Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Breakdown  (Read 11242 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Re: Breakdown
« Reply #30 on: 29 October 2015, 17:29:54 »

Not sure the TD has servotronic at all, does it? Thought that was the preserve of the V6, but may be wrong.

In any case, no electrical failure mode will give you no assistance. Worst case it'll get a bit heavier but not enough to prompt a trip home on a recovery truck.

Given that the behaviour was RPM- related, my money is on a failure of the pump. :y

It was virtually solid, with just the vaguest hint of assistance at the sort of revs which wake the neighbours, so undriveable. (I did think of trying!)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 29 October 2015, 17:31:53 »

Presumably the belt is intact :-\

Affirm, first thing I checked. :y
I figured it would be but we all have our Homer Simpson moments ;)

Indeed, and up until Kevins post, I was feeling very stupid, as I had never thought the pump was electrically assisted in some way. (It may still be). I'm hoping Seth might tell me, I think he still has his TD. :y

aaronjb

« Reply #32 on: 29 October 2015, 17:40:32 »

AFAIK the servotronic actuator is also on the steering box, not the pump ;) It opens and closes a restrictive orifice to lower the fluid pressure when less assistance is required but, as said, even in it's 'default' position (if it were cream crackered) you'd still be able to drive & steer.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 29 October 2015, 18:33:19 »

AFAIK the servotronic actuator is also on the steering box, not the pump ;) It opens and closes a restrictive orifice to lower the fluid pressure when less assistance is required but, as said, even in it's 'default' position (if it were cream crackered) you'd still be able to drive & steer.

On the TD as well?

relluf

« Reply #34 on: 29 October 2015, 19:46:10 »

I have a f/l td sat on my drive at the moment ,just failed its MOT, and have not yet decided what to do with it but it will probably go to the big place wherever dead omegas go!
If you are struggling you can have the pump off this if that's within your timeframe( I wont have chance to do anything for about a week).

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 29 October 2015, 20:03:40 »

Actually, research shows that my suspicion was incorrect and the TD does have servotronic.

I still think it's the pump, though.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 29 October 2015, 22:31:49 »

I have a f/l td sat on my drive at the moment ,just failed its MOT, and have not yet decided what to do with it but it will probably go to the big place wherever dead omegas go!
If you are struggling you can have the pump off this if that's within your timeframe( I wont have chance to do anything for about a week).
Thks, but if I have to replace it, I'll try to fit a new one. :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 29 October 2015, 22:33:26 »

Actually, research shows that my suspicion was incorrect and the TD does have servotronic.

Thks Kevin, I'm inclined to agree. However, is it possible to check the relay on the bench with limited test equipment and a 12v supply? :y

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 29 October 2015, 23:14:42 »

I wouldn't know about testing the relay, but I do remember they are very expensive new from VX. somewhere in the region of £200 if my memory serves me. So, if you need one, second hand is the way to go.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 30 October 2015, 10:47:33 »

Thks Kevin, I'm inclined to agree. However, is it possible to check the relay on the bench with limited test equipment and a 12v supply? :y

It's not actually just a relay, although the appearance might make one assume that it is. It's actually an ECU which takes as an input the vehicle speed signal that's used to drive the speedometer, and outputs a pulsed signal that's used to modulate a valve in the steering box that alters the level of assistance of the steering.

A mapping within the ECU relates vehicle speed to level of assistance.

If the system is completely unpowered, the valve is open, allowing fluid to flow through a bypass passage in the box, and this results in a drop in hydraulic pressure at the steering box, giving the minimum level of assistance, so this is the worst case scenario. The minimum level of assistance is, I would say, roughly what you used to get in a car without PAS. I.e. noticeably more weighty, but you wouldn't worry at all about driving home.

At low road speeds, the servotronic ECU will close the valve progressively by pulsing its' actuator, increasing the available hydraulic pressure and the assistance provided.

So, it's not that easy to test on the bench, although it can be interrogated by Tech 2. I don't believe its' failure would give the symptoms you describe, however.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 30 October 2015, 11:43:14 »

Thanks very much Kevin, I am reluctantly forced to agree that it is most likely the pump. I will try replacing the servo Rl, I can swap one out of the 3.2, assuming they are the same, to check. :y :y :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 30 October 2015, 12:16:49 »

They are probably similar, but may have a different config.
Close enough to try it out, but I think you'll find it makes no difference.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 30 October 2015, 14:48:06 »

They are probably similar, but may have a different config.
Close enough to try it out, but I think you'll find it makes no difference.

Having just tracked it down, I think its easier to change the pump, which I am about to order. :y
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.