Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Fed up of people tailgating you?  (Read 2236 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Fed up of people tailgating you?
« on: 22 January 2013, 17:23:53 »

I reckon one of these'd make 'em think twice. ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=L_CnvRufT7c
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

feeutfo

Re: Fed up of people tailgating you?
« Reply #1 on: 22 January 2013, 17:34:29 »

WTF is that all about? ;D

I hope he balanced it with similar weight at the font, or it'll be digging holes in the road on pull away. ;D

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #2 on: 22 January 2013, 17:49:06 »

Looks like a motor out of a Boeing Stearman, but will it fly?

One way of dealing with tailgaters is to incorporate a switch to allow brake lights to be switched on manually - switch em on and accelerate away from the guy standing on his brakes.  Had that system on my MGB engined Riley 1.5 years ago - managed to get a few of them to lock up!!
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

feeutfo

« Reply #3 on: 22 January 2013, 17:56:57 »

Tailgaters have their uses, if you need a new exhaust. :-X

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 January 2013, 18:08:10 »

One way of dealing with tailgaters is to incorporate a switch to allow brake lights to be switched on manually - switch em on and accelerate away from the guy standing on his brakes.  Had that system on my MGB engined Riley 1.5 years ago - managed to get a few of them to lock up!!

twin rear fogs has been known to do similar ::)
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

omega3000

« Reply #5 on: 22 January 2013, 18:57:33 »

Oh i do like that  ;D

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #6 on: 22 January 2013, 19:56:45 »

twin rear fogs has been known to do similar ::)

Unfortunately the old trick of turning on lights or fogs doesn't always work - a lot of these guys are wise to this.  But brake lights are brake lights  ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Brikhead

• Omega Knight
  • West-Mids.
  • Sleeping. Do not disturb.
    • 2003 chitroen Saxo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 January 2013, 21:05:25 »

I often need to lightly apply left foot to the brake pedal, just enough to turn the lights on, occasionally have to tap the pedal too so as the brake lights flash...

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 January 2013, 22:36:10 »

Reckon that I could shoe-horn one of them into our VW Caddy van.
Emissions might be a problem though! ;D
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 January 2013, 22:46:21 »

Starting procedure is a pain though .. if you watch the vid you'll see how he turns it over a fair few times before allowing it to fire .... normal procedure on a radial engine as the lower cylinders have a tendency to fill with oil if left standing ... :)  The Rolls Royce Hercules Radial (18 cylinders in 2 banks of 9) fitted to the Vickers Varsity - that I did my basic training on - had a decompression device that you operated and then turned the engine over 9 complete revolutions in order to expel any oil before making any attempt to start it !!

:)

omega3000

« Reply #10 on: 22 January 2013, 23:11:02 »

Starting procedure is a pain though .. if you watch the vid you'll see how he turns it over a fair few times before allowing it to fire .... normal procedure on a radial engine as the lower cylinders have a tendency to fill with oil if left standing ... :)  The Rolls Royce Hercules Radial (18 cylinders in 2 banks of 9) fitted to the Vickers Varsity - that I did my basic training on - had a decompression device that you operated and then turned the engine over 9 complete revolutions in order to expel any oil before making any attempt to start it !!

What happens if you dont dump the oil  :-\ Is that why the one in the clip was smoking for a bit .

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 January 2013, 23:32:00 »

What happens if you dont dump the oil  :-\ Is that why the one in the clip was smoking for a bit .

At worst .. a hydraulic lock in the cylinder which put simply .. wrecks the engine totally

At best .. yup a very smoky engine as it burns off .. :)

You might think the hydraulic lock would simply stop the starter turning the engine .. but the problem is, without the decompresssion device being activated any one of the other 17 cylinders might fire, and the engine tries to run with one cylinder full of oil .. just doesn't happen and the cylinder head flies off and/or the crank gets bent, as well as much ancilliary damage ... :(

And before anyone asks .. NO .. I never did it ... I did several other stupid things .. but never that one !!!
« Last Edit: 22 January 2013, 23:36:18 by Entwood »

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 January 2013, 23:52:05 »

At worst .. a hydraulic lock in the cylinder which put simply .. wrecks the engine totally

You might think the hydraulic lock would simply stop the starter turning the engine .. but the problem is, without the decompresssion device being activated any one of the other 17 cylinders might fire, and the engine tries to run with one cylinder full of oil .. just doesn't happen and the cylinder head flies off and/or the crank gets bent, as well as much ancilliary damage ... :(

And before anyone asks .. NO .. I never did it ... I did several other stupid things .. but never that one !!!

Interesting stuff indeed, but what (grade/spec) oil did these engines use Nige?

Only askin' 'cos oil is compressible rather than a fluid which is ... er ... non-compressible :-\
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 January 2013, 23:54:08 »

Interesting stuff indeed, but what (grade/spec) oil did these engines use Nige?

Only askin' 'cos oil is compressible rather than a fluid which is ... er ... non-compressible :-\

Sorry mate .. oil IS a fluid and is incompressible ... otherwise your brakes (hydraulic oil) would never work !!

Cannot remember the grade of oil from that far back .. it was in 1970 !!! 

05omegav6

« Reply #14 on: 23 January 2013, 10:16:05 »

Don't tell me that you pressed the big red button :o

You know, the one that the instructor said to never press whislt on the ground? ::)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 21 queries.