Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: CID in "full" use  (Read 38716 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: CID in "full" use
« Reply #30 on: 21 July 2014, 20:10:57 »

When looking at Volvo's, some V70's came with full TV/Sat Nav, popup colour screen, this looked good.

=1&tx_commerce_pi1[path]=19]http://www.imiv.ca/cms/products/product-list/imiv-classic-packages/?tx_commerce_pi1[mDepth]=1&tx_commerce_pi1[path]=19

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 21 July 2014, 21:49:54 »

When looking at Volvo's, some V70's came with full TV/Sat Nav, popup colour screen, this looked good.

=1&tx_commerce_pi1[path]=19]http://www.imiv.ca/cms/products/product-list/imiv-classic-packages/?tx_commerce_pi1[mDepth]=1&tx_commerce_pi1[path]=19

A lot of these boxes simply break into the CD Changer loom and interface the Ipod as a collection of tracks through the disc selection.

Volvo Sat Nav.... errrr have a word with Josh and see what he says!

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 21 July 2014, 22:12:41 »

Beats me why anyone would want to watch TV on a tiny CID  :-\

A reversing camera would be good though, or utilising a CID with a double din aftermarket unit and pushing the NAV display up to it so it's in a more sensible place.

We've been down this road though, I thought. They CID, 2013/15, Telematics only works as a group, all designed together. Even DaveDnd couldn't find an HU designed to work with a remote display, iirc....?

Wouldn't want an aftermarket HU anyway personally, I've already got a phone cradle and harmon Kardon modulator screen and controller in the car.

I just think it would be great to have a video in, to the CID, then anything would be displayed, as required. No?

Ahh, you miss understand me! Perhaps I should have explained better but the dog needed walking!

Ditch the NCDC and Telematics, replace with a quality Double Din head unit with built in Nav, Bluetooth (for phone), Ipod Integrated connectivity or USB slot for MP3 storage option and video and audio out. Modify CID with RGB interface board and connect to Head unit for displaying HU info / NAV in parallel with head unit display. Install half height mid/tid somewhere (perhaps put in case and put on centre console ledge in-front of centre air vents) and swap stalk over

Of course you'll also need to replace the speakers with something better with matching ohms and put a nice little amp in the boot.

I know it's a mammoth task but would be a nice project. Biggest problem to me would be finding a quality head unit that looks acceptable in the centre of an Omega Dash, I think customising the bezel with the same style of rubberised coating as the switches would be the only option - there usually aren't many buttons on these units as they are touch screen.

Plenty of people have moved the display in Vauxhalls:-

http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/showthread.php/410121-Relocating-the-MFD-to-2nd-din-slot

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=move+astra+display&safe=off&tbm=isch&ei=OIHNU7X3IeXH7AbQ64C4DQ#facrc=_&imgrc=Bm3HSZhWi5fT5M%253A%3Bif11k0FDDQGxLM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.r1ck.com%252Fastra%252Ftomtom%252Froof.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.astraownersnetwork.co.uk%252Farchive%252Findex.php%252Ft-53248.html%3B800%3B600

chrisgixer

« Reply #33 on: 24 July 2014, 17:33:06 »

So, this CID input. How do we go about making a board? Local machinist? CNC'd?

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 24 July 2014, 17:44:34 »

Need someone who can make up the printed circuit board from the images ideally. Would be far easier to be able to by the full kit and just have to solder on the components.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 28 July 2014, 11:50:46 »

Need someone who can make up the printed circuit board from the images ideally. Would be far easier to be able to by the full kit and just have to solder on the components.

Designing and manufacturing PCB's is a lot easier and cheaper than it used to be. We do it all the time here at work. For small runs (i.e.less than 50 boards), try www.pcbtrain.co.uk. They will manufacture high quality PCB's in up to 6 layers. If you've got a parts list, they will also quote to assemble them for you. If the circuit contains surface mount components I would not reccomend selling 'kits' since assembly is beyond most folks soldering capabilities, and you'd end up with a lot of whinging customers.

chrisgixer

« Reply #36 on: 28 July 2014, 16:54:36 »

Wooohohooo my imagination is running away with me now LCO 112G :y

Can we use their expertise to add wifi connectivity and stream video too it. Can we build in Bluetooth and stream audio to it? Can we have numerous inputs and outputs for head rest and roof mounted screens for those that might want it? Can we can we hmm? :)

...or shall we just keep it simple aye. ;D

Good shout, IMO anyway. (But I know nothing about sparks :( )

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 28 July 2014, 21:38:47 »

Wooohohooo my imagination is running away with me now LCO 112G :y

Can we use their expertise to add wifi connectivity and stream video too it. Can we build in Bluetooth and stream audio to it? Can we have numerous inputs and outputs for head rest and roof mounted screens for those that might want it? Can we can we hmm? :)

...or shall we just keep it simple aye. ;D

Good shout, IMO anyway. (But I know nothing about sparks :( )

You misunderstand. PCBtrain will make the PCB's and assemble the components onto them ready for sale. But someone else has to design the circutry and PCB in the first place. All the things on your wish list are probably possible though.

05omegav6

« Reply #38 on: 29 July 2014, 02:23:15 »

And readily available aftermarket...

Example only, but you get the point... http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-sony-xnv-l77bt_p-26593.htm

chrisgixer

« Reply #39 on: 29 July 2014, 05:27:05 »

And readily available aftermarket...

Example only, but you get the point... http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-sony-xnv-l77bt_p-26593.htm

If anyone thinks I'm binning my CID in the dash, Bose speaker set, check control, Bc, And oe appearance for one of those they have another thing coming.

The only thing missing from the oe system is inputs. That's it.

Not to mention price or that type of unit. No way. You forget Al, i've seen yours ping the dash surround off every time the wrong button is pressed. It does have a self destruct button does it ;D

The whole ease of use of the CID is that the visual point is just to the left of the speedo for general use. Putting the screen in the head unit is not an improvement. Sorry.
« Last Edit: 29 July 2014, 05:30:16 by ropeman »

chrisgixer

« Reply #40 on: 29 July 2014, 05:30:57 »

And, it's made by Fony.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 29 July 2014, 09:59:48 »

While I agree with you about the OEM look, I'm afraid i'll have to disagree about binning the Bose, of all the Omega Bose setups I've listened too I'd say there's only two that have an acceptable tightness and definition from the speakers - basically the speakers are all old an tired, but then they would be after 12+ years!

What's required is a set of 2 Ohm speakers with similar response levels and in the same sizes....... Ah well, never mind!
« Last Edit: 29 July 2014, 10:04:48 by VXL V6 »

05omegav6

« Reply #42 on: 29 July 2014, 10:13:54 »

Was one example, and most every manufacturer produces a similar unit :y the Kenwood version is well received, for example.

Mine still has functioning BC, so not sure where you're coming from there :-\ any functionality mine lacks is because it's plod, and nowt to do with the HU...

You wouldn't need the CID with a 7" colour touch screen... and Bose seems to be a marmite thing too ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 29 July 2014, 10:40:16 »

IMHO the screens on double din HU's are too low in an Omega to be useful. And it really pains me to agree with gixer ;D
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #44 on: 29 July 2014, 10:43:39 »

IMHO the screens on double din HU's are too low in an Omega to be useful. And it really pains me to agree with gixer ;D
But they do offer all the functionality on the list straight out of the box though :-\ and being low down, you're removing the temptation of watching things on the move ::)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 21 queries.