Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: spark plug test with coil pack removed  (Read 740 times)

wardgailey

• GA
    • 2000 Cadillac Catera
    • View Profile
spark plug test with coil pack removed
« on: 23 July 2014, 14:47:16 »

Anyone have any advice on how to proceed with a commercial or homemade test of the spark plugs firing with the coil pack removed? Water is getting into my plug well on #2 cylinder, causing it to arch and thusly miss. I need to see it in action. I know I will need a plug wire that runs from the plug to the coil pack which should also be highly insulated for safety. I just could use some advice on the process. We want to see where exactly the water is coming from. We are not convinced that is is a deep engine problem such as a cracked block or head gasket yet. Surely someone has had this issue.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: spark plug test with coil pack removed
« Reply #1 on: 23 July 2014, 15:14:46 »

Water will be coming from the scuttle, a smear of clear silicone around the base of the wiper arm will fix it.

Check the padding under the scuttle, above the plenum, most likey be soaking wet  :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 July 2014, 16:32:58 »

As Tunnie has stated, it can only be rain water or a leak from a coolant pipe above the area.

It cant be a cracked head as the coolant passages are some distance from that area (the galleries around the plug well are all full of oil at or below atmospheric pressure) and similarly, the block is miles away and gravity is working against it!  :y

Try tasting the tiniest amount of the water, if its sweet its coolant, if its not then its rain water.

chrisgixer

« Reply #3 on: 23 July 2014, 20:21:56 »

Run a hose pipe or watering can or whatever, across the screen and view the under side of the scuttle from the engine bay. You'll see immediately where the water is coming from.

As Tunnie says, a bead of silicon/gutter seal/instant gasket/cam cover goo or whatever you have to hand, along the metal edge of the scuttle drain above the 246 bank will seal it to the plastic scuttle under the windscreen. And around the wiper spindle directly above 135.

Once sealed, replace the plugs and cp if damaged and away you go.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.