Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Head gasket replacement on an Astra 1.8  (Read 6925 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Head gasket replacement on an Astra 1.8
« Reply #30 on: 19 March 2019, 04:43:08 »

If she needed an excuse to stop driving, if only for the safety of others, this could well be it.

If she had killed someone whilst uninsured then you would be on the hook for knowingly facilitating her actions.
Onanists always think outside the box.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 19 March 2019, 07:59:48 »

If she needed an excuse to stop driving, if only for the safety of others, this could well be it.
[/highlight]If she had killed someone whilst uninsured then you would be on the hook for knowingly facilitating her actions.
How so? Her car insurance policy clearly states that she has cover to drive any other car with the owner's permission, not owned by her and not under a hire purchase agreement to her, so long as it is insured by the owner for use on the road, third party risks only. Now it looks like that policy expires on demise of insured vehicle. I have looked at my various car insurance policies, that is not how they read. When I offered her the use of my car I specifically asked whether her policy would cover her. Please enlighten.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 19 March 2019, 09:48:34 »

Her existing policy will be finished at the point the insured car being written off. So she now needs to insure something else in order to have cover in that way, or be added as named driver (usually expensive if NOT at same address).

In addition, be wary of adding her as named driver on YOUR policy, as another accident will severely impact YOUR own premiums, as its YOUR policy that gets claimed on. Protected NCD or otherwise.

I think it would be wise for her to get an assessment of some kind, maybe from her doctor, that she is still OK to drive.  A professional opinion is worth more than any of us can suggest without knowing all the details.
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 19 March 2019, 09:54:44 »

Her existing policy will be finished at the point the insured car being written off. So she now needs to insure something else in order to have cover in that way, or be added as named driver (usually expensive if NOT at same address).

In addition, be wary of adding her as named driver on YOUR policy, as another accident will severely impact YOUR own premiums, as its YOUR policy that gets claimed on. Protected NCD or otherwise.

I think it would be wise for her to get an assessment of some kind, maybe from her doctor, that she is still OK to drive.  A professional opinion is worth more than any of us can suggest without knowing all the details.

Agreed. Or a session with a driving instructor to give her some constructive advice. If she's having this sort of incident it's not reasonable to carry on regardless, IMHO. Someone could lose their life next time.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 19 March 2019, 09:57:33 »

Having given consent by virtue of giving her your keys.

But you miss the point...

Previous car was sold with battle scars. The car that replaced it was written off along with others during a loss of control in a confined space. Next time could be another significant escalation.

I know it is a difficult subject to breach, and perhaps her GP is best placed to do so.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 19 March 2019, 11:35:26 »

Neither Kathleen or I understood that the contract ends when the car insured is written off. I do not see it on the certificate, it could be somewhere deep in the contract small print. Her policy expires in April and they have invited renewal, further confusing us.

30 years ago my father ran 2 cars in succession into his gatepost, and I managed to persuade him to stop driving before he killed somebody. Kathleen is younger than me. She did consult her GP, who assured her she was still fit to drive. I have advised her get a manual gearbox car next time. She has 3 daughters, perhaps they will persuade her. My wife has stopped driving at 72 due to failing eyesight.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 19 March 2019, 12:17:31 »

Age has no bearing on fitness Mum surrendered hers at 62 as the direct result of a heart issue which caused her to temporarily black out without warning.

Having fortunately not had an episode for a handful of years, she could, in theory resume driving, but she won't in case the issue returns and the first anyone knows about it is a group of people getting mown down.

If she is struggling with it, then your sister has both a moral and legal obligation to surrender her license.

At the very least she needs to submit to some form of unbiased assessment.

Forcing her into a more complicated car won't improve her coordination or spatial awareness.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 19 March 2019, 15:31:24 »

Today I rang sister. 'Not to worry', says she, 'all sorted now'. She took a bus to Radstock, rang Dave Fowler, car salesman, who picked her up in his car. She has agreed to buy an ex-Motability 3 year old manual Corsa, after her coach holiday in Chester next week. 'I expect your insurance will go up now', said I, ever cheerful', 'No', said she, 'I have a protected no claims bonus, so it won't go up at all'.

She is passionate Baptist Christian, and everything turns out all right for her, drives me mad. 2 years ago she underwent a 9 hour lumbar fusion operation, to correct an occasional leg pain, and got away with it, operation great success. When I learn the colour I will let you know to give it wide bearth if ever in this neck of the woods.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 19 March 2019, 15:53:30 »

Today I rang sister. 'Not to worry', says she, 'all sorted now'. She took a bus to Radstock, rang Dave Fowler, car salesman, who picked her up in his car. She has agreed to buy an ex-Motability 3 year old manual Corsa, after her coach holiday in Chester next week. 'I expect your insurance will go up now', said I, ever cheerful', 'No', said she, 'I have a protected no claims bonus, so it won't go up at all'.

She is passionate Baptist Christian, and everything turns out all right for her, drives me mad. 2 years ago she underwent a 9 hour lumbar fusion operation, to correct an occasional leg pain, and got away with it, operation great success. When I learn the colour I will let you know to give it wide bearth if ever in this neck of the woods.

I'm afraid she is in for a VERY rude awakening .... she might well have a protected no claim bonus... that will reduce her premium by a fixed percentage .... the no claim bonus ... it will have no bearing on the actual policy cost.

As an example ... if her protected no claim bonus is 50%, and her previous policy was £200, she recieved a 50% discount and so paid £100

Having had two accidents in short succession, one causing a write off, her basic premium will rise .. lets say it doubles to £400 (could well be much more given age and recent events) .. with the 50% discount (fixed) she will have to pay £200 .. so her costs will double.

:(

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 19 March 2019, 18:51:35 »

Baptist or not, I wager that this car will be pranged before Ascension Day...

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 19 March 2019, 20:51:02 »

As her brother, how will you feel if the next prang is a bus stop full of school children  ???
Being a  Christian, God might forgive her, I doubt the parents would .

get the family together and try and persuade her to stop driving .

The money saved on hiked insurance, replacing the smashed car, car tax, fuel ,repair costs etc would pay for a lot of taxi rides

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 19 March 2019, 22:09:14 »

As her brother, how will you feel if the next prang is a bus stop full of school children  ???
Being a  Christian, God might forgive her, I doubt the parents would .

get the family together and try and persuade her to stop driving .

The money saved on hiked insurance, replacing the smashed car, car tax, fuel ,repair costs etc would pay for a lot of taxi rides
I hear what you say, Dave.
Kathleen did approach her GP, who assured her she was fit to drive. She has 3 daughters, one a GP married to a company director, one a NHS executive married to a company director, and the third a teacher in a private school. The last lives half a mile from my sister. Kathleen does not drive far, I do 10000 miles a year in 20 year old cars which I maintain myself. I am full of good advice, but no-one takes it. I am not the man to organise a kangaroo court. If anyone is, it is Anthony, husband of the teacher living half a mile away; he is pompous enough.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 19 March 2019, 22:21:11 »

Try not to worry about something you can,t do anything about, let others do it. Just concentrate on what you can control. Works for me. :y

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 20 March 2019, 18:04:28 »

£700 buy it now with 12 months mot clicky
mot history has no nasty pointers
about as close to you as the other one  :-\
I could not find that car on e-bay, don't know why. It has ended now, bother. I say this bcause my best Omega has failed its MOT test substantially - failed emissions on lambda, exhaust leak RH section (this may be cause of lambda problem),
 Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength Offside Rear (inner wheel arch)
                                                   ditto                                                                                       Nearside
This car may be beyond economical repair, so if you see any other Astras like the above, please advise.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 20 March 2019, 21:21:58 »

fat corsa  ;D or Meriva ,like you wanted to buy off a relative Clicky Bristol,17 miles 50k  MOT feb 20

or you could just sort the welding etc on the omega , what price did the garage want to do ALL the work and give you an MOT ? if £500 or less ,why not just get the work done if your happy with the omega.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 23 queries.