the "Cost" value of a Vx car in percentage terms, on the list price, anyway?  Cost for the manufacturer, or the dealer - if the latter that means they make just £1 per car!  What rot! ::) ::) ;D ;D :)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Brand New Vauxhall At Cost Price Plus £1
« Reply #1 on: 09 September 2019, 13:30:36 »

They don't make much selling the car. Finance is preferred because their profit is known, guaranteed and good, and the idea is that they'll expect to see the car for servicing and whatever they can sell-up at the time - brakes, tyres etc. That's why oil or A/C treatments are so popular: buy them for £2 a can, charge £12 and the customer will never actually notice whether you used them or not. Which happens more than you'd like

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 September 2019, 13:40:36 »

They don't make much selling the car. Finance is preferred because their profit is known, guaranteed and good, and the idea is that they'll expect to see the car for servicing and whatever they can sell-up at the time - brakes, tyres etc. That's why oil or A/C treatments are so popular: buy them for £2 a can, charge £12 and the customer will never actually notice whether you used them or not. Which happens more than you'd like

Ah, that had crossed my mind.  It is now a strange world when retailing is not about the profit on the actual, physical, item sold, but on the finance provided.

Just proves to me again that, if you cannot afford to buy something, like a car, outright, then you are going to pay through the nose for inflated finance deals!!

I'll keep my Omega! ::) ::) :D :D ;)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 September 2019, 13:48:34 »

Ah, that had crossed my mind.  It is now a strange world when retailing is not about the profit on the actual, physical, item sold, but on the finance provided.

It's not just retail; when the big three US car manufacturers had their problems a few years ago, the General Motors board realised that they had turned into a finance company that was losing pots of money making cars.

STEMO

« Reply #4 on: 09 September 2019, 14:27:40 »

It's not on all models. I looked for another sports tourer, but no can do.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 September 2019, 14:28:12 »

It's not just retail; when the big three US car manufacturers had their problems a few years ago, the General Motors board realised that they had turned into a finance company that was losing pots of money making cars.

Was that when they had forgotten how to make cars that Americans wanted to buy? ::) ::) ;D ;D ;)

That must have been when Detroit went into shut down! :o :o

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 September 2019, 14:30:10 »

It's not on all models. I looked for another sports tourer, but no can do.

Oh no, it is only on those models that too few people are buying!

Now that in retailing I completely understand.   :D :D ;)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 September 2019, 14:34:48 »

So what is the 'at cost price' of Astra Elite, 1.6 Turbo Petrol? Compared to retail  :-\

Suppose that's not listed either and it's stuff like Mokka they are trying to flog.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 September 2019, 14:37:55 »

So what is the 'at cost price' of Astra Elite, 1.6 Turbo Petrol? Compared to retail  :-\

Suppose that's not listed either and it's stuff like Mokka they are trying to flog.

And Adam's!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 September 2019, 14:44:58 »

At cost is typically a 15-18% discount over retail and the basic flat fee to the dealer is generally included in that. The £1 bit is the profit over and above the basic wholesale price.

There money on these cars is on things like the finance and accessories, not to mention people through the door who are attracted by the headline prices but then actually end up buying the cars not in the promotions. On finance...
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

« Reply #10 on: 09 September 2019, 14:47:14 »

At cost is typically a 15-18% discount over retail and the basic flat fee to the dealer is generally included in that. The £1 bit is the profit over and above the basic wholesale price.

There money on these cars is on things like the finance and accessories, not to mention people through the door who are attracted by the headline prices but then actually end up buying the cars not in the promotions. On finance...
IIRC, you've got to take them on 6.5% finance.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 September 2019, 15:00:33 »

That could be a decent deal if say:

£20k Insignia, with ~4k off for say 20% to be an 'cost only'. Then another £4k for traded in Omega.

£12k for band spankers? I could be tempted with that, maybe next year though.

STEMO

« Reply #12 on: 09 September 2019, 15:09:39 »

£20k Insignia, with ~4k off for say 20% to be an 'cost only'. Then another £4k for traded in Omega.

Good luck with that one. You wouldn't get much of an insignia for £20K anyway, the list price (which we are using here) of my astra was over £26K.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 September 2019, 15:12:03 »

Good luck with that one. You wouldn't get much of an insignia for £20K anyway, the list price (which we are using here) of my astra was over £26K.

£26k for an Astra  :o

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 September 2019, 15:30:02 »

£26k for an Astra  :o

You could spend that on an Astra (go faster GTE/GSi/what ever it's called) and some years ago when I used to frequent my local Vauxhall dealer when I had my Omega ... & that was a good few years back now
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.