Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: humbucker's 2004 Irmscher MV6 #irmscherMV6  (Read 100866 times)

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
  • VX Trade Card, Halfords Trade Card. Neat.
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
Re: humbucker's 2004 Irmscher MV6 #irmscherMV6
« Reply #60 on: 15 January 2015, 11:15:14 »

'Sup! The new issue of Total Vauxhall is sitting on newsstands, and it comes complete with the latest full #irmscherMV6 project update :) As ever, the magazine features some brilliant builds and some cracking motors (this month's bounty includes an awesome Mk1 Cavalier touring car, a 400bhp Corsa VXR, a V8-powered Opel Kadett C, a tidy Mk4 Astra cabriolet, an SR-badged Nova sleeper and much, much more!). Click here to find out where to buy/download/subscribe etc: http://is.gd/RmcKBt ;)

http://www.irmscherMV6.com | #irmscherMV6
Genuine Tech1 and Tech2 diagnostic services for Vauxhalls and Saabs available in and around Cambs.
PM with your requests.

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #61 on: 15 January 2015, 11:15:28 »

Regular readers will recall the Ronal Irmscher Sport Stars that I managed to get hold of for the MV6 project, and some may recall that I expressed a desire to change the colour of the staggered fitment 18-inchers from their factory shade of silver to a metallic anthracite. Tinted film pioneer, Foliatec, was also taking note, and the German company alerted me to the existence of its wheel-friendly spray film as I considered the various paint options at my disposal.

Sold as a single can or as a sub-fifty quid set that includes twin cans, cleaning wipes, masking tools and a fan nozzle attachment, the spray film is available in more than twenty different colours and can be used as a paint protector in addition to its role as a tinting tool. Best of all, removing the film is a simple case of peeling it off, which makes it ideal for those looking for cost-efficient temporary styling solutions, or – like me – those that are keen to try out colours in the hope of avoiding an expensive mistake at the wheel refurbishers!

The chunky five-spokes needed a thorough clean before any work could begin, and my Autobrite Direct wheel cleaner and 'Purple Rain 2.0' industrial fallout remover made light work of the traffic grime and road mank stuck to the inside of each rim. The arduous task of removing all sixty decorative bolts and masking their corresponding holes followed, and I left the bolts themselves in an acid bath while each wheel was furnished with Foliatec tyre protection cards that are designed to minimise the effects of overspray.

The film was applied thereafter, and I’m genuinely impressed with the results. Not only has it confirmed my belief that metallic anthracite was the right colour choice, but it has hidden the light surface scratches and paint irregularities that I inherited with the wheels when I bought them. It was easy to apply too, although a trip to the repair centre is still on the cards due to the discovery of slight kerbing on the inside lip of one of the rims.

The refreshed bolts were given a comprehensive cotton-bud clean before being reinstated, and the wheels should look fantastic when set against the solid black paintwork of the car. Talking of which, I’ve just offloaded a pile of exterior trim and various Irmscher bodykit components at the paint shop. Expect to see some cool cosmetic alterations pictured in the next project update!

THANKS

Foliatec.com
http://is.gd/vhZZrp

Autobrite Direct
01782 623819
http://www.autobritedirect.co.uk

Cleaned, masked and ready to roll!

An acid bath and a cotton bud clean for the decorative wheel bolts:

Tadaa!

Genuine Tech1 and Tech2 diagnostic services for Vauxhalls and Saabs available in and around Cambs.
PM with your requests.

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #62 on: 15 January 2015, 11:16:03 »

I visited Halfords in order to pick up some headlight bulbs for the Saab, and I remembered that the MV6 was in need of a new set of wiper blades. Flicking through the 'helpful' in-store booklet, I was surprised to see the same Bosch AeroTwin wiper listed for both the driver and passenger sides. I suspended disbelief by giving in to the benefit of the doubt; I bought them anyway, only to have to return to the store in order to buy the correct nearside wiper. Moral of the story: don't trust anyone!

Anyway, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all of you. And what better way to kick off the festive cheer than with the latest #irmscherMV6 project update?! Okay, there might be one or two other pursuits that spring to mind, but you can read all about the goings-on from 'camp MV6' by picking up a copy of the new issue of Total Vauxhall. As ever, there are some brilliant builds in the magazine (including a stunning Cavalier Turbo 4x4, a 365bhp C20LET-powered Corsa B sleeper, a 500bhp Nova sporting twin turbos, an Old Nail replica and much, much more!). Click here to find out where to buy/download/subscribe etc: http://is.gd/0mqKW7 Thanuverymush!

PM with your requests.

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #63 on: 15 January 2015, 11:16:29 »

Regular readers will remember that the first MV6 project update outlined my intention to source every item listed in the facelift Omega/MV6 Irmscher parts catalogue. This is easier said than done; not even Vauxhall’s official press vehicle featured a full complement of the German styling firm’s products!

Irmscher sold the last of their Omega-specific components a long time ago (let’s not forget that the newest example of the model is a decade old), which means that there aren’t any off-the-shelf parts to take advantage of. Ultimately, finding these cool cosmetic updates requires a beady eye, plenty of patience and a constant scan of auction and owners club websites.

That said, there are long-forgotten hidden treasures to be found buried deep within the store rooms of the nation’s Vauxhall dealerships – parts that have been collecting dust for years and that are often available at knockdown prices due to their classification as obsolete spares. As if to prove the point, I’ve managed to acquire a ‘brand new old stock’ Irmscher grille that was hiding within the murky depths of a Griffin sales centre in Wales. It set me back the princely sum of £35, which is less than half of what a used equivalent in average condition tends to fetch on eBay. Top banana!

The version that I’ve bought features a detachable and paintable outer surround to enable colour coding with the host vehicle (the vast majority of genuine Irmscher grilles sold in period feature a solid black plastic outer trim or chrome effect detailing). I’ve sent it to the paint shop for a lick of OE Z20C Black II. It wasn’t finished by the time that we went to press, but I’ve just taken delivery of a stack of additional exterior styling parts that I chose to offload at the same time.

Among this black bounty sits a replacement set of Irmscher side skirts, matching end caps and a rare Irmscher rear spoiler. The latter features a much deeper lip surface area than the Prodrive item that was fitted at the factory when the MV6 rolled off the production line. I’ve also had the car’s special edition rear bumper painted because it was exhibiting a number of unsightly scratches and a couple of annoying stone chips.

Another former dealer-fit optional extra that I’ve managed to get hold of comes in the form of a seldom-seen Irmscher raised rear wing. Back in the day, this was offered as an alternative to the aforementioned lip spoiler, but I’m determined to get both sitting comfortably alongside one another. It means that I’m going to have to attack the boot lid with my power drill, although the impending modification to the tail end of the car that will allow for the application of rear end components that I’ve sourced from America – items that were originally found on the Omega’s stateside sibling (the Cadillac Catera) – means that this is the least of my worries. More on that in my next update, when I also hope to have the freshly painted parts firmly attached to the MV6.

THANKS
The Body Shop
01945 475444

Irmscher raised wing and extended lip spoiler:

Irmscher side skirts:

Irmscher side skirt end caps (plus a spare):

The car's Irmscher rear bumper had a few stone chips that needed sorting:

Oh, and the previous owner appears to have nudged it into a wall at some point! It's nothing that The Body Shop can't fix:

Wahey! A brand new Irmscher front grille...

...which should transform the front end of the car:

Everything back from The Body Shop and covered in a fresh lick of Z20C Black II:

PM with your requests.

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #64 on: 15 January 2015, 11:16:52 »

Knees saved! My physiotherapist will be pleased   ;D

« Last Edit: 15 January 2015, 11:22:52 by humbucker »
PM with your requests.

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #65 on: 15 January 2015, 11:17:15 »

More to follow...  8) :y
PM with your requests.

omega3000

« Reply #66 on: 15 January 2015, 13:54:40 »

Excellent work , looks great matey  :y

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #67 on: 15 January 2015, 20:36:30 »

Excellent work , looks great matey  :y

Thanks for the positive feedback :) There's still plenty to do, but it certainly feels like progress is being made. More updates to follow  :y
PM with your requests.

serek

• Omega Knight
  • huntingdon
    • 3.2 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 15 January 2015, 21:06:46 »

geat project  :y :y

gstylebaby

• Omega Knight
  • stockport
  • Ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 15 January 2015, 22:20:25 »

Lovin this....Hey if you ever come across an opel irmscher grill for a mini facelift and at a good price please let me know as your doing a great job of finding parts....I can't find a fart in a bucket lol not that you would want one. ;D ;D

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 16 January 2015, 07:20:44 »

Great update - again....

Whats the oblong piece of bodywork underneath the lip spoiler...?
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

MV6Matt

• Omega Knight
  • London
  • Back in Black. Sensible size this time............
    • Meriva 1.6
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 16 January 2015, 08:56:21 »

.............hello again Dan, I've already told you that I like this thread and have meant to ask you frequently why none of the posts you made next door aren't on OOF.........

Having seen you OOF name, I realise you've been on this forum for ages anyway.

Keep the good stuff coming......

Matthew :y :y :y
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
(thanks Ian)

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 16 January 2015, 11:11:59 »

Lovin this....Hey if you ever come across an opel irmscher grill for a mini facelift and at a good price please let me know as your doing a great job of finding parts....I can't find a fart in a bucket lol not that you would want one. ;D ;D

I got one for a Facelift with the chrome surround :)
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #73 on: 16 January 2015, 14:56:22 »

geat project  :y :y

Thanks Sew :y It's funny to think that I bought the car over four and a half years ago! Then again, £500 for a six-year-old MV6 kitted out with a load of Irmscher gear and a stack of brand new genuine parts was impossible to ignore, even if I didn't have the time to do anything with it ;D

Thanks matey. I'll let you know if I stumble across the part that you're after.

Great update - again.... Whats the oblong piece of bodywork underneath the lip spoiler...?

It's a dismembered facelift Cadillac Catera 'trunk' panel. More on that to follow in my next update.

.............hello again Dan, I've already told you that I like this thread and have meant to ask you frequently why none of the posts you made next door aren't on OOF......... Having seen you OOF name, I realise you've been on this forum for ages anyway. Keep the good stuff coming...... Matthew :y :y :y

Mr Corbeau!  ;D :D Thanks again for the encouraging comments. I hadn't been posting updates on OOF as this forum doesn't allow for the retrospective editing of posts (unlike ABS, MIGweb, CavMk3OC etc.). In retrospect, I don't think it's going to be as much of a concern as I first thought, although it would be a handy bit of functionality for admin to introduce anyway  ;) ;D
PM with your requests.

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 16 January 2015, 16:04:10 »

Aaaaah a little 'spoiler' alert there then :)

Watching this thread with lots of interest :)

Keep-up the good work :)
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 19   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.