Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: brake flare tools  (Read 4307 times)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
Re: brake flare tools
« Reply #15 on: 02 May 2019, 10:30:03 »

Unions  M10 X 1mm
when I buy a car,one of the first jobs i do is check,clean,paint (or re-grease ) or replace any and all brake lines and hoses, I re-check pre MOT too
What do you paint them with?

BEFORE i paint, I inspect, if the lines have previously been greased ,I clean off all the grease ,dirt etc with brake cleaner, and inspect paying close attention to any pipe that passes through a clip,and remove the pipe from the clip IF I feel there may be rust inside  ,also checking any pipework that is out of sight (under exhaust heat shields etc ) because out of sight from MOT test does not mean they won't rust ,leak,fail , any lumpy sections get a LIGHT scrape to remove rust or flaking paint ,IF the rust is deep it's new pipe time, if a light sand results in a smooth pipe I then treat with "Curust " then decide if I will re-grease or paint.
same goes for the ferrules around the flexi hoses

once treated with curust ,and dry , IF i paint ,I use spray metal protection paint like hamerite (lidl and aldi do own brand cans about 3 quid sometimes) several coats required to ensure coverage all the way round the pipe ,into the clips etc.

I've also used spray zink galvanized paint recently ,don't know how robust that will be,
just before MOT I re-check all the pipework (along with stripping brakes etc etc )

The MOT tester I use is pretty strict on safety critical items like tyres ,brakes,corrosion to structure etc , which I consider a good thing  :)

why bother  :-\ because an MOT tester has a 45 minute window to check everything .

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 May 2019, 19:19:35 »

I thought that MOT testers were frowning on greased brake pipes these days?  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 May 2019, 19:34:27 »

I thought that MOT testers were frowning on greased brake pipes these days?  :-\
If they are worried that the grease is "covering up" dangerous corrosion ,they can use the corrosion assessment tool to lightly scrape the grease to see if it is covering up rust , many can't be bothered in the short time scale of a test.

they can put an advisory on the certificate too 

some people put grease on to hide bad corrosion , others put grease or paint on to protect the lines from rust .

in the same way that some people will slap in some "wet bread" into sills and smear with underseal , again ,the tester could put an advisory on the certificate,

another similar situation is when an engine under tray is fitted, makes it hard for a tester to examine subframe,inner tie rods etc

they can put an advisory on ,to cover themselves

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 May 2019, 20:04:12 »

Some manufacturers actually fit under trays and covers from new ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02 May 2019, 20:13:17 »

I doubt many people retro fit them ,but factory fit under-trays often flag up an advisory on many an MOT certificate

I wonder what the garages do with all the ones they forget to re-fit after service  ;D

do Omega have an undertray DG ? to cover the sump  :-\
I have the short one, just in front of the sump
the one that catches all the screws,parts and tools i drop  ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02 May 2019, 21:25:59 »

I doubt many people retro fit them ,but factory fit under-trays often flag up an advisory on many an MOT certificate

I wonder what the garages do with all the ones they forget to re-fit after service  ;D

They left the factory with that front gap cover :y

Judging by Car Wizards latest video, Cadillac barely bothered to paint the bottom of their cars :D

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02 May 2019, 21:45:03 »

They left the factory with that front gap cover :y

Judging by Car Wizards latest video, Cadillac barely bothered to paint the bottom of their cars :D

I don't think OPEL bothered to paint my Omega in places  >:(
had to rust treat the roof gutters both sides the other day  :o
only ever heard of 1 car fail an mot on roof structure rust  ;D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 03 May 2019, 00:06:10 »

I think it should be an instant failure.

Ever had a brake pipe fail? It's not good. If a steel brake pipe is a bit crusty, then its integrity is badly compromised. I've replaced several that if greased would have been considered good because a disinterested inspection was impossible. They were all unsatisfactory.

Trying to cover up damaged or otherwise suspect parts that are due a routine safety inspection is a moronic thing to do.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03 May 2019, 00:28:50 »

I think it should be an instant failure....

even as a preventative measure? Your's is a rather sweeping statement ....  ::)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 03 May 2019, 01:43:04 »

???
It doesn't actually prevent anything apart from a proper examination. The only prevention of corrosion is to remove  it.

So if coated in a substance it could reasonably be assumed to be perforated, especially if the brake performance isn't great, and therefore deemed a fail. If a dry, but aged, pipe gave the same brake performance, then it might be given the benefit of doubt as it can be adequately inspected to the satisfaction of the tester.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 03 May 2019, 10:46:24 »

???
It doesn't actually prevent anything apart from a proper examination. The only prevention of corrosion is to remove  it.

Prevention= The action of stopping something from happening or arising.

are you saying that everything made of metal should be left raw /bare  :-\ and when it starts to rust , replace it  ::)

Sorry DG and NICK , I completely disagree , my preventative rust treatment (and inspection every year ) let me own and daily drive a carlton until this time last year ,it wasn't scrapped , i sold it with 12 months MOT with no advisories ,most carltons had rusted away 15 years ago  :P

come the summer, I will be doing a fair bit of rust prevention etc on my Omega ,along with brake service (even though the discs and pads got replaced by a professional garage just before I brought it ) and various other service jobs to prevent future problems  ;D IF and when  :D I find problems I will address them ,
I have to say, opels "rust prevension " of Omega was very poor compared to carlton ,which was poor  :(

So if coated in a substance it could reasonably be assumed to be perforated, especially if the brake performance isn't great, and therefore deemed a fail. If a dry, but aged, pipe gave the same brake performance, then it might be given the benefit of doubt as it can be adequately inspected to the satisfaction of the tester.
perforate = pierce and make a hole or holes in

Brake performance won't be impacted in any way by corrosion on the metal pipe ,unless the metal pipe leaks , the NT has to examine all brake pipes and unions for leaks  (with engine running if servo assisted ) brake pedal applied .
the brake pipe being painted or greased would have no impact on the NT seeing a leak due to a perforated pipe , because brake fluid will p155 out with force under brake pedal pressure.

brake performance is helped by stripping the caliper ,cleaning and lubricating it ,so the caliper AND both pads , moves and does it's job , regular replacement of brake fluid , correct adjustment , which I do every year prior to test .

an MOT test is a quick look at the car for 45 minutes to check it's reasonably safe , many things are not checked,things can be missed by the NT, drive away from a test and a bulb can fail, spring snap, etc etc

the real problem with MOT and vehicle safety in general is many people drive all year, don't check the car at all, take it for a quick MOT, only fix the bare minimum flagged by the MOT and continue to drive for another year blissfully unaware of any issues .

YES, there are idiots who cover badly rusty brake pipes with grease in order to fool the NT  ::)
and YES,  There are garages who fail a car on brake pipes , give them a quick wire brush off and charge £££ then issue a pass .
YES there are MOT stations that issue certificates without even seeing the car .

just because you have an MOT certificate, does not mean your car is safe  ::)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 03 May 2019, 11:01:00 »

???

Prevention= The action of stopping something from happening or arising.

are you saying that everything made of metal should be left raw /bare  :-\ and when it starts to rust , replace it  ::)

Sorry DG and NICK , I completely disagree , my preventative rust treatment (and inspection every year ) let me own and daily drive a carlton until this time last year ,it wasn't scrapped , i sold it with 12 months MOT with no advisories ,most carltons had rusted away 15 years ago  :P

come the summer, I will be doing a fair bit of rust prevention etc on my Omega ,along with brake service (even though the discs and pads got replaced by a professional garage just before I brought it ) and various other service jobs to prevent future problems  ;D IF and when  :D I find problems I will address them ,
I have to say, opels "rust prevension " of Omega was very poor compared to carlton ,which was poor  :(

perforate = pierce and make a hole or holes in

Brake performance won't be impacted in any way by corrosion on the metal pipe ,unless the metal pipe leaks , the NT has to examine all brake pipes and unions for leaks  (with engine running if servo assisted ) brake pedal applied .
the brake pipe being painted or greased would have no impact on the NT seeing a leak due to a perforated pipe , because brake fluid will p155 out with force under brake pedal pressure.

brake performance is helped by stripping the caliper ,cleaning and lubricating it ,so the caliper AND both pads , moves and does it's job , regular replacement of brake fluid , correct adjustment , which I do every year prior to test .

an MOT test is a quick look at the car for 45 minutes to check it's reasonably safe , many things are not checked,things can be missed by the NT, drive away from a test and a bulb can fail, spring snap, etc etc

the real problem with MOT and vehicle safety in general is many people drive all year, don't check the car at all, take it for a quick MOT, only fix the bare minimum flagged by the MOT and continue to drive for another year blissfully unaware of any issues .

YES, there are idiots who cover badly rusty brake pipes with grease in order to fool the NT  ::)
and YES,  There are garages who fail a car on brake pipes , give them a quick wire brush off and charge £££ then issue a pass .
YES there are MOT stations that issue certificates without even seeing the car .

Very true,just means that for 45 mins on one day it met certain criteria :-\
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 03 May 2019, 11:34:00 »

:y
I'll probably be excommunicated ,banned from the forum ,Omega crushed ,sent to jail for the other statements  I made about brake pipes though  :D ;D

but I felt that the enthusiast's point of view on rust prevention should be aired ,because I know there are a few ,who don't post on OOF much ,that would probably agree with most of what i said  ;)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 03 May 2019, 11:36:36 »

:y
I'll probably be excommunicated ,banned from the forum ,Omega crushed ,sent to jail for the other statements  I made about brake pipes though  :D ;D

but I felt that the enthusiast's point of view on rust prevention should be aired ,because I know there are a few ,who don't post on OOF much ,that would probably agree with most of what i said  ;)

I've been in the motor trade 30 odd years now and still apply Waxoyl to the cars I buy/run,I see first hand the ones I've done 10 years previous and topped up that are still sound underneath :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 03 May 2019, 12:05:44 »

Just to add...
I do scrape, wire brush, tap with hammer (much harder than an MOT tester is allowed  ) and inspect , all prescribed areas treated with factory and aftermarket rust prevention each year, re-apply when needed, during my pre MOT inspection.
last year I sent 2 astra G estates to the crusher because of rust 
I could have snotted a couple of plates over the small area of rust (about the size of a 10P ), I chose not to 
I flagged it as a problem BEFORE MOT and binned them .
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.