Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tesco Hudl Tablet - A Question  (Read 12438 times)

Rog

Tesco Hudl Tablet - A Question
« on: 25 September 2013, 13:53:07 »

I've resisted joining the iPad/Tablet fad, however I notice that Tesco are soon bringing out an Android Tablet. See below

http://www.tesco.com/direct/hudl

I notice that it does NOT have G3/G4 connectivity or a SIM slot. However it does have a USB port.

I would only be interested in this if I could get mobile internet. Does anyone know if it may be possible to plug a mobile internet dongle into the USB port and make it work ? I know that this model is not actually available yet, but what about other Android tablets ? 

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Tesco Hudl Tablet - A Question
« Reply #1 on: 25 September 2013, 14:27:51 »

Never found it an issue, I just use tethering on my smart phone and use it as a wifi hotspot

Rog

« Reply #2 on: 25 September 2013, 14:50:15 »

Never found it an issue, I just use tethering on my smart phone and use it as a wifi hotspot

Well ok, but why not just use the smartphone ? Why have the tablet at all ? Nah, I couldn't be arsed to do that regardless of how easy it is. I would want Tablet to have its own connection.

Also another issue is that I would want to use it in a remote area (West Wales), mainly just for email. My phone is with O2 that has almost non existent coverage in this area, but Tmobile is good. I can't switch just yet.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 September 2013, 15:05:15 »

In which case you have an issue then!

Lets be realistic, how often do you not have your phone with you, hence the solution re tethering works well and the tablet is able to do what it does best thanks to larger screen etc. Whats more, you can position the phone where reception is best and still sit in comfort with the tablet.

It would still be cheaper to buy a second hand smart phone and a T-mobile sim than get a sim enabled tablet.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 September 2013, 15:39:01 »

Plus you've got a second mobile phone contract / PAYG SIM to pay for just for a SIM that sits in your tablet (as I guess you won't be using it as your main phone, and swapping SIMs around is too much of a faff).
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Rog

« Reply #5 on: 25 September 2013, 17:24:07 »

Plus you've got a second mobile phone contract / PAYG SIM to pay for just for a SIM that sits in your tablet (as I guess you won't be using it as your main phone, and swapping SIMs around is too much of a faff).

Errrrr, I'm sort of already doing that. I have already have a SIM for Mobile Internet that I use with my mini size laptop. I'm thinking of the tablet as a kind of laptop replacement.

But coming back to my question, regardless of finances etc. I can't plug my SIM/Dongle into the tablet USB port then ? possibly using a short USB extension cable.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 September 2013, 18:10:47 »

Errrrr, I'm sort of already doing that. I have already have a SIM for Mobile Internet that I use with my mini size laptop. I'm thinking of the tablet as a kind of laptop replacement.

But coming back to my question, regardless of finances etc. I can't plug my SIM/Dongle into the tablet USB port then ? possibly using a short USB extension cable.

The problem your going to have is installing the Drivers, the Dongles Drivers will be for MS, second issue is Installing the Dash Board Software to use the Dongle, although you can get around this by creating your own *99# Dial Up Connection and correct APN Settings.

Out of interest whilst talking about T Mobile, with any T Mob PAYG Sim you can buy 6 months of Internet for a £20 add on.

05omegav6

« Reply #7 on: 25 September 2013, 18:12:41 »

Dongles are geared towards laptops, so not really :-\

Tablets are great as portable entertainment devices, but aren't a replacement for a working computer regardless of what the nice youngster in the crapple shop might tell you ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 September 2013, 18:16:17 »

No, its unlikely that the Tesco abortion of Android will support USB dongles. Lets face it, no other Android device does.

For my tablets and laptops, when out and about, I use a MiFi unit. Hauwei 586 IIRC.
Grumpy old man

Rog

« Reply #9 on: 26 September 2013, 09:51:30 »

No, its unlikely that the Tesco abortion of Android will support USB dongles. Lets face it, no other Android device does.

For my tablets and laptops, when out and about, I use a MiFi unit. Hauwei 586 IIRC.

That pretty much looks like my answer  :y Thanks

AndyRoid

• Hants
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 September 2013, 16:07:32 »

Some tablets (eg, Nexus 7) will work with some USB dongles, but you need root access.

bago

• Leicester
    • face lift 2.5 Elite bus
    • View Profile

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 September 2013, 18:19:51 »

Some tablets (eg, Nexus 7) will work with some USB dongles, but you need root access.
But would you want a rooted tablet on the internet, for all to abuse?
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.