Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: new head unit  (Read 7819 times)

b4ndit

• Omega Knight
  • chester
  • Retired
    • VW Phaeton
    • View Profile
new head unit
« on: 02 December 2018, 19:28:08 »

I am after some advice please. i am thinking of changing the head unit on my omega it has a bose set up what do i need to replace is it just the head unit or everything including pulling out the phone unit as well any help appreciated
thanks
Terry

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Re: new head unit
« Reply #1 on: 02 December 2018, 19:38:26 »

Everything will have to be pulled, Head Unit, Screen, Bose Amp (If you want to get the space back), Bose Loom can also stay to save pulling apart trim but will need unplugging and a 'loopback' plug plugging into the drivers footwell kick-panel plug and finally you'll need to replace the speakers.

What's wrong with the current unit? Presumably NCDC2015 if you have a telematics unit?

b4ndit

• Omega Knight
  • chester
  • Retired
    • VW Phaeton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 December 2018, 19:45:09 »

nothing wrong with the unit in it just wanted to update to something a bit more up to date  seems like a lot of faffing about will have to have a thing about it thanks for the reply :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 December 2018, 21:28:08 »

Tapping into the CDC audio lines is easy enough and can be done to suit your needs  :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

b4ndit

• Omega Knight
  • chester
  • Retired
    • VW Phaeton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 December 2018, 21:57:33 »

Thanks DG will look into it :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 December 2018, 17:43:42 »

Tapping into the CDC audio lines is easy enough and can be done to suit your needs  :y
But the impedence is wrong, so you ideally need a matching circuit.  Even I notice, despite being half deaf and completely tone deaf.
Grumpy old man

b4ndit

• Omega Knight
  • chester
  • Retired
    • VW Phaeton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 December 2018, 18:05:34 »

But the impedence is wrong, so you ideally need a matching circuit.  Even I notice, despite being half deaf and completely tone deaf.
;D ;D ok maybe give it a miss then sounds like to much hassle :y

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 December 2018, 18:54:24 »

Depends what Audio Source your pumping into it, if its a proper Pre Amp Audio level then its not too far of the mark, so modern RCA type level should be ok if not a bit high, level wise, which is good in a way as it means you pad the input with a 2k to 10k Pot and try and keep the input resistance above 1k.

If your feeding the input from a iCrap, Phone, headphone output then its going to be all over the place, so more of a case of think of number, divide by 10, multiply by 2, then down the Pub to discuss with your Techie mates, Bobs your Uncle.  ;D

b4ndit

• Omega Knight
  • chester
  • Retired
    • VW Phaeton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 December 2018, 19:02:52 »

Depends what Audio Source your pumping into it, if its a proper Pre Amp Audio level then its not too far of the mark, so modern RCA type level should be ok if not a bit high, level wise, which is good in a way as it means you pad the input with a 2k to 10k Pot and try and keep the input resistance above 1k.

If your feeding the input from a iCrap, Phone, headphone output then its going to be all over the place, so more of a case of think of number, divide by 10, multiply by 2, then down the Pub to discuss with your Techie mates, Bobs your Uncle.  ;D
;D ;D yeah think i will still give it a miss sounds like to much bother :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 December 2018, 19:36:40 »

No issues here running another head unit into it, but it does cost you the glovebox...
Onanists always think outside the box.

b4ndit

• Omega Knight
  • chester
  • Retired
    • VW Phaeton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 December 2018, 20:04:59 »

No issues here running another head unit into it, but it does cost you the glovebox...
don't use the glovebox as there's not much room in there anyway :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 December 2018, 15:42:42 »

I've fitted an Aux in to my NCDC 2013 in the 3.2, I personally find the audio fine.

My Omega is 15 years old and has wind noise and engine noise to match, so don't personally find any impedance issues.

I use an iPhone with Spotify linked up, music turned up sounds far, far better than radio and make full use of Bose and bass. Huge improvement.

b4ndit

• Omega Knight
  • chester
  • Retired
    • VW Phaeton
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 December 2018, 15:54:20 »

I've fitted an Aux in to my NCDC 2013 in the 3.2, I personally find the audio fine.

My Omega is 15 years old and has wind noise and engine noise to match, so don't personally find any impedance issues.

I use an iPhone with Spotify linked up, music turned up sounds far, far better than radio and make full use of Bose and bass. Huge improvement.

thanks idea's :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 December 2018, 17:13:28 »

As Zirk says, the iPhone is particularly shite at directly pumping in music.  The tones aren't massively out (to my tone deaf ears), still noticeable, but the volume levels are complete wank.

You need the iPhone at absolute full volume, and the stereo cranked up a bit to make it audible.  And then shit yourself if you have a travel announcement or satnav come through.
Grumpy old man

b4ndit

• Omega Knight
  • chester
  • Retired
    • VW Phaeton
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 December 2018, 17:49:49 »

As Zirk says, the iPhone is particularly shite at directly pumping in music.  The tones aren't massively out (to my tone deaf ears), still noticeable, but the volume levels are complete wank.

You need the iPhone at absolute full volume, and the stereo cranked up a bit to make it audible.  And then shit yourself if you have a travel announcement or satnav come through.

;D ;D ;D ;D thanks TB
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 21 queries.