Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: can some one pls explain Xenon to me  (Read 2738 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: can some one pls explain Xenon to me
« Reply #15 on: 03 February 2008, 19:58:45 »

HIDs are another name for xenons

Projectors are for halogens, the projector headlights where fitted from mini-facelift onwards and use halogen bulbs.

Tunnie. My Mig has what i would best describe as clear plastic lenses, but with what look like magnifying glasses & the dip & main beam are separate lenses, they shine with a blue top to the beam with rainbow colours too, the cut off from the beam is definite. My Migs a CD on an 02 reg. Would you know by my decription as to what they are or would someone have some pix they could post of the different lights  :y

that sounds like a Xenon/HID

Does the car have headlamp washers?

No  :-[ The side lights are in the main beam side though if this casts any ideas

What spec is your car? GLS or CD?

CDX / Elite's have HID's and as Jay says headlight washers.

The light will have a purple tinge and be more like day-light and normal car lights.

My Migs a CD, yes it does have a purple tinge & it is like day light. I'll take some pix & post them, infact i'm gona take pix of the whole car when the weather picks up

Humm usual CD spec is projectors. Did you buy second hand? someone could have fitted chav me fake HID's

No washer jets on the front bumper?  :-/

Yes 2nd hand. Just been out to the garage, she has the little wheel for manual adjustment. The plot thickens  :-/

My halogens have the little dial for adjustment.....

I am 99% sure you have halogens, but someone has fitted chav me xenon type bulbs... or 'blue' blubs.

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03 February 2008, 19:59:15 »

Well it ain't factory fit HIDs then, so either its got an aftermarket HID kit or it could be some of those uprated halogen bulbs?
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03 February 2008, 19:59:49 »

Ok......Xenon is a gas, nothing more and what more it can be used in Halogen bulbs and discharge bulbs. There are a fair few sellers out there exploring this fact and confusing quite a few people!

Halogen bulbs are standard filament bulbs that we all know and love/hate.

Discharge bulbs are similar to flourescent lights (flourescent bulbs do have a discharge in them) and dont require a hot wire to produce the light.

Interestingly (or not!), Halogen bulbs are not realy Halogen anymore, the name comes from the early bulbs of the type that used quartz/iodine as part of the material and Iodine is one of the series of Halogens from the periodic table and the name stuck.

So, you have two types of bulb.

Halogen - Hot filament type

High Intensiy Discharge (HID) - discharge lamp.

To tell what type you have, look at the head light switch, if you have a dial that allows you to adjust headlight aim, you have Halogen lights, if you dont you have HID's.

HIDs have the big advantage of outputing upto 3 times the light with less pwoer input. Also, because they dont get nearly as hot as filament lamps, they last MUCH longer in fact thelife is more dependent on the number of times they are turned on and off!

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 03 February 2008, 19:59:54 »

Projectors are for halogens, the projector headlights where fitted from mini-facelift onwards and use halogen bulbs.

Tunnie. My Mig has what i would best describe as clear plastic lenses, but with what look like magnifying glasses & the dip & main beam are separate lenses, they shine with a blue top to the beam with rainbow colours too, the cut off from the beam is definite. My Migs a CD on an 02 reg. Would you know by my decription as to what they are or would someone have some pix they could post of the different lights  :y

No  :-[ The side lights are in the main beam side though if this casts any ideas

The light will have a purple tinge and be more like day-light and normal car lights.

My Migs a CD, yes it does have a purple tinge & it is like day light. I'll take some pix & post them, infact i'm gona take pix of the whole car when the weather picks up

Humm usual CD spec is projectors. Did you buy second hand? someone could have fitted chav me fake HID's

No washer jets on the front bumper?  :-/

Yes 2nd hand. Just been out to the garage, she has the little wheel for manual adjustment. The plot thickens  :-/

sounds like projectors with 4000k bulbs then..

get some piccys of the light as it hits a wall or garage door

Minispud

• Intermediate Member
  • Banbury, Oxfordshire
  • Ride hard with Passion
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 February 2008, 20:38:20 »

Got any Snow up there  ;) if so keep it

Minispud, Upper Heyford, that sounds really familiar. I used to live near Burford. Is it close by???

Upper Heyford is north of Oxford approx 13 miles, Burford is what 19 miles approx west of Oxford, so yes, they are both in Oxfordshire  ;D ;D about 25 miles as the Crow flies, that's if your a Crow  ;D ;D
D.A.R.N.A Cycles.   Ride with Passion in your Heart

waspy

« Reply #20 on: 03 February 2008, 20:51:01 »

Ok. Iv'e just been looking at other Migs on the forum.
All of which are Elite's & CDX's, they have the same headlights as my CD, so it would seem that someone has been messing.
I know for sure she was a Vauxhall Managers car 1st & she's had a new wing, bumper & near side headlight.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03 February 2008, 20:58:38 »

waspy

« Reply #22 on: 03 February 2008, 21:16:01 »

ok these are projector headlights:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-OMEGA-B-CLEAR-PROJECTOR-HEADLIGHT-SET-94-99_W0QQitemZ160202847992QQihZ006QQcategoryZ23009QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

HID's look exactly the same from the outside....

So if their the same on the outside, it's only the bulbs that make the difference :exclamation :exclamation

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03 February 2008, 21:24:20 »

ok these are projector headlights:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-OMEGA-B-CLEAR-PROJECTOR-HEADLIGHT-SET-94-99_W0QQitemZ160202847992QQihZ006QQcategoryZ23009QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

HID's look exactly the same from the outside....

So if their the same on the outside, it's only the bulbs that make the difference :exclamation :exclamation
No, the units are different, but look identical from the front.  Headlamp washers are the giveaway (excl pre 98 Elites), no level adjustment on headlight switch, and level sensors on nsf and nsr suspension arms

As std:
All pre 98 cars used Reflector Halogens
Post 98 prefacelift MV6 (plod and retail) and Elites used HIDs, overs used Projector Halogens
Facelift MV6,CDX and Elites used HIDs, others used Projector Halogens.
« Last Edit: 03 February 2008, 21:25:09 by TheBoy »
Grumpy old man

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 03 February 2008, 21:26:41 »

Omega Xenon HID bulb:

Alas, no more Omegas....

waspy

« Reply #25 on: 03 February 2008, 21:32:28 »

Ok thank you chaps. I'll pop a bulb & see what i have  ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 03 February 2008, 21:40:06 »

If you have HIDs, the cabling going to dipped beam will look like a HT lead from ballast to headlight
Grumpy old man

waspy

« Reply #27 on: 03 February 2008, 21:41:53 »

If you have HIDs, the cabling going to dipped beam will look like a HT lead from ballast to headlight

Ok  :y

zywiec

• Cambridge
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 03 February 2008, 21:59:34 »

ok i thought i would let the thread run but still confused about the difference between projector and halogen. Projector use halogen bulbs but what makes them different from the old style normal halogen.

Questions about HID's/Xenon all around the head light there is the lightning high voltage symbol on a yellow sticker and the bulb is covered with torx screws and a real PITA to get at.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 03 February 2008, 22:03:23 »

ok i thought i would let the thread run but still confused about the difference between projector and halogen. Projector use halogen bulbs but what makes them different from the old style normal halogen.

Questions about HID's/Xenon all around the head light there is the lightning high voltage symbol on a yellow sticker and the bulb is covered with torx screws and a real PITA to get at.
Early Omegas, pre 1998, used reflector headlights.  These illuminate b y using the reflector in headlight to focus the beam out into road.

Post 98 Omegas use projectors that rather than using the reflective back of headlight to cast the beam out, the light is projected out from the bulb.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.