Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: windscreen wiper speed seams slow ?  (Read 3176 times)

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
windscreen wiper speed seams slow ?
« on: 01 March 2017, 15:35:49 »

I had my windscreen wipers on this morning and they don't seam as fast as the should be. they work but when on full speed they only seam to be a very little speed increase, were could the problem be, there is no clunking sounds and its a smooth movement across the screen just seam slow for the fasted speed. 

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: windscreen wiper speed seams slow ?
« Reply #1 on: 01 March 2017, 15:52:47 »

Depends what you're used to I guess... but carry out an electrical check as per the starting/charging guide just to be sure the alternator and battery are up to scratch as I would wager that you had the heater blower, headlights and heated rear window all on ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 March 2017, 16:17:44 »

The slow speed and fast speed of the motor is acheived by the motor itself not by any resistors in line or anything like that .it is done by having a fixed brush for the negative and two seperately positioned brushes for the slow and high speed.effectively feeding the motor commutator in two  different places. If you put a voltmeter to the motor you should have a definate 12-14v on one wire when on slow and a definate 12-14v on another wire when on high speed.if these voltages check out ok then its a motor dismantle and check brushes/ clean comm job. Although a lubrication of all the arms, linkages, pivots is worth a try first

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 March 2017, 16:42:25 »

But if it has to compete for current from a weak alternator then it will struggle on either speed ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 March 2017, 16:43:03 »

Wiper motors themselves are pretty bombproof on these :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 March 2017, 16:49:16 »

Might be worth taking out the wiper mechanism (remove scuttle panel, then it's only about 4 self tappers and some wiggling and cursing IIRC.) and checking that the linkages move freely. Pop each ball joint off, clean them and give them a smear of fresh grease and check the wiper hubs rotate freely.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 March 2017, 17:09:13 »

Ive fitted an new battery and alternator last month, it was faster a few weeks back. ive had a look at the motor and it looks like there is a box where the wires go in. ? but i think i will have to change motor. i had a go at stopping the wipers  with hand and it just stops, so if its bushes in the motor think they must be worn down. can you replace the bushes or will it be another motor ? its all greased up on the link joints. 

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 March 2017, 17:11:45 »

Time well tell..

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 March 2017, 17:33:28 »

If the motors are reliable, as Doctor G suggested, then a quick trip to the breakers could be worthwhile; saves a lot of aggro trying to repair/refurbish your present one.

Ron.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 March 2017, 17:47:41 »

What he said ! . But also as mr gollum said check battery and alternator are working correct first. Then try a volt test at wiper motor plug and you should get similar. If all checks out a s/h motor could be the way to go. Might be able to get motor out with mechanism in place.centre spindle and 3 bolts if i recall ?

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 March 2017, 18:40:24 »

Might be worth taking out the wiper mechanism (remove scuttle panel, then it's only about 4 self tappers and some wiggling and cursing IIRC.) and checking that the linkages move freely. Pop each ball joint off, clean them and give them a smear of fresh grease and check the wiper hubs rotate freely.

^^^ This!

If there are rusty water marks near the drivers side hub it'll need the above doing plus a good blast of wd40 / GT85 / equivalent on the hub then some proper lubricant when it moves freely.

I've had one seize up after going slower for a few days... not fun in the rain!

Watch out for scratching the drivers side wing when removing the wiper mechanism.

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 March 2017, 19:28:29 »

i will have a look tomorrow. alternator is giving out 14.2 volts according to the meter reading, and not much drop in power when the motor is engaged, when back wiper comes on it drops more than front.. but rear motor was change a month ago as the nut snapped off when i dride to remove the arm as it was rusted up. that motor was off a 1999 model.

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 March 2017, 15:23:41 »

Ive had battery checked and electrics checked at garage and says the motor is on its way out, so just ordered a full windscreen wiper unit £25. should be here in a few days, says its reconditioned old stock. so hopefully this works fine for the summer rain we be having.  :D   

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 March 2017, 00:32:28 »

well i have the replacement unit, says with paper work its had new bushes fitted. 5.5mm 4.0mm 12.75mm. replaced bearings and ball cups. so packed the ball cups with some grease and fitted together. but was going to fit it to day(sat) but been bizzy at work so will have to be later today (sunday). as long as the weather is nice. :y

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 March 2017, 21:47:31 »

The slow speed and fast speed of the motor is acheived by the motor itself not by any resistors in line or anything like that .it is done by having a fixed brush for the negative and two seperately positioned brushes for the slow and high speed.effectively feeding the motor commutator in two  different places. If you put a voltmeter to the motor you should have a definate 12-14v on one wire when on slow and a definate 12-14v on another wire when on high speed.if these voltages check out ok then its a motor dismantle and check brushes/ clean comm job. Although a lubrication of all the arms, linkages, pivots is worth a try first
Thanks for that explanation, cam in head. I have often wondered why there were so many wires in the connector. I have had several failures with wiper motors and linkages, mainly annoying squeaks, easliy cured by changing wiper motor assemblies with spares harvested from scrapped Omegas. I have recently learned (thanks Nick W) to tape the offside wing to avoid paint damage.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.