Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: 48 letters delivered?  (Read 11442 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: 48 letters delivered?
« Reply #60 on: 13 December 2018, 12:29:43 »

We can only hope that she has got the message that the backstop is unacceptable.  ::)

Its not her who needs to get that message .. it is the EU .....

You can't negotiate with someone who won't negotiate ... and at the moment they are saying take it or leave it .. so I say leave it .. no deal  :)

It's true that the EU are not being overly helpful. But it was we who chose to leave, and there are 27 other countries who have their own agenda. Actions and consequences.

This idea that Germany sell a large number of BMW and Mercedes to the UK so we can dictate terms and conditions to them and 26 other countries is pure fantasy.

The only REAL brexit is a 'no deal brexit'. Anything else is half in and half out..........much like the first time I had sex. 8)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 13 December 2018, 12:35:14 »

We can only hope that she has got the message that the backstop is unacceptable.  ::)

If if the backstop was removed by witchcraft the rest of the deal is pretty piss poor. Still more in the EU than out of it.

Brexit is supposed to be a brave new world. It looks like TM is afraid to let them go.

The fact that the rest of the deal is poor will be forgotten by the many. The backstop smokescreen has seen to that.. the whole thing is like a pantomime with unwilling cast members.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 13 December 2018, 12:41:13 »

The EU offered David Davis a better deal, Canada + type of thing, albeit with the Irish border issue still to be resolved. 
Talks were underway to resolve the border issue using technology, as is used in many other places, including Felixstowe for example, which has around around £70 billion of trade passing through it p.a. compared to the Irish border £3 billion.
As soon as Varadkar got elected he called a halt to this process as he saw an opportunity and a weak gullible British PM who he could manipulate.
The rest is history....in the making.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 13 December 2018, 12:42:45 »

That will do nicely.  :y...…………...A lot of politicians are determined to stop that from happening though.
Things are as clear as mud at the moment.

Not just the politicians, but the re-mainstream media as well.  ::)

The Guardian had a front page story a couple of days ago telling us that every lorry coming into Dover will have to be physically checked and that it will take eight hours to check each truck!  ::)

The fact that a tiny percentage of containers coming from outside the EU are physically checked and that all the UK port operators say that they can manage a No Deal situation just dosn't seem to register...  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 13 December 2018, 12:47:08 »

The fact that a tiny percentage of containers coming from outside the EU are physically checked and that all the UK port operators say that they can manage a No Deal situation just dosn't seem to register...  :-\

The British press (of any stripe or political alignment) have never been known to let actual facts get in the way of a front page story.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 13 December 2018, 13:03:53 »

The British press (of any stripe or political alignment) have never been known to let actual facts get in the way of a front page story.

That's true Jimmy and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that sort of shite in the Mirror, but I do expect the Guardian's analysis to be a little more thoughtful.  ::)

That's not to say that I agree with much of the shite that they do publish mind.  ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 13 December 2018, 14:08:28 »

Its alright kicking May out but wtf is there to replace her ::)

I give you the new leader of the Conservative party: https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/photos/the-funniest-photos-of-boris-johnson/

The tennis player Boris picture has a certain " my wife is also my sister " feel to it. :)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 13 December 2018, 17:25:03 »

The Guardian had a front page story a couple of days ago telling us that every lorry coming into Dover will have to be physically checked and that it will take eight hours to check each truck!  ::)

That's not the issue because we will soon decide to return to checking random containers. Although 8 hours to pick one, check it and the truck it's on, do all the paperwork and move it out doesn't sound unrealistic to me.

What we should be worrying about is the lorries going into the EU, which we don't control. It's not hard to see them physically checking each truck, and not allowing any more into each docks until there is room for them, just to teach us a lesson.

We all need to get used to hearing this phrase: but you wanted to leave

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 13 December 2018, 19:28:43 »

That's not the issue because we will soon decide to return to checking random containers. Although 8 hours to pick one, check it and the truck it's on, do all the paperwork and move it out doesn't sound unrealistic to me.

They already do random checks at Dover and they've been doing them for years.  I've been pulled over there by HMRC myself.  ;)

Eight hours to unload a truck and check every item on a manifest, could take 8 hours I agree, especially if it's a container load of small items like matchboxes for example and they decide to count every matchbox!  ::)

I think it's very unlikely that they will check much more than they do already, but who knows?  ::)  :-\

What we should be worrying about is the lorries going into the EU, which we don't control. It's not hard to see them physically checking each truck, and not allowing any more into each docks until there is room for them, just to teach us a lesson.

Yes it's quite possible that the French might get a little arsey, but the head of Calais port was quoted as saying that they wouldn't be increasing checks significantly as it would be economic suicide for France.  I think he was slapped down by Micron though.  ::)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 13 December 2018, 22:51:14 »

To be fair, I'm in that place already.

I was well aware how this would pan out (notwithstanding how most people hoped it would pan out) and a glance back at my pre-referendum posts on the matter confirm it. The EU were never going to agree to any deal that put us in anything other than a worse position than being full members, and there was never a political appetite to walk away with a no-deal. Which is why we were over a barrel from the beginning.  ;D

This is also why no-one in the Leave campaign could ever article what the end position would look like. Not before the referendum, or since.

As far as I'm concerned it was a stupid idea to begin with, and no amount of "let's pull together and make a success of it" is going to change my mind.  ::)

Which is no doubt sufficient grounds for being labelled a treacherous millennial snowflake ;)
« Last Edit: 13 December 2018, 22:53:40 by jimmy944 »

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 13 December 2018, 22:59:04 »

To be fair, I'm in that place already.

I was well aware how this would pan out (notwithstanding how most people hoped it would pan out) and a glance back at my pre-referendum posts on the matter confirm it. The EU were never going to agree to any deal that put us in anything other than a worse position than being full members, and there was never a political appetite to walk away with a no-deal. Which is why we were over a barrel from the beginning.  ;D

This is also why no-one in the Leave campaign could ever article what the end position would look like. Not before the referendum, or since.

As far as I'm concerned it was a stupid idea to begin with, and no amount of "let's pull together and make a success of it" is going to change my mind.  ::)

Which is no doubt sufficient grounds for being labelled a treacherous millennial snowflake ;)

Yeah. Although metaphorically, as I'm way too old to be a millennial ;D

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 13 December 2018, 23:22:18 »

All discussions on this subject seem to centre around financial considerations. Finance is of course important, but it isn't the most important thing in life.
This is about, and always has been about the fact that our status as a free, democratic, self governing nation has slowly been removed from us, without our consent and we have decided to reverse that process.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 14 December 2018, 00:16:32 »

Finance is of course important, but it isn't the most important thing in life.

True, but it's notable that the most leave-centric age group (baby boomers) are also the wealthiest generation, including those before and after them. Who notably enjoyed such prosperity, while under the auspices of the EU and preceding organisations. They are also now becoming part of the politically protected"grey vote" who will always benefit at the expense of generations that come after. In that position, I wouldn't be as focused on money either.

Certainly for me, the arguments about sovereignty are secondary to the financial benefits and personal rights and freedoms that come as part of being in the EU.

BUT, even parking that argument, I come back to the central question of: What did anyone think was going to happen?

At the risk of again putting predictions in print, No Deal wasn't and still isn't, and won't be in the future a politically viable option. As such, we were always going to take what the EU was willing to give. Ie a poor deal, same responsibilities, less say in how those are arrived at.

And as for striking good trade deals with the likes of the US, that was always a lie only believable by the terminally short sighted. Trump has niw openly said he wants to screw the NHS on drug prices as part of any trade deal. Which is only to be expected from the MAGA president.
« Last Edit: 14 December 2018, 00:18:35 by jimmy944 »

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 14 December 2018, 00:55:51 »

A few quick comments.

Baby boomers maybe enjoyed wealth under the auspices of the EU but not because of the EU. Mostly it was inherited wealth from the war generation.

You are thinking like most people. What is in it for me. Will I be better off and be able to enjoy the side benefits of the EU. MigV6 hits it on the head. Sovereignty is a hard earned but easily given away concept. That is the fundamental part I fight for. There might be hard times for a while but the EU know that and count on peoples inertia and fear to keep their ball rolling.

There is so much fear. The media use hackle raisng termnology all the time. Like “when we go over the cliff edge at the end of March” People nherently dont Lke change and yet have just sat back and handed Brussels power. So long as they have an iphone, fast broadband and a mcdonalds they don’t get give a damn.

A fnal thought. If the EU is such a good thing , how come there arent more elsewhere n the world?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

aaronjb

« Reply #74 on: 14 December 2018, 08:44:43 »

They already do random checks at Dover and they've been doing them for years.  I've been pulled over there by HMRC myself;)

Eight hours to unload a truck and check every item on a manifest, could take 8 hours I agree, especially if it's a container load of small items like matchboxes for example and they decide to count every matchbox!  ::)

44T of Escobar's finest sniffing sugar takes a good few hours to sample ignore impound, I'll bet.. ;) ;D

Off topic because if I read anything more about BREXIT I may be forced to string myself up by the neck...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.